FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 20 part 1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie kisses Logan.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 20 part 1 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

I want to wish all my fans a very blessed New Year. My prayer is that 2020 only brings you happiness.

It's Wednesday evening. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 8 days. LOL


Ending of Previous Post:

Mark chuckled. "It seems like it's impossible to get a date with you." He eyed Logan. "Have you had a date with her?"

Logan grinned. "I have not."

Her eyebrows crunched together. "Logan and I are friends. That's all. He'll be returning to Fort Bragg in a few weeks."

Turning toward the door, Mark said, "I guess I'll try another time." He eyed McKenzie. "Any idea when you'll be free?"

"As soon as I solve this case, but it isn't moving very fast. I keep hitting roadblocks. I'm sure you'll be able to read about it in the newspaper when it's solved. It's pretty big."

"Okay. I'll see you then." Mark left.

McKenzie faced Logan. "Why do people assume we're a couple?"

"No clue. Ready to leave?"

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 20 PART 1

Logan parked in Jose's driveway as McKenzie scanned the police detail parking around the area. "I'm getting tired of being followed."

Opening the car door for her, Logan grinned. "I'm sure they're getting tired of following you. It's pretty boring."

"I guess you're right." She held out her hands. "Let me help." Logan handed her the salad and the French bread. "I can carry more."

He lifted the box. "I got this."

"You just want to show off your bulging muscles. I've got you figured out."

"Really?"

"You feel Mark's competition."

Logan shook his head. "What are you talking about?" He studied her for a moment. "Why would I think that?"

Jose opened the door and laughed. "I heard you two arguing all the way inside. I don't need a doorbell." He glanced at his wife. "They go at it like this all day."

Lucy hugged McKenzie and took the bread and salad from her. "I know. I witnessed it at the hospital. Just like an old married couple. What are you arguing about this time?"

"Logan wouldn't let me carry the box because he was trying to impress me with his bulging muscles."

Jose grinned. "So you noticed he has bulging muscles?"

McKenzie's cheeks tinged pink. "I never said that."

Grinning and shaking his head, Logan asked, "Where do you want me to put this?" After setting the box down, he added, "Dinner should still be hot. Do you want to eat now or warm it up later? Either way, we can continue to tease Mac."

Poking his arm, McKenzie said, "You don't need to continue teasing me."

Lucy took some plates from the cupboard. "Let's eat now."

Logan began setting dinner on the table. He smiled as he watched McKenzie's cheeks continue turning various shades of pink to crimson. When he finished, he walked over and put his arm around her waist. "It's okay."

Jose walked over to Lucy and put his uninjured arm around her and said, "See, I told you they were a couple. There's evidence."

"We are NOT a couple." McKenzie sighed. "I don't know why people keep insisting we are." She faced Logan, put her arms around him, and kissed him. The kiss lingered as Logan returned it. "Now are you happy? We're a couple."

Kissing her cheek, Logan grinned. "I'm happy." He glanced at Jose and Lucy as he winked. "How about you two?"

Lucy pointed to the chairs. "Let's sit."

McKenzie stared at her feet. "Logan, I'm...
"
When she hesitated, Logan took her hand. "It's okay. Let's eat." He led her to the table.

"Sorry."

Jose sat. "I've finally lived long enough to witness Mac's spunk get the best of her. Thank you, Logan."

Holding up his hands, Logan said, "I did nothing except receive a kiss. A very nice kiss, I might add."

"Pass the salad, please," interrupted McKenzie. As she accepted the salad from Lucy, she replied, "Thank you."

After McKenzie passed Logan the salad, he asked, "Jose, how's the shoulder, and when can you go back to work?"

"I'm okay. I'll go back tomorrow, but I'm restricted to desk duty for close to a month." He paused. "Anyway, I can help you guys? While I'm there, I can be a spy at headquarters."

McKenzie's eyes widened. "I almost forgot. I could use George Whitney's phone number. We want to make it off Megan's phone records." After Jose, searched his phone and gave her the number, she continued, "Thanks. I'm pretty sure Sidney Parks is behind a lot of this, but I can't come close to proving it. His name shows up more than any other."

She chewed on her lower lip. "But you'd need to be really careful. If he's guilty, he's also the one behind Monday evening's shooting. I'm sure he has people working for him. We don't know who we can trust at the police department." She spooned some casserole on her plate.

Logan set his fork down. "Mac's right. If we're right, he's dangerous."

As they continued eating and talking, the doorbell rang. Jose stood. "I wonder who that could be. Excuse me." He left.

"Hello, Detective Parks. Welcome. We just sat down to eat. A few friends brought dinner over. Would you like to join us?"

McKenzie started coughing.

Logan touched her arm. "You all right?"

She whispered, "Yes, what's he doing here?"

"Good question."

Sidney answered Jose's question, "Thank you, but I'm on my way home. My wife has already reminded me twice that dinner's ready. She and the kids are waiting. I heard you're returning tomorrow. I just wanted to see how you're doing. Wanted to make sure you weren't trying to come back too soon."

"Thanks for checking. I'm restricted to paperwork for at least a month."

"Is there anything I can do for you or your beautiful wife?"

"No. We're both fine. Again, thank you for asking."

Parks stepped into the dining room and waved. "Hello. Nice to see you again."

The three people at the table smiled and greeted him.

Lucy stood. "Are you sure you wouldn't like to join us? There's plenty of food."

"No, thank you. I really do need to get home. My family's waiting." He turned and walked toward the door. "Enjoy your meal. It looks good. Major Nelson, you must be a great cook."

After he left, Logan got up and stood at the side of the window. Once he was sure Parks left the area, he came back to the table. "He's gone."

McKenzie took out her phone. "Bill, Sidney Parks just left Jose's house. He didn't actually threaten him, but he did overtly. Can you make sure Lucy's safe? It wouldn't hurt to make sure Jose has somebody too." She listened. "Of course, Logan and I will be careful going home. We won't be late." Again, she listened. "I'll call when we get home." She blushed. "Yes, Logan's still spending the night." After she hung up, she glared at Jose. "On the couch."

Jose laughed. "I didn't say a word."

"You didn't have to. Your eyes said plenty."

"Mac, do you really think it's necessary I have security?" asked Lucy.

"I do. I don't think it was a coincidence that he showed up here, discussed his wife and kids, and mentioned how beautiful you were." McKenzie paused, "You are beautiful, but he made a point of saying it." She turned toward Logan. "We have a leak. Remember, earlier this afternoon, I called Mitch and asked about Parks' family."

"Are you sure Mitch can be trusted?" Logan took a sip of water. "Positive?"

"I trust him with my life. Dad and he worked together for years." She thought for a minute. "How did he know you cooked this? How did he or they know we were going to be at the Tin Roof? I had assumed we were followed. That hit would've had to been planned in advance."

Jose pointed his fork. "I hadn't thought about it, but you're right."

"Nobody knew we were going except the three of us, Bill, and Mitch." McKenzie took out her phone and called Bill again. "Can you get a hold of a bud detector? I think my home's been bugged." She proceeded to explain why she thought that. After she listened for a while she added, "The house is vacant when we take the dogs for a run." Again, she listened. "Logan got a backpack for Arlo, so he goes too." Silence. "Thank you, Bill. I'll let you know when we leave."

Logan's eyebrows rose. "Well?"

"He'll bring one by when we get home. Having my house bugged would explain how Parks is always one step ahead of us."

McKenzie took a slow drink of water. "Joshua Davis." She titled her head and paused. "We never really questioned him about anything that happened on the Sunday Donnie disappeared. Did he have any visitors? If so, who? How long were they there? Did they leave together? We need to do a background check on him." She took out her phone and called Mitch. After she discussed what she wanted, she continued, "Logan and I will talk with him tomorrow."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Tadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later in the novel

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google photo of a kissing couple. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little under 1400 words. I hope you don't mind the length. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your generous support.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement