FanStory.com - The Real Reasonby aryr
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A contest entry
The Real Reason by aryr
Christmas Story contest entry
Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

It was the day before Christmas, yep, the 24th, which was commonly called Christmas Eve.

Everyone was busy, doing something that they considered important. It was indeed important to them. Some were shopping for last minute gifts, then took advantage of the wrapping service, which closed at three pm. Others were wrapping their gifts behind their closed bedroom doors.

There were also folks who did things the traditional way, by waiting until the 24th to put up their trees. All of the other decorations appeared well before the 25th but the tree did not get decorated until Christmas Eve. Several of these people bought their trees when they went on sale but left it naked until today.

Now in my case, I was cooking ahead, anything I could. The dressing was mixed and cooked, ready to be stuffed in the bird tomorrow. The turnips and carrots were boiling as were the potatoes. All of these would be mashed, before being stored.

The cookies had been made two days ago and safely tucked in tins. The stocking goodies were hidden away. Even Aunt Hazel had sent over her fruit cake, which everyone politely took only to be fed to the two dogs. Her jellied mold which was quite delicious though. Heaven only knows why she needed to have these things at my house two days before, but only she knew the answer.

With the vegetables cooking, I started mixing the cake. I had started this tradition, when I was about thirteen. I made a simple, small, white slab cake and decorated it with white icing with blue lettering.

As I got older and became a mother, I continued my idea, with a slight twist. Whoever was the youngest at the table was given the honor of blowing out the single candle. In years to come, I changed it even more, letting the youngest pick out the flavor of the cake. We have had chocolate, white, yellow, checker-board, carrot and one year we had a jello cake. That was indeed entertaining. For those interested, you start with a white or yellow cake, bake it, then when it is cool you poke holes in it with a toothpick and pour the jello over it which drips into the holes. Oh, the jello is made with one cup of hot water, no cold. Then you ice it.

The twins, who were grandchildren, were made two cakes with candles. And for five years they held the reign.

The concept is that whatever kind of cake is made, it is decorated with white icing, blue lettering and a single candle. The youngest person at the table gets to blow out the candle. The lettering says, 'Happy Birthday Jesus', and the child starts the singing of the happy birthday song.

This is our way of remembering for a couple of moments the real reason for celebrating Christmas Day-the birth of Christ. Some of my daughter-in-laws and even their parents have adopted this tradition, as well as many friends. We could all set aside the commercial aspects of the season and remember the real reason to celebrate.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Years.

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you to VMarguarite for 'Celebration!'

     

© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement