FanStory.com - Cedar Fallsby judester
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A ghost story
Cedar Falls by judester
    Ghost Story Contest Winner 

Sarah looked up from her crossword puzzle and croissant. A man had just walked in without knocking and she found that rude. Actually, he was the first person she had seen all week.

She had arrived to the quaint bed and breakfast with no one to greet her last week. The key beneath the mat opened the rustic front door. The log cabin was nestled into the snowy cedar forest. Open plan design and spacious, but the antique four poster bed was the highlight. The stone fireplace, wooden writing desk and comfy chairs created a wonderfully cozy place for anyone to write and relax.

Her dog Rosco growled softly, but remained at her feet.

The man began to measure the room and go through the closets.

Perhaps the owners were having work done, but still, a knock and hello would be nice she thought.
Sarah sat quietly and watched him make his way around the large room. His phone rang and startled Sarah.
`
''Yeah, I`m here at Cedar Falls now. Pretty remote I'd say. Four units,yup, all in good shape.''
The man leaned against the counter as he listened to the person on the other end.
''I just got back this morning. I was in Corner Brook all week. Tuesday you say. That`s a real shame.''

He shook his head sadly and hung up.

He packed up his briefcase, closed it with a firm snap then left Sarah and Rosco alone once more.

With a deep sigh, she finished her cold tea and stood up.
''Let's go boy.''

Sarah scooped her dog into her arms and walked towards the mysterious light that had been bothering her since Tuesday.





Writing Prompt
Write a Ghost Story. No limit on the word count. No poetry.
Ghost Story
Contest Winner

Author Notes
Thanks to P W RYAN for the artwork.
She tried to rescue her dog and they both died going over Cedar Falls.Not realizing that she was dead, she now knew to go towards the light.

     

© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement