FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 18 part 1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Is Logan jealous???
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 18 part 1 by barbara.wilkey
Book of the Month contest entry

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

It's Wednesday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 8 days. LOL


Ending of Previous Post:

"Do you want to know my entire dating history?" He paused. When she didn't answer, he continued, "I'll gladly share it with you."

"It's not necessary. Besides it's none of my business."

"True, it's not, but I don't have anything to hide. If it'll help you become more comfortable with me, I'll tell you."

Her eyes avoided his, as she said, "I've dated some men, but have never been seriously involved. I've never been with a man. I mean really been with a man."

He held her hand. "That's nothing to be ashamed of." He kissed her forehead. All of this makes more sense now.

"I wasn't crying upstairs and I'm not going to cry now."

Logan grinned. "I know you're not." When he felt she was more composed, he said, "Mac, I'm safe. I'll never hurt you, in any way."

Her eyes met his. "I know that. I really do know it."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 18 PART 1

The following morning, McKenzie came down the stairs and watched Logan throw some clothes in the dryer. He had just returned from a run with Edger and Arlo. He glanced at her. "I hope you don't mind me doing laundry. I threw some in the washer before our run. You're going to the gym today, right?"

"Yes. I don't like running on a treadmill. They're boring, but I guess I don't have a choice."

"You're right. Treadmills are boring. Give me a few minutes and I'll be ready to leave." Logan went over to the refrigerator and grabbed a couple of water bottles. "How many do you want?"

"Maybe two. I want to do JKD. I missed it on Monday. If nobody's there, will you spar with me?"

He handed her the water bottles. "Sure, before or after the run?"

"I'm not sure which would be the best. I also want to do weights. I'm feeling flabby."

Logan grinned. "I guess it's whatever order you want. My only advice would be to take a break between each one."

Glancing at her watch, McKenzie said, "If we leave now we can get on a treadmill, run for about thirty minutes, rest for maybe ten, and then spar for thirty minutes, then rest, lift weights, and end with another run."

"You sure?"

She moved her shoulders back and forth. "I'm feeling tight. I need a good workout. You afraid you won't be able to keep up?" she teased.

Logan opened the door and waited for her to go through. "I'm sure I can keep up. I'm guessing you need to work out your stress. Life has been pretty hectic the past few days."

McKenzie waited by the car. "Maybe you're right." She scanned the area. "I wonder when I'll have my life back to normal. Before long my neighbors will complain about all the extra people around."

Logan unlocked and held the door. "Probably as soon as we figure out who's threatening you. I'm beginning to think the two are related somehow, but I have no idea how."

"That makes two of us."

*****

At the gym, Logan and McKenzie found two free treadmills beside each other. Both began a slow warm up and then began running.

About thirty minutes later, McKenzie noticed Vince standing by the mats. "As soon as I slow down, I'm going to the mats and speak with Vince."

Logan nodded. "I'll be right there. I'm getting water first. Want one?"

McKenzie nodded. She continued decreasing the speed until she was at a walk. Finally, she stopped. After a sigh, she said, "See you in a few minutes."

"I'll be right there."

Smiling, McKenzie headed for the mats. I know he will. She glanced back. That's one of his more charming qualities. I can always count on him being predictable.

Before she got to the JKD area, a man walked up to her. "McKenzie, I haven't seen you for a few months." He gave her a quick hug.

She returned the hug. "Mark, hello. Are you back in town?"

"Definitely, and I'm glad. The trooper I covered for has healed and is back on the job. So I get to return to my area."

"I'm happy to hear it."

Logan walked up and handed McKenzie a water. "Hello."

She smiled. "Mark Young, I'd like you to meet Logan Nelson." She held up the water, "Thank you," and took a drink.

After the men shook hands, Mark asked, "Logan, how long have you known McKenzie?"

Logan's eyes widened. "Not long. Mac and I met about a week ago over a job she's working on. I'm helping her with it. How long have you known each other?"

"About six months. We meet here. It seems we both like to work out. What do you do?"

"I'm in the Army. And you?"

"I'm a state trooper." He offered his hand. "Thank you for your service."

Accepting his hand, Logan said, "You're welcome. I need to return the thank you." He glanced toward McKenzie. "Ready?"

"Yes." She touched Mark's arm. "Glad to see you again."

"I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other. Is your number still the same?"

"It is. Bye." She turned and walked up to Vince. "We're ready." She took her place on the mat.

Logan faced her.

They each bowed and then studied each other.

McKenzie started with a kick that connected, then followed with two jabs. They both hit their mark. She backed away and held up her hand. "Wait a minute."

Vince walked over. "What's wrong? You're doing fine."

"It's too easy. Something's wrong." She glanced at Logan standing on the mat and moved closer. Whispering she said, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Let's keep going."

"I know you well enough to know when something's going on." She paused a moment. "Is it Mark?"

"Why would that guy be bothering me?"

"I don't know, but everything was fine until I introduced you two."

"Are you dating or have you dated?"

McKenzie took his hand and led him to a quiet area. "We have never dated or shacked up," she teased. When Logan glared at her, she said, "Sorry. Mark and I met here at the gym. He asked me out a few times, but I was always too busy. Then another trooper got injured on the job and he was transferred to the Kansas City until now. I guess he just returned."

Logan started walking. "Okay, let's continue our workout."

She placed her hand on his arm. "You're not getting by that easy, buddy. You're always questioning me, now it's my turn. Start talking." She slightly moved her hand up and down his arm. I think he's jealous, but why?

"Just wanted to make sure you're safe." When her eyes widened, he said, "Okay, you've kind of grown on me. I've come to like you a little bit."

"Guess what? I kinda like you a little bit too." She took his hand. "Now, I'm going to whip your butt."

They both headed toward the mat.






Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later in the novel

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for photo of a gym. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 1000 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your generous support.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement