FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 17 part 2by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and McKenzie return to the hospital with no real news
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 17 part 2 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

It's Tuesday afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 7 days. They've made it an entire week. LOL


Ending of Previous Post:

McKenzie stretched back in the seat and sighed. "What do we know?"

"We know George Whitney didn't kill my sister. He was in lock-up."

"We know she was possibly dating Donny Carlton, but don't know for how long. There was a fight in his house, blood on the floor, but don't know for sure it's his. He's been missing for over a week; about the same day Megan was murdered. Did he do it and is hiding or was he murdered too?"

"No idea and how does Sidney Parks fit into all of this. What did he want with my sister?" Logan pulled away from the curb. "What's this have to do with the threats against you or are they all together separate?"


TODAY'S POST:

On the way back to the hospital both Logan and McKenzie pondered their individual thoughts. When they entered Jose's room, he asked, "Anything new?"

McKenzie shook her head. "Nope. Donny was missing and the place was trashed. A neighbor said he hasn't been seen since the night Megan died. There was also a lot of blood splatter. Somebody was beaten and/or murdered there."

"So the plot thickens." Jose studied his IV.

"We're no closer to finding who murdered my sister than we were when I arrived. I agree with Mac. There seems to be a cover-up, but why? What was Megan into?"

"We don't have any answers." McKenzie held up her phone. "I called Gardner. He's going to get a hold of her phone records. Maybe they hold the secret we're overlooking. It would help to find that phone. I feel it in my gut the phone's the key. What else haven't we thought of?" She paused. "Sorry, Jose. Any news about when you'll be released?"

"Doc says maybe tomorrow morning." He eyed the cards spread out on his over-the-bed-table. "I'm tired of playing solitary. How about a riveting game of poker? Maybe Mac can teach me how to play."

Lucy grinned. "Losing is starting to effect his sunny disposition."

"My disposition's always sunny." Jose grinned as he gathered the cards. "Mac, I heard you turned down an undercover gig playing poker."

"I didn't turn it down. I was overruled by Bill and this dude." McKenzie poked Logan's arm.

Logan placed his hand over hers. "Since somebody's trying to kill you, maybe playing poker with a known criminal isn't the best idea."

Jose shuffled the cards. "Lucy, you joining us?" After she nodded, he asked, "What we playing?"

"How about 'Texas Holdem'? I think that's the most common game." McKenzie glanced at Logan. "What do you think?" She wrinkled her nose. "Do you even play?"

Jose chuckled. "Of course, he plays. He's in the Army and been on numerous deployments. What do you think the guys do sitting around waiting for action, listen to opera?"

"Point taken." McKenzie scanned the room and grabbed a chair pulling it closer to the bed. "Pull up a chair. Is there enough? What we playing for? Bragging rights?"

Eyeing Logan, Jose chuckled. "I already know Mac's great at poker, partly because she doesn't have any tells." He continued studying Logan. "You're in one of the Special Forces areas of the Army. I'm betting you're an expert at keeping it together. Your life would depend on it." He raised his hands over his head. "I'm dead." He grinned. "Let's do this, anyway."

Jose dealt each player two cards face down and each person checked their cards and placed bets. Then he dealt two cards up. Each person placed an additional bet before he placed another card up. Jose dealt another face up card and said, "I'm out."

Lucy laid her cards down. "It's between you two. I'm out."

Logan grinned. "You raising or calling me out?" He turned his head as the door opened. "Hi, Bill. You're about ready to watch me kick Mac's butt at poker."

Bill walked into the room and hugged McKenzie. "For real?"

"We're not sure, but it looks like a possibility," answered Jose. "What brings an important guy like you to my humble abode, twice within twenty-four hours?"

Lucy patted his arm. "Jose, behave. Sorry Mr. Abbott, he's getting bored."

"I hear you're going home tomorrow." Bill glanced toward the door. "I'm worried about security. I'm putting somebody at your house, until we figure out what's going on." His eyes met Logan's. "We moved your things from the hotel into Mac's house."

"What?" McKenzie stood with her hands on her hips. "Again you're making decisions without my consent or even mentioning it to me."

"How would you feel if something happened to Logan?"

"I'd feel horrible, but that doesn't mean I want him moving in with me. He's already too bossy. He'd be even worse if he lived there. I'm sure you can come up with a better plan. He's some sort of a hero."

Logan covered his grin with his hand.

"I've already taxed the police department with a detail for you, coverage for Jose while he's in the hospital, and he'll get a detail when he's released. I've put security on Logan's parents. There's nobody left."

"Send him home to his parents."

Jose chuckled. "Mac, he's always with you. It only makes sense. I'm betting there's only a little security on his parents. He'd require more. He's working this case with you. He's in danger too."

Bill eyed Logan. "It's about time you were heard from. Tell this hard-headed young lady I'm right."

"Mac, I found out last night your couch isn't too bad to sleep on. I need to go back to Fort Bragg, three weeks from today. I think we can work something out for three weeks, don't you?" He paused. "I'm beginning to understand your comment about not having any say in things. I didn't get a say either. I'm also capable of taking care of myself. I've done it under more dangerous circumstances than this." He took her hand. "I don't see any way out. Can we work together and make this work?"

McKenzie sighed. "I don't see a way out of it either."

"Darn!" yelled Jose. When everybody faced him, he said, "I bumped the table. We won't know who won the poker game." He grinned at McKenzie. "What did you have?"

"I'll never tell."

Bill answered his ringing phone. After he listened for a while, he hung up and said, "They just found Donny Carlton's body."

"Where?" asked McKenzie.

"In a drainage ditch in Wright City."

Logan rubbed his chin. "That's a ways out of the city. They didn't want it to be found."

"They sure didn't, and it appears he's been there about a week. We'll know more after the autopsy."

McKenzie plopped down in a chair. "If they ever get around to doing it. We're still waiting for Megan's results."




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton

Author Notes
Thank you google images for photo of a Texas Hold'em Game. I had edited this post many times but when I reread it before church, I found many issues with it. I'm struggling describing the poker game. I hope I got it right this time. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 1000 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your wonderful support.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement