FanStory.com - Back in the Saddleby GWHARGIS
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Back to writing after an extended absence
Back in the Saddle by GWHARGIS

She picked up her heavy black purse and heaved it up on her shoulder. It was loaded with unnecessary items. Two notebooks, four pens, a travel pack of tissues. A box of raisins and a bottle of water rolled around with three triple a batteries, which may or may not have been good. Her wallet refused to close anymore due to the overload of receipts and expired credit cards. She kept the old cards incase she ever needed to jimmie a lock.

She knocked on the office door, quickly running her free hand over her hair, as she waited for permission to enter.

"Mrs. Havesham, I presume, " a tall, handsome middle aged man, motioned her inside. "Please, take a seat."

She smiled politely and sat on the edge of the tattered wing back chair. She sat with her spine ramrod straight. The man was very handsome and she felt her face flush.

"I have to ask, why would a woman of your obvious breeding want to work in a hardware store?"

She wanted to act nonchalant but her nerves got the better of her.
"I'm not good with computers or technology," she blurted. "I thought this job would be easy."

His eyebrows raised ever so slightly then nodded.

"I'm so sorry, " she moaned. "Its been thirty years since I've had to work. I'm old and obsolete. "

He walked over, offered his hand to help her up. "Welcome aboard, Mrs. Havesham."

"Oh, thank you! I hope I can work the til. You'll have to show me the difference between a nail and a tack. My late husband, he tried but it's very confusing...," she stopped midsentence and looked up at him. "I should probably just go."

"Wise decision. " He smiled warmly, his eyes sweeping over her face.

Mrs. Havesham scurried out of the office and went straight to her car. A rare giggle escaped her. She was back. She was back among the living.

Recognized

Author Notes
First writing in 2 years. Just an exercise.

     

© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement