FanStory.com - Dinner With Granddadby LisaMay
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The plot thickens with helpful Aunt Hilda. (293 words)
Dinner With Granddad by LisaMay
A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry

Julie and Ben came home from Granddad’s farewell service with their other family relatives for a nice evening meal together. Drinks were poured, stories told, ready to settle in for an evening of reminiscing, drinking a toast to their beloved Granddad.

As we know, families have a mix of personalities – we love some, tolerate others. Aunt Hilda was fussing around, trying to redeem herself with a good deed. She belatedly realised she had been rather tactless about Granddad at the service. It probably had not been necessary for her to mention how he peed on the lemon tree every morning. 

At the family dinner she was trying to be helpful – really she was, but annoyingly she was poking into every cupboard, commenting about the placement of items, what she considered unnecessary in the pantry, what was a modern fad, what was poorly labelled, etc.

Julie left Aunt Hilda to it. Apparently, she had put herself in charge of the beef stew, which had been slow cooking, gently simmering in the pot while the service was underway.  Now that everyone was back home, it was nearly ready to serve. Julie herself would be mashing the potatoes and Ben had made an interesting tossed salad, to be accompanied with some garlic bread.

Everyone sat down to the meal. Food was served, grace was said. Eventually, opinions were expressed about the tastiness of the meal, especially the beef stew. Julie commented that the flavour was somewhat different to her usual stew.

Aunt Hilda, so pleased with how her helpfulness was being received, told the assembled dinner group that to make the stew less runny she had added some gravy thickener from a jar she had found on a kitchen shelf.

Oh no… Granddad’s ashes!

 



Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300

     

© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement