FanStory.com - Evening in Montrealby judester
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story.
Evening in Montreal by judester
A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry
Artwork by Lentamente at FanArtReview.com

i was staying with my friend at his basement apartment in Montreal.

Returning home one night, we met up with a homeless guy who sat just outside the apartment door trying to keep warm from the freezing weather.

My friend does not ever suffer fools lightly. He had lived there for a while and was familiar with the folks down on their luck.
Quite the opposite of my misguided goodwill.

Once inside, I suggested that we give the poor guy a cup of hot cream of carrot soup that we had made earlier.
My friend grudgingly agreed. I prepared the soup and added some toast, then opened the door and offered it generously to our 'guest.'

Bob was fuming slightly as we watched tv. I knew that he just wanted his cup back and the guy gone.

A few minutes later, there was a light knock on the door.

Bob jerked his head towards the door and pitched me a look that said 'go finish your little deed so I can relax please.'

I opened the door with a beautific smile, until I took in the scene.

The guy was leaning casually against the wall, tapping an unlit cigarette against the jamb and held out the empty bowl.

"Can I get a cup of coffee?"

My goodwill suddenly dried up as I took the cup, told him no, then softly closed the door.

From the living room, I could hear Bob chuckling.



Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300

Author Notes
Thanks to Lentemante for the artwork.

     

© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement