FanStory.com - Family Name: Charboneau by Lobber
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A tribute to the Lewis and Clark Expedition
Family Name: Charboneau by Lobber
Acrostic Poetry Contest contest entry


Chances are you have

Heard

About Lewis and Clark's search for a

Route to the Pacific.


Both dreamed of

Opening a trail to the West to be specific.

Neither realized the hardships

Each one would have to bear, but

A squaw of Charboneau's, with an

Unusual knowledge and loving care - helped the expedition to survive - and keep our history alive.

Recognized

Author Notes
1.
The letters 'eau' in the name Charboneau are pronounced as 'aw' in Cheboygan, Michigan where my Charboneau relatives reside. Toussaint 's name has been spelled variously by historians: Charbono, Shabono, Sharbono, Charboneau, Chaboneau, Charbonneau, Charbonet and Chabonau.

2.
In English using the word squaw is considered an ethnic and sexual slur. Contemporary use of the term is considered inappropriate and it represents the prejudicial mentality of former settlers. However, the term occurs throughout North America in the names of municipalities, townships, rivers, mountains and resorts. In this FS historical, acrostic poem the use of the word is deemed appropriate.

3.
Background: In 1960 my sister 'D' (b. 1942) married into the famous family of Toussaint Charboneau (1767-1843). The squaw referenced in the poem is Sacagawea, one of Toussaint's brightest wives. She helped the Lewis and Clark Expedition in achieving their chartered mission objectives by exploring the Louisiana Territory.

4.
My sister 'D' and I co-authored this poem which contains a number of internal rhymes.
- Lobber (November, 2019)

     

© Copyright 2024. Lobber All rights reserved.
Lobber has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement