FanStory.com - Wandi's Floppy Hat Societyby papa55mike
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
1,250 words. The joy we share daily can last a lifetime.
Wandi's Floppy Hat Society by papa55mike

How can true love be shared? There are millions of possible answers to that question; all of them are probably true. I believe that the greatest love we can share is given to children. They don't have to be our own. Too many kids need a hug or a smile with a morning greeting. It may have been days since they heard a kind word. We don't know what difficult situation any child might be facing.

I know someone who has dedicated her life to giving love to every child that comes into our home. Being a babysitter, Wandi has loved and nurtured each one in her care for almost forty years. It's astounding to see the lasting effect her simple actions have been.

Let me share some examples with the children she now keeps.

Back in the spring, we bought everybody floppy hats; hence, the Floppy Hat Society was born. This little group consists of four 'little girls' who do almost everything together. That includes going to the potty. Each one them standing around rooting for the other to do the job correctly. An essential bit of encouragement for a potty training two-year-old.

The youngest of the society is Randi Skye Morris. A loving but stubborn little girl with a determined spirit of learning. She loves to follow Wandi around while she does her daily chores. It's funny, watching Randi on her homemade stool rinsing the dishes and playing in the water. A few of them manage to be washed and rinsed while Randi gets soaked.

The next member of the group is six-year-old Allison Nicole Newell. She has been with Wandi since she was six-weeks-old. Allison started kindergarten this year, and truth be known; she's probably running it by now.

The special member of the group is our granddaughter, Shynoa Drew James. Shynoa is eighteen and lives with the genetic disorder, Trisomy 22. Her particular condition is called Cat-eye Syndrome.

A few facts about Shynoa, she eats through a Mic-Key button in her stomach and wears diapers. Shynoa's mental functions have kept us from potty training her. She also speaks in sign language, which has spread to the other children. They want to communicate with her.

It's incredible to watch Allison around Shynoa. If she's being stubborn and won't go to eat or be changed, Allison will say, "I got this." She will gently take Shynoa's hand, then say, "Come on, Noa." Shynoa will smile and follow Allison anywhere. She can get her to do almost anything.

The final member of the group is the leader, Wandi Sue James. The name Wandi was given to her by another granddaughter, Jessica. I won't tell you her age, but I'm sixty-three, and she's a year younger than I am. Her love and dedication to this little group is something to see.

The day starts early, and with all of the schools on fall break, the group is here by seven-thirty. Breakfast is the first order of business. Not only for the kid's but the teddy bears and baby dolls also need to be fed. With all of them lined up against the wall, four pillows will hit the floor. Each one grabs a baby spoon and a bowl. They proceed to feed, all twenty-five teddy bears, and baby dolls with pretend food. This process starts with Wandi lovingly leading the way. Depending on the potty breaks, it takes at least an hour. It gives everyone a chance to share what's on their minds while in the background, the Bubble Guppies are on Nick Jr.

After a snack break, the outdoors beckon. The Floppy Hat Society rushes out the door to see who gets to the swings first. I usually follow behind carrying the essential needs, cups, snacks, jackets, radio, and the stroller. I'm the mule!

When everyone gets their fill of swinging (Allison is evidently determined to fly), the group moves to the patio for Art. Wandi passes out the sidewalk chalk then slowly gets down on the concrete and starts drawing hearts and peace signs. Inside her drawn hearts is the name of each child that she spells out loud to help them learn to spell and recognize their names. It always comes with a hug at the end.

The next order of business is the daily walk, weather permitting. We load Randi in the stroller, and with the hats and sunglasses passed out, our stroll begins. We slowly walk down our road, Allison is searching for any cat that needs a hug. I've never seen one that did, but she manages to find them. One thing I've noticed, if a cat sees us coming, it quickly disappears.

Randi has a unique ability to see the moon when no one else can. She has terrific eyesight for a two-year-old. Her new thing is trees since we stood under the old Oak tree at the church, watching the sunlight filter through the leaves. Randi must have several acorns and a rock from the gravel road to take home with her.

Shynoa has always been challenging to take on a walk. She had to have hip surgery when she was one. The only people who can get her to go walking is the Floppy Hat Society. It starts with Allison coaxing her, then me taking her hand to comfort her. We have taken Shynoa walking farther than anyone else has. A true miracle!

It's time for lunch and the astounding peace that comes with nap time.

A couple of hours later, the movies start. It could be Trolls, anything Barney, or one of several Disney movies. Of course, snacks and cups will be passed out. They're always starving.

On Friday after naps, it's beauty shop time!

One day, when I got home from work, I was given a list and sent to the Dollar Tree (where everything is a dollar). I bought hair barrettes, some with flowers, ponytail holders, five colors of nail polish and remover, and some light handsoap.

The process starts when Wandi sets up a tray with a bowl of warm soapy water, towels, nail clippers, the five colors of polish (one for each finger), combs, brushes, and all of the barrettes and ponytail holders. Disney's "Homeward Bound" is playing while Wandi is styling hair and giving manicures. The look of joy on each one of them when finished is incredible. Wandi has given them an outward beauty and a loving glow from within.

I know we are all tied up with living our lives and raising our children the best we can. Not every mother has the time to do this, and that's one of the reasons Wandi does it. The other is giving her love in the best way she can.

I love this verse, Psalm 128: 3 reads, "Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine in the very heart of your house." The fruit in Wandi's life is the smile on the faces of these children, the love in their hearts for her, the joy she spreads to them.

Shortly after her heart attacks, Wandi asked, "Why would God save a simple babysitter?" She struggled with that question for a long time.

I kept telling her that we may never know; only God knows that answer. "You don't see how you have affected the lives of many children." Those simple things make a world difference to each child, helping them to live full lives with overflowing happiness.

What better life can you live?

Author Notes
In the picture, Randi is sitting in Wandi's lap, our granddaughter Shynoa is hiding under her hat, Allison is sitting at the end.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day and God bless.
mike

     

© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement