FanStory.com - Bonnie and Clydesdaleby LisaMay
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
They horse around, then hoof it. (5-7-5)
Bonnie and Clydesdale by LisaMay
Witty, Animal 5-7-5 writing prompt entry


Bonnie and Clydesdale –

they giddyup to no good,

robbing neighbourhood.

 



Writing Prompt
Write a witty (with pun or play on words) 5-7-5 poem, that entails/involves an animal. The 'pun-ier' the funnier.

Author Notes
Author's Notes:

1. The names of the horses in the poem are a reference to the 1967 film 'Bonnie and Clyde', directed by Arthur Penn, starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in the title roles. The film revived interest in the Barrow gang and glamorized them with a romantic aura.
Bonnie Parker (1910-1934) and Clyde Barrow (1909-1934) were an American criminal couple who traveled central US with their gang during the Great Depression, known for their bank robberies although they preferred to rob small stores or rural gas stations. They were responsible for the deaths of nine policemen and four civilians, before dying themselves in a hail of police bullets.

2. The Clydesdale is a breed of draught horse, named for and derived from the farm horses of Clydesdale, a county in Scotland. They are often bay in colour, with white markings. The breed was originally used for agriculture and haulage, and is still used for draught purposes today. The Budweiser Clydesdales are some of the most famous Clydesdales, and other members of the breed are used as drum horses by the British Household Cavalry. They have also been used to create and improve other breeds.
The breed was developed from Flemish stallions imported to Scotland and crossed with local mares. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, thousands of Clydesdales were exported from Scotland and sent throughout the world, including to Australia and New Zealand, where they became known as 'the breed that built Australia'.
During World War 1, population numbers began to decline due to increasing mechanization and war conscription. This decline continued, and by the 1970s, the Rare Breeds Survival Trust considered the breed vulnerable to extinction. Population numbers have increased slightly in the intervening time, but they are still thought to be vulnerable.

     

© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement