FanStory.com - Crumbs, I'm a Clever Inventor!by LisaMay
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Is this the best thing since when? 5-7-5
Crumbs, I'm a Clever Inventor! by LisaMay
5-7-5 writing prompt entry

 

when I used my loaf

my invention of sliced bread

was toast of the town

 



Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 that has three lines. The first line has 5 syllables. The second line has 7 syllables. The third line has 5 syllables again.

Author Notes
Author's Notes:

1. To 'use your loaf' is an English idiom, meaning to use your brain more in analysing what you are doing; to use common sense; to be more mindful.
Origins of the idiom:
Some say it is London Cockney-rhyming slang: loaf of bread = head.
Another hypothesis is that the phrase came from the Essex rifle men in the Napoleonic Wars (1803-15), when they'd use a loaf of bread with a hat on it, on the end of a raised bayonet, to flush out French snipers.

2. Sliced bread has been around for less than a century. The first automatically sliced commercial loaves were produced on July 6, 1928, in Chillicothe, Missouri, using a machine invented by Otto Rohwedder, an Iowa-born, Missouri-based jeweler.

     

© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement