FanStory.com - Out for Bloodby Mistydawn
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paul fights for his life. Jeremy gets disturbing news
Pushed Too Far
: Out for Blood by Mistydawn


Summary
Escaping a horrid fate, Jeremy rescues Jessica. Paul, one of their attackers, runs into a wild boar while trying to escape the law.


An eerie stillness hangs heavy in the crisp night air. The frigid northern wind that had been blowing just moments ago is completely still. The boisterous calls of the nocturnal wildlife have completely ceased. Paul feels like all the creation around him large and small is waiting for his inevitable doom.

He glances to his right and sees the cop's headlights are getting closer. The boar snorts. Paul looks back to find the wild pig charging towards him. He dodges out of the way. Spinning around, the animal rushes for him again. Paul does a quick sidestep. The beast’s razor-sharp tusk pierces his leg.

Using his brute strength, the animal pushes his target backward. Paul struggles to remain afoot. The creature continues to plow forward, pinning him to a tree.


Paul raises his fist and punches him in the snout. Blood gushes from his leg when the pig pulls away.
The wild beast roars as he claws the ground. It was a low, gritty growl, similar to a cougar.

Paul shudders from the noise. I’m in for it now. His grandpa’s wise words quickly come to mind. “Go high, son, always go high.” Paul’s insides quiver as he frantically searches for a way to escape. There were dozens of trees around him, but they were all too frail to hold his weight. Paul spots an old Oak tree deeper in the woods. The boar is mere inches away.
It’s do or die time. Paul sprints towards it. The creature’s teeth scrape across his calf as he runs. 
Paul feels himself weakening but the tree is still a distance away. He looks back to find the boar a mere stride behind. I have to keep going. Blood spews from his leg as he pushes on.


When he’s only a few yards away, Paul makes a giant leap landing in front of the tree. He turns to see the animal closing in. He grabs a hold of a branch and hoists himself up. Dead foliage falls to the ground as he climbs.

He glances down to discover the wild creature attempting to climb the trunk. Paul draws back his leg and kicks him in the snout. “Take that you beast.” Losing his grip, the boar plummets to the ground. Smacking the edge of a large boulder on his way down. I need to get higher before he comes to. Paul’s arms begin to shake as he pulls himself up. He manages to lift himself up a little way. His arms give out; his body swings back down.


He looks towards the ground and discovers the animal is still out cold. I could make a run for it. Maybe find safer ground. Headlights brighten the darkened area around him. Frightened, he scoots against the trunk He sucks in his gut as he presses further back. I hope the cops didn’t see me; he thinks, too fearful to take a breath. After what seems like an eternity, the lights slowly fade away. Paul breathes a sigh of relief. This will probably be the only chance I’ll get. He starts to climb down when he hears the pig snort below him. He discovers the creature is coming to.

I better go higher before he comes after me again. Every muscle in his body aches as he reaches for the limb. I have to do this. His muscles burn with fury as he tries to pull himself up. He grits his teeth, hoping he can work through the pain. I can do this. His arms begin to tremor; his fingers slip. “No,” Paul screams as he tries to maintain his hold. His fingers continue to slide down the wood. His body plunges to the ground.


*** 
Jeremy finds Jessica’s hospital room completely dark except for a few neon-lit monitors blinking above her head. The machines give off just enough light to silhouette her battered face. Standing in the entryway, Jeremy admires her angelic beauty. I’m going to win your heart over, just you wait and see. Jeremy imagines the life they’ll have together. How wonderful it’ll be to cuddle up beside her every night for the rest of his life. Someday my dream will come true. He sighs. He starts to leave when a frail voice pierces through the darkness.

“Jeremy?”

He spins back around. “I hope I didn’t wake you.” The doctor explained to them that Jessica has dissociative amnesia. Most likely brought on by her trauma. He went on to say her memory will come back in bits and pieces if she’s given time to heal and to rest.

“I have all night to sleep. Please, come sit with me for a while.” Scooting over, she pats the bed.

Jeremy anxiously glances behind him. Nurse Ratchet has already shooed him away twice and he isn’t certain what’ll happen if she catches him again.

“I really need my
Jerr bear,” she tearfully adds.

He gazes over at Jessica. She’s the love of my life. The woman of my dreams. Spending one second with her will be worth anything that battle-ax does to me. He rushing to her side. “I’m so glad you’re alright, Jess.”

“I’m not alright, Jeremy. I’m not. I lost my baby. I lost my baby,” she cries, falling against him. Jeremy wraps his arms around her. “How could I have been so stupid, Jeremy how? Thinking Paul is such a terrific guy. That he’d be interested in someone like me. Me, the class nerd. Head of the Chess Club and the Historical Society. The worst part of it all is that an innocent life was taken all because of me and my stupidity,” she sobs.

“Paul and his buddies are idiots for not realizing what a special person you are. And you’re far from stupid, Miss Valedictorian. I bet you’ll be accepted into a fancy college and put the rest of us to shame.”

“I don’t know about that.” She sniffles.

“I do. And as far as Paul goes, you’re not the only one who fell for his act.”

“Yeah, but I should’ve known better, Jeremy. I should’ve known better than to fall for his crap.”


"He’s good at his game, Jessie. So good that he’s even conned a few teachers out of their pants.”

Pulling away from him, she looks into his eyes in disbelief. “He and our teachers have...? No." The home economics teacher quickly comes to mind. The lady is wide as she is tall. And her face is so homely her own mother couldn’t even love it. “That’s gross, Jeremy. No, it's beyond gross it’s disgusting.”

“How else do you think he gets his good grades?”

“Well, I…”

“It certainly isn’t from what’s up here.” He points to her head.

She recalls a few of the stupid stunts Paul’s pulled through the years. “He can be a dunce sometimes.”

“Sometimes? My dog is ten times smarter than he’ll ever hope to be. Heck, Sparky’s poop is a lot smarter than him. Better looking too.” Jessica chuckles through her tears. “There’s the cute laugh I love so much.”


“You always know how to make me feel better, Jerr bear.”

“What are best friends for? Now lay back and get some rest.”

“Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?”

He glances towards the door and finds the hall is completely empty. “It’d be my honor.” Wrapping his arms around her he snuggles against her.

“This is nice, Jeremy.”

“Really nice. You know I’m always here for you, Jessie, no matter what.”


“I know and I’m very lucky to have you.” She snuggles closer.

“No, I’m the lucky one.”

Jessica mumbles something then smiles as she drifts off to sleep.

The warmth of her body against me, the smell of her hair, her floral perfume is so heavenly. Jeremy’s eyelids begin to droop. Jeremy opens them, but they quickly drop again. I have to stay awake; he thinks as he slips into a deep, peaceful sleep.

“No, no, stop,” Jessica yells, sitting up in bed.

“It’s ok, Jessie, you’re safe now.” Jeremy reaches for her hand.

Jessica anxiously glances around. She quickly realizes where she’s at. How did I…? Paul’s last words replay in her
mind. Her face turns ghostly pale. “I may be, but my family’s not.”

He sits up beside her. “What are you talking about, Jess?”


“Paul threatened to kill my family.”

Jeremy springs from the bed. “I’m going to make sure he doesn’t touch a single hair on their head.” 

“What are you going to do?”

“What I should’ve done years ago.”

“Jeremy, wait.”

He meets her nurse at the door. “What are you doing here?”

“Call security and tell them a threat was made on her life.”

“A what?”

“Jessie will explain,” Jeremy yells as he bolts down the hall.



Characters
Jeremy, Highschool graduate, always being bullied by his peers because of his disease, chronic tic disorder. 
Jessica, Jeremy's best friend she was raped at a party and was pregnant with Paul's child
Paul, Tony, Jeff, bullies, Jeremy's enemies
Barry, Jeremy's biological dad Jeremy doesn't know it yet.
Bonnie and Max Webb Jessica's parents

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, captain
Rachel Bower, sergeant, Joe's wife, Jessica's older sister.
Jerry, a detective was a sergeant his health forced him to step down



 

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement