FanStory.com - Mount Olympusby davisr (Rhonda)
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hera and Zeus welcome a new child.
Body of a Horse, Heart of a Man
: Mount Olympus by davisr (Rhonda)

Hera, the queen of the gods, gazed tenderly at an infant cradled in her arms. Her heart swelled with pride she'd seldom experienced before. This girl was beautiful beyond description, more lovely than any other deity on Mount Olympus. Hera knew it, Zeus knew it, and anyone who happened to glimpse the child knew it.

The child's physical perfection was not all that stirred Hera's heart. The goddess queen was forced to share her older children moments after they left the womb. These children became powerful gods and goddesses, great beings whose presence was required in an emergent world.

Since all positions of importance on Mount Olympus were spoken for well before her birth, this diminutive child was destined to be little more than a plaything for the gods. Without the power struggles that plagued her older relatives, she would be allowed to enjoy the benefits of immortality and influence without the responsibility of leadership.

Upon first setting his royal eyes on this blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty, her father, Zeus, had bestowed her birth name Eudora, Good Gift, upon her. Hera rolled the name over on her tongue, letting the name spread warmth to her soul. She was content.

Time does not pass for immortals the same as it does for humankind, but it does pass, and before Hera and Zeus knew it, their beloved little girl became a blossoming young lady.

Older and wiser than when he was raising his other children, Zeus wanted nothing but the best for Eudora. In fact, it was his desire that nothing ever upset her. As with all fathers, immortal or human alike, he would find this task exhausting.

While Eudora's ascent into puberty was a slow process, the increase of people on Earth was not. Humanity was growing exponentially, and with this growth came greater and more varied challenges. The people required increasing attention from their celestial monarchs. Many, daresay most, were becoming downright treacherous. Zeus' infamous temper, smoldering at best, had become deadly of late.

More often lately, Earth felt the effects of his royal wrath. Storms, earthquakes and pestilences increased in number. Hades complained on several occasions that the soul count coming into the Underworld was reaching epidemic proportions. Something needed to change. Zeus tried to curb his irritability, but was profoundly unsuccessful.

Compounding his frustrations was the arrival of a young god named Phoebus on Mount Olympus. The youth was the son of Zeus' powerful brother Poseidon, the god of the sea. Like his father, he loved horses, and helped Apollo, the sun god, care for the magnificent beasts he used to pull his chariot across the sky each day.

Phoebus was both talented and hard working, a rarity on Mount Olympus. He branched out from just caring for Apollo's horses, to breeding others of his own for racing. The gods were well known for enjoying sports, and so the lad soon won a place in their hearts. The name Phoebus became synonymous with quality and excitement.

This was not the part that caused Zeus anxiety. The fact that Phoebus was turning the heads of all the young girls was. Eudora could talk of nothing else, and Zeus grew more wary as his child prattled on.

Recognized

Author Notes
This is a book I previously self-published. It had few peer reviews, and only one editor - my late mother.

I am now rewriting it based on what I've learned from all of you, and will republish when we are all finished. Thank you for all you help me do.

The photo is the books original cover, and the work of Mark Bredt from Eloquent Books.

     

© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement