FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 14 part 1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and McKenzie talk with Mitch.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 14 part 1 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

It's Monday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 6 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

"Learning to repair cars, playing poker, and pool aren't bad things," teased Logan. "I'm sure they're an important skill set for P.I.'s."

"Just not for being a future wife."

Logan adjusted himself so their eyes met. He used his thumb to dry a tear. "Any man worthy of you would be proud to have you as his wife."

"You think?"

"I know it."

"Thank you."

He moved back onto the couch, replaced his arm around her, and waited until she cuddled into him.

Silence continued.

When Logan was sure McKenzie wasn't crying, he said, "Simon had a good question that I need to ask it. Is there any way your mom's dad could be behind the threats made to you?"

"No." When Logan started to speak, McKenzie said, "I'm positive. It's not up for discussion."

"Okay."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 14 part 1

McKenzie reached for two bottles of water from the refrigerator as Logan walked in. She glanced up. "I'm positive you didn't knock this morning."

He chuckled. "You're right. I figured I'd be accused of not knocking so why bother."

"Whatever." She petted and spoke to Edger, "Go, get your leash." She watched the large dog as she set a water bottle in front of Logan. "Ready for the run?"

"Once I get Arlo in his carrier. Order Big Guy, not to laugh," teased Logan.

Answering her phone, McKenzie said, "Hi Jose, I'm glad you got back to me so soon. I got some information that Megan was dating a guy called, 'Donny'." She listened. "No, I don't have a last name. I do have a contact who might know it. It's too early to call now. I'll do it later this morning and see if she can help with it. The reason I called was I want to know if you can be my partner at the Tin Roof tonight? I've been told he frequents that place." Again, she waited. "Good. We can meet in the next block and plan our approach at about seven. Thanks again."

McKenzie faced Logan. "I'm sure you heard that."

"I did." He moved beside her. "I'm going to be there. I promise not to interfere. I'll sit in the background. You won't even know I exist. I have a bad feeling about this."

Her hands were on her hips. "I don't have a choice, do I?"

"Nope, you don't." He walked toward the door. "Let's get this run started. You need to get to the police station."

She followed him out. "I haven't forgotten. Did we ever decide how far we're going this morning?"

"I'm following your and Edger's lead. Don't worry about me. I'm used to it."

*****
Eight and a half miles later, they returned to the townhouse, Logan teased, "I'm surprised you didn't stop for donuts."

"I figured Betty Crocker would make breakfast so I wouldn't need to." She pointed at the stairs. "Get going and shower. I'm hungry and have a busy day." She grabbed a water bottle and drank as she watched Logan until he was out of sight. "When he leaves, I'm going to miss him. I've gotten used to having him around, but he's still a pain."

*****
After she'd showered, McKenzie sat at the table as Logan set scrambled eggs, sausage, and toast in front of her. "I thought sausage wasn't healthy."

"It's turkey sausage. Not as bad."

"I see." She took a bite of the sausage. It's pretty good." She slowly sipped coffee and watched him. After he sat, she continued, "Thank you for not talking about last night."

"I figured if you wanted to discuss it, you would." He winked at her.

She picked up her ringing phone. "I guess I'm popular today." She listened. "Sure Bill. I had planned to stop by anyway. I have a few things I want to pass by you. After breakfast, I'm going to the police station. Do you know of anybody who's completely safe? I need to turn in some possible evidence." She waited. "Yes, I'm wondering about a cover-up. I know there are a few dirty cops. There's probably more."

After she hung up, Logan asked, "Are we dropping by Bill's before or after the police station?"

"After. I'm seeing Mitch Gardner first."

"Isn't he the guy who wanted you to go undercover and play poker? I'm opposed to that."

"So's Bill. He suggested I talk to him about the cover-up. I agreed. He's good people. He was Dad's partner and friend." She finished her coffee and wiped her mouth. "Ready?"

*****
Once Logan pulled into the police department's parking lot, he said, "I could use another cup of coffee. Is there a coffee shop close by?"

"Since we're talking to Mitch, you can come if you promise to behave."

He laughed as he opened the car door. "I'm pretty sure I can handle that. Do they have coffee?"

Nodding her head, McKenzie laughed. "I'm sure they do and you might be able to find a donut or two."

"Very funny." Logan paused. "Although, since we missed the your favorite shop this morning, I might have to have a few." He held the police station door open for her. "Lead the way."

The sergeant sitting at the front desk smiled and said, "Hi, Mac. Who are you visiting today?"

"Hi, Sam." She offered her hand and he took it as she continued, "Is Mitch Gardner still in the same office?"

"Affirmative. Right next to your dad's old office. I'll call let him know you're on your way."

"Thanks." McKenzie nodded for Logan to follow.

As they got to the door, Mitch opened it. "Hi! I get to see you twice in the same week. How lucky can I be? I'd better play the lottery." He motioned for them to take a seat. "What brings you here?"

McKenzie glanced at the open door. "Do you mind if I close it?"

As Mitch nodded, he said, "So this isn't a friendly visit. What's going on?"

She explained the inconsistencies in Megan Nelson's murder, the lack of information, and the elusive autopsy report. "Jose Lopez went undercover to check out George Whitney as a suspect. We're almost positive he had nothing to do with her murder. It seems he was arrested for drunk and disorderly. We need to know at what time. I've also discovered they weren't even dating any longer and hadn't been for over a month."

Mitch stopped writing, tapped his pen, and then shook his head.

McKenzie continued, "The last man she was known to date was a Donny. I don't have a last name yet, but have a contact number who might know it. On the night she was murdered, she had an eight o'clock appointment with a Sidney. Never has that name come up. We discovered the name in Megan's apartment. Even though the police searched her apartment there was nothing in the report about it. They evidently missed or ignored Sidney's name."

Mitch leaned back in his chair. "I understand your concern. So you're thinking a cover-up." After McKenzie nodded, he continued, "Any idea why?"

She took a deep breath. "Not really but..." she chewed on her lower lip, "Sorry, Logan, but it seems there was some drug use. Could be a drug deal gone wrong. Maybe an affair gone wrong. She may have been pregnant. We don't have that confirmed one way or another." She reached in her jeans pocket and took out the phone. "I found this by the drop site. It looks like a burner. I couldn't trust it to anybody else."

"What do you mean by the drop site? I heard she was murdered in Buder Park."

"There's not nearly enough blood. She was killed someplace else."

"I see why you have concerns. Thank you for coming to me."

"I didn't know who else to come too. I'm going to continue working the case. I'm not stopping until I find answers. We're also wondering why the GPS in her phone hasn't been checked." McKenzie stood. "Can you check this out for me? I've kept you long enough. I need to be going. I have a few other places to go and some phone calls to make."

Mitch walked around his desk and gave McKenzie a hug. "Please be safe. Your determination reminds me so much of your dad. Man, I miss him. I'll see what I can find out and get back to you." He shook Logan's hand. "Nice to see you again."

As McKenzie left Mitch's office, she looked across the hall, stopped, turned, hugged Logan, and whispered in his ear, "Read the name plate on the office two doors from the right."

It read: Sidney Parks





Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila
is his wife
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for a St. Louis PD patch. This post is a little over 1300 words. I hope you don't mind. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder and they get closer to becoming a couple. Thank you for your wonderful support.



     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement