FanStory.com - Father like Sonby scongrove
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series
THE IMMORTAL
: Father like Son by scongrove

Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!

Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will become the thing that has cursed her.   
 

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take the Fury and Sebastian back to earth for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature. 

Before they gather with the Breedline to prepare for battle, Apollyon is desperate to see his beloved Yelena once again. After Lailah grants him permission, Apollyon discovers he is going to be a father soon.


Continued . . .

A golden hue peeked through the blinds of Yelena’s bedroom window as the sun gradually crept over the horizon. Apollyon lay on his side, his head propped by a pillow as he stared to where Yelena slept. Curled on her side, she faced him with her arms wrapped around her belly as though she was cradling the tiny life inside. 

While he watched her sleep, there was a sense of peace to her expression. Her features were relaxed and her lips slightly parted. Yelena had barely moved the entire night. He knew because he’d woken every hour to check on her, worried he’d wake up to find that all this had been nothing but a dream, or maybe just a figment of his imagination. Miracles like this didn’t happen to him, he thought. For all the horrible things he had done, he didn’t deserve a second chance in life, much less a family of his own. 

She released a breathy sigh when he reached over and smoothed a loose strand of her hair away from her face. He swallowed painfully, overcome by the newfound emotions he’d never felt in his life. Falling in love simply wasn’t him, until now. It was like Yelena hung the damn moon. He found himself hugely possessive and protective of her and their unborn child. There was no doubt there.

When it came to Yelena, it was as if his soul had transformed overnight. From a savage killer, that lusted for human blood, to this mushy, softhearted fool. No matter what challenges they faced, it was all worth it when he looked into her eyes.  

As he leaned in to press his lips against her forehead, Yelena’s eyes opened and her amber gaze found his. When she smiled, warmth instantly spread through his veins.

Apollyon was quiet for a moment before he cupped her jaw and feathered his thumb across her cheek and then her lips. “So beautiful,” he whispered. “You’re beautiful, Yelena. I’m so lucky you’re mine.”  

His words sent a blast of heat up her spine to her neck and over her cheeks. Yes, she thought. She was his, and he was hers.

Yelena turned her face so that her lips brushed over his hand. Then she reached out and trailed her fingers across his cheek, glancing up at him to see his reaction. It was a mixture of desire and a state of fulfillment.

Apollyon flinched when she put her hand close to the scar above his left eyebrow. When he tried to turn away, she said, “Don’t hide from me, Apollyon. Tell me. What happened?”

His brow furrowed.

Her eyes pleaded. “Please.”

For a moment, he’d forgotten that Yelena could use her skills as a succubus to get inside his head. The thought of her seeing the ugliness of his past made him sick to his stomach. He wondered how much did she already see? Shame immediately crowded in that she’d seen all his demons, his pain, and his moments of weakness.  
 
He hesitated, but then took her hand and slid it down to his chest, holding it firmly over his heart. “My father,” he simply said. “It was a form of punishment.” His eyes looked tortured, and to her shock, they glittered with tears and grief.   
  
Yelena sat up, holding the sheet over her bare breasts. “My God, Apollyon, what you went through.” Her expression was so fierce, almost angry. “I’m so sorry.”

“It was a long time ago,” he murmured. “Now that I have you, and our child,” he paused, placing his palm over the swell of her belly, “things have changed. You’re both the most precious part of my world. For the first time in my life, I have hope.”

Apollyon stared in wonder as Yelena edged toward him, letting the sheet fall from her chest. The sight of her nipples, puckered into hard rosebud points, brought him to sudden arousal. Heat flushed from his body as she swiped her tongue over her swollen lips. Even though they’d made love not long ago, he still ached for her. It took all his restraint not to pull her into his arms and lavish her entire body. He wanted her more than he wanted to breathe.

He sucked in a breath as she lowered her head and pressed her lips to the scar over his brow. Her kiss was so tender and loving. 

“I need you, Apollyon,” she whispered, craving his touch, and remembering the first time they’d made love. He made her feel as though she’d been dominated and taken. “Make love to me again.” She moaned, her tone almost begging him.

Unable to resist, he pulled her against him and kissed her hungrily. Shivers ran down his spine as her plump breasts pushed into his bare chest. She inhaled deeply and arched into him when his mouth claimed one of her taut nipples.

Apollyon couldn’t get enough of simply touching her, yet he didn’t feel worthy, although he wanted it more than anything. No part of her was left untouched as he caressed, kissed, and licked up and down her soft, flawless skin. Apollyon could no more deny Yelena than he could deny the burning desire deep within himself.

They made love, gasping and panting as their intertwined bodies came together again, and again. Using her succubus-side, Yelena whispered in his mind that she belonged to him, the words nearly sending him over the edge.

He held his weight above her as he slid in and out of her body, fearing he was too heavy for her. The last thing he wanted was to hurt the tiny life they had created. He thought, in this moment, he’d never experience something so beautiful. There were no words to describe how he felt.

Yelena rose up, curled her arms around his neck and pulled until their lips almost touched. “I’ve dreamt of this moment every night,” she said, barely above a whisper. “Of us, together again.”

 He lowered his face to the crevice of her neck and inhaled her sweet scent, wanting it embedded into his senses forever. “We’re going to be together forever,” he vowed. 

As Yelena ran her hands over Apollyon’s wide, bare shoulders, he made a sound deep in his throat. Smoothing her hands from his shoulders to his neck, she sank her hands into his hair. The long waves were so soft like the most lustrous satin. 
  
After their blissful lovemaking, he went quiet for several long moments. Wrapped in his arms, Yelena could feel the beat of his heart as his mind worked through a tangle of thoughts. She could feel the tension radiating from him in waves. Apollyon was thinking of his promise to God. In order to stay on earth with his family, he had to help destroy the creature. It was going to be a difficult task, which also involved one of his biggest rivals, the Breedline Covenant.

Forcing his mind back to focus, he kissed and nuzzled Yelena’s neck, enjoying the warmth of her skin. He murmured close to her ear, “I love you, Yelena. You’re everything to me.”

Apollyon’s words made her heart squeeze. As she snuggled into his warm embrace, his hold tightened around her.

“I love you, too,” she whispered back, barely able to keep her eyes open. She felt safe in his arms . . . protected . . . cherished.

He leaned in and kissed the top of her head. “Go back to sleep,” he murmured. “You need your rest. Soon this will all be over and we can focus on our future.”

Yelena let out a small sigh and shut her eyes. She clung to Apollyon as though he was her lifeline, but in fact, she was his.

Two hours later, pain splintered through Yelena’s spine, and she came awake with a gasp. For a moment, she thought she was just stiff from sleeping too long on her back. Then, she felt it again. A stabbing ache that radiated from her lower back down to her legs.

With all her strength, Yelena pulled herself upright in the bed, and breathed through the discomfort, bumping into Apollyon’s sleeping form.

Apollyon’s eyes flew open and he quickly sat up. “What’s wrong, Yelena?”

Her breath exploded from her lips in harsh puffs. “I’m not sure,” she said, barely managing to get the words out. “My back . . . it hurts.” 

A surge of panic burst through Apollyon like a beacon. Unsure what to do, he eased his arms around her and stroked her back, trying to comfort her.

“Please Yelena.” His hands shook as he pulled her close and slid one hand down to cup her belly. “Tell me what to do.”

Her entire body started to shake and Apollyon realized with alarm that Yelena was in a great deal of pain. Then his mind took a turn for the worse. Was there something wrong with the baby?

When Apollyon got no response from Yelena, he took control of the situation. He gently cupped her jaw and tilted her head to meet his stare. Her eyes were drenched with tears and distress. “Listen to me, Yelena,” he said as he rubbed her cheeks with his thumbs, wiping the tears away. “I want you to stay here.” He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “I’ll be right back. I’m going to get help.”

Yelena suddenly reached for his hand and gripped it with enough force to cut off his circulation. “Hurry, Apollyon,” she said as she took in several light breaths through her nose. “I think I’m in labor.”

Panic hit Apollyon in the gut like he’d been punched with an iron fist. He could handle a battle single-handedly with the least amount of fear, but the thought of losing his child or worse, Yelena dying in childbirth, was like ripping his heart straight out of his chest. He felt sick just thinking about it.

“It’s going to be all right, Yelena.” He prayed he was right. “I’m going to get Lailah. She will know what to do.”

When Yelena’s contraction passed, she took a deep breath and exhaled. Then she released his hand and nodded.

Apollyon gathered her hand back and brought it to his lips. “I love you,” he said against her soft skin. He released her hand and got to his feet. After he scrambled to get dressed, he left Yelena alone in the room to go for help.

A few minutes later, Lailah entered the room with Apollyon.

“Please help her,” Apollyon said to Lailah as he sat down on the bed next to Yelena and reached for her hand.

Lailah nodded at Apollyon although her eyes focused on Yelena. As she moved forward and stood on the other side of her, she could see the anxiety etched in Yelena’s expression.

“May I?” Lailah asked with her hand hovering close to Yelena’s rounded belly. “I need to see if your child is in danger.”

Apollyon put his arm around Yelena and lightly squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. “It’s okay, Yelena. You can trust her. I give you my word.”

Yelena grimaced and nodded at the beautiful, yet intimidating angel that towered at least ten-feet-tall with enormous black wings.

As Lailah placed her palm over Yelena’s stomach and kept it there for several minutes, Apollyon silently waited, his patience getting the best of him. “Is the baby okay?” He asked.

“He’s just fine,” Lailah said in a calm voice. “He has the heart of a lion, and he’s ready to come into this world.”

Apollyon looked over to Yelena at the same time she turned toward him. Her entire face lit up and Apollyon could see the tension ease in her expression.

“We don’t have a name for him yet,” Yelena said, looking to Apollyon as though she was searching for an answer.  

He studied her for a moment and then laced his fingers with hers. “I would like to call him, Tobias.” He smoothed his hand over her swollen belly. “It was my grandfather’s name. My mother told me it means goodness of the Lord.”

Yelena nodded her approval and leaned in to kiss him. “It’s perfect,” she said softly. 

A commotion coming from the doorway caught their attention. Apollyon breathed a huge sigh just as his mother Sonya, and sisters, Electra and Callisto stepped inside with worried looks in their eyes.

“Yelena?” Sonya said as she moved next to Apollyon and peered down at Yelena. “Are you all right, darling?”

“I’m just fine, Sonya,” Yelena told her. “The baby is ready to be born.”

Sonya immediately covered her mouth. “Oh, my,” she muttered into her palm. Tears spilled from her eyes as she lowered her hand. “But the baby—” She wearily shook her head. “He’s not due for three more weeks. Is he okay?”

Lailah patted Sonya on the arm. “No need to worry. Your grandson is going to be fine.”

“Thank goodness,” Sonya said, exhaling a deep breath.

“Congratulations brother,” Electra said as she came forward, her diamond eyes illuminating the room.

“What are you going to name him?” Callisto asked, standing in the doorway with a big grin on her face.

Yelena turned to look at Apollyon and said, “We’re going to name him Tobias.”

“That’s wonderful,” Sonya said, and then looked to Apollyon. “You’re naming him after your grandfather.”

Apollyon nodded and smiled at her.

“I hate to interrupt,” Lailah said, “but we need to prepare Yelena for delivery. I’ll need everyone to wait outside the room.”

Apollyon swallowed. “I want to stay with Yelena . . . to see my son born.” He tried to keep the nervousness from his voice but knew he failed miserably.   

“Of course you can stay, Apollyon,” Lailah said. “I was referring to everyone else.” She raised her voice, peering over her shoulder at Frigg, who was peeking into the room. “And I’ll need your help, Frigg.”

Frigg rolled his eyes and cursed under his breath, wondering how in the hell he’d gotten himself in the middle of childbirth.  

As Frigg ducked under the doorway to assist Lailah, Apollyon took Yelena’s hand and said, “I’ll be right here with you my beloved. I’m not leaving your side.”

“Thank you, Apollyon,” Yelena whispered as her head rested on his shoulder.

“What for?”

“For loving me,” she simply said as she drifted into a peaceful sleep.

An hour later, Lailah placed a small bundle into Apollyon’s arms. As he looked down into his son’s gaze, the same golden as his own, his heart skipped a beat.

“I have a son,” he heard himself say. “Welcome to the world, Tobias. I’m your father.”

As Yelena came around, feeling lightheaded from the dreamlike sleep Lailah had magically placed her in during the process of giving birth, she looked beside her when she heard Apollyon’s voice. He was sitting in the bed next to her holding their son. Tobias was beautiful, the spitting image of his father. In that instant, nothing in the world seemed to matter but this moment . . . this very precious interval of time.

“He looks just like his father,” Yelena said in a weak voice.

Apollyon looked over at Yelena and smiled. “He’s perfect.”

As Yelena reached for Tobias, Apollyon carefully placed the tiny bundle in her arms. Tears trickled down her cheeks when she saw his eyes. The pupils were the same beaming, honey-yellow as his father’s. “You are so beautiful,” she whispered to her son.

“Congratulations,” Lailah said, her eyes looking between the newly proud parents. Her gaze settled on Yelena’s. “You’ll need to rest today. Tomorrow you should be fine as long as you take it easy for a few days.”

“Thank you, Lailah,” Yelena said, and tacked on, “you too, Frigg.”

Lailah smiled and Frigg said, “It was no big deal, but if you want, you can name the little bugger after—”

“We were honored to help,” Lailah cut him off. “We’ll give you some privacy.”

When Lailah stepped out of the room with Frigg following behind her, Yelena said, “Apollyon, you should tell your family. I’m sure they’re dying to see the baby.”

Apollyon nodded, and then he found her mouth, kissing her. “I love you, Yelena.”

“I love you, too.” She stroked his face. “I love the both of you.”

Seconds later, Apollyon got out of the bed and rushed into the hallway where his family was waiting. A smile hovered over his mouth, the corners lifting as his eyes sparkled with excitement.

“Yelena’s had the baby!” He announced. 

Sonya looked over at Apollyon and then reached out her arms. “Oh, son,” she said with a wide grin. “I’m so proud of you.”

Apollyon embraced his mother. “Would you like to meet him?”

“I’d love to,” she said in a trembling voice. “Are they okay?”

“Yelena and our son are doing fine.” He motioned everyone inside the room. “Come and I’ll introduce you to Tobias.”   

When everyone came into the room and crowded around the bed, Yelena was cradling the baby against her chest. As Yelena looked up, Sonya was smiling so wide and proud. Her hands covered her heart as though she was dying to hold her grandson.

“Would you like to hold him?” Yelena asked her.

Sonya put her hands up to her face. “Oh, yes.” She sniffled. “I would love to.”

That’s when Apollyon teared up. Witnessing his mother holding her first grandchild was pretty much the best thing in the world next to witnessing the birth of his son.  

To be continued . . .
 
 
 
 
 

 

Author Notes
NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference to terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf form. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When two Breedlines experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. They bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants where she makes all the final decisions. This is their absolute True Law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the possibility of being shunned, and no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
One much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full blood Breedline, or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in war against demons and evil havoc on earth. The battle angels were unlike any of the Creator's angels. The indigenous battle angels, on average, stood ten feet tall. Although, a few towered to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. Tattooed with unique warrior markings, the black-winged warriors were suited with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wielded a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission, and are perfectly willing to give their life in the service of righteousness. Gifted with special powers, they fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. Although her killer got away with the crime, her younger brother, Detective Manuel Sanchez promises to dedicate his life trying to solve the murder.

Frigg - He is one of God's originals, serving as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, a bit of an attitude, and a love for rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers, and classic black-and-white movies, he oddly resembles the singer Billy Idol of the 80's punk rock band - sporting the same trademark bleached spiked hair and English accent. He has the unique power of shapeshifting. He can transform and reshape himself into any living thing.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with the genetics of a Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. After he kidnapped Sonya Hothburn for her genetics of a full-blooded succubus, he forced her into surrogacy. When the children were born, he forbid Sonya to see her children.
Their purpose was to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first-born Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek grew up with the strength of ten men, and possessed the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf, and a vampire-like hybrid. The second born, Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful,' developed the power to form a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. Electra, meaning 'the shining one' was last to be born. She has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber, until their mother discovered their whereabouts and set them free.

Yelena Smirnov - A full-blooded succubus from Russia. She is in charge of security at the Cat Club. She bonded with Apollyon, who later found himself apprehended by the battle angels, along with his fraternal twin sisters, Callisto, and Electra.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summons a portal.

     

© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement