FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 12 part 1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and McKenzie get closer.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 12 part 1 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

We've made it to Sunday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 5 days.


Ending of Previous Post:

McKenzie shook her head. "Not that I know of." She released a deep breath. "Want to discuss Megan?"

"I don't know of anything that needs to be said." Logan turned and faced the door.

"Or so you hope." McKenzie walked over and put her hand on his arm. "I don't know how to say this delicately so I'll just blurt it out. Just because Megan may have been pregnant doesn't change who she is."

Logan looked down at her hand and then placed his over it. "I know. She was a young, modern woman. I just remember her as my baby sister."

McKenzie's eyes met his. "You told me you weren't married and never have been. Have you ever had sex?"

His eyes widened. "Where did that come from?"

After releasing a deep breath, she continued, "Did you ever think any of those women could be somebody's baby sister?"

He scratched his jaw. "I get your point." Turning his head toward an outside noise, he added, "I think your detail's arrived."

McKenzie closed and locked the door after him. "And I'm sure none too soon for you."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 12 PART 1

McKenzie studied a file as her front door opened. She glanced up. "Didn't your parents teach you to knock before entering somebody's home?" Her eyes widened. "Why you decked out in a suit?"

Logan's eyes twinkled. "My parents did teach me to knock, but I figured you'd accuse me of not knocking so why bother?" He paused. "Truthfully, I figured you were upstairs and wouldn't hear it. You usually don't." Logan adjusted his tie. "It's Sunday. I came by to tell you I won't be here until after church. I didn't want you to worry. Aren't you going to church?"

"Later this morning, I'm going to check out Buder Park."

"After church, we can do it together. You don't have transportation anyway. Your car's in Bill's garage." Logan stepped closer to McKenzie and moved the file. "Find anything that will tell us who's threatening you?"

She laid the file on the desk. "Nope. I guess I'll keep reading until you return. Maybe I'll find something, but doubt it."

"Back to my original question; aren't you going to church?" He paused. "I know you don't have transportation but I figured you attended a neighborhood church. The detail should stay until I return."

McKenzie pointed south. "I used to go every Sunday to a small church, just down the block. After Mom and Dad died, I stopped. I couldn't take all the stares and comments."

"Have you tried a different church?" After she shook her head, Logan continued, "I'll wait while you change. You're coming with me. My parents will be happy to see you."

McKenzie wrinkled her nose. "You're being bossy again, and your parents already think we're a couple. That would just cement their opinion."

"I'm willing to risk it. Besides when I go back to Fort Bragg, they'll figure it out." Logan pointed to the stairs. "Get changed. I'll let the dogs out."

*****
It wasn't long before McKenzie returned in a dress, heels, hair flowing down her back, and make-up. Logan's eyes widened. Wow! I knew she was a looker, but wow! He found his voice, "You clean up nice."

"Thank you. You look pretty good yourself." She walked to the backdoor and let the dogs in. "I guess I'm ready." She hesitated. "Are you sure about this."

"Yes." Logan placed his hand in the small of her back. "At a minimum, it'll be interesting." He chuckled.

"After church, I'll change. I want to visit the crime scene before our dinner engagement with your buddy."

He opened the car door for her. "I hope you're including me on the crime scene visit. I want to see it for myself."

After Logan crawled behind the steering wheel, McKenzie asked, "Do I have a choice?"

He smirked. "Since you put it that way, I guess not."

"Figured as much," she teased. "Let's get this over with. Where's the church?"

"In Benton Part West, about a mile from my parents' house." Logan checked his watch. "We need to hurry or we'll be late."

*****
Logan scooted across the pew next to his dad just as the pastor welcomed everybody. McKenzie sat beside Logan, mouthed and nodded a hello to his parents, before she opened the bulletin.

As soon as the service ended, Nancy hugged her son. "We always go to Blues City Deli. It's just a sandwich shop, but we like it. Please come with us."

Logan faced McKenzie. "Do you want to or do we need to get going?"

"We have time. It's only eleven-thirty." McKenzie chewed on her lower lip. "Our afternoon plans shouldn't take that long. What time are our dinner plans?"

"Seven o'clock. He lives on the southwest side of St. Louis, Webster Groves."

"That's one of the more affluent areas." McKenzie smiled.

Logan faced his mom. "We'll follow behind. I'm sure Dad knows a quicker way. I can get there, but it would probably be the long way." He pointed toward the parking lot. "I'm parked on the east side."

As they walked out of the church to the parking lot, Nancy hooked her arm through McKenzie's. "What do you two have planned this afternoon? I hope it's something fun."

McKenzie nodded for Logan's help. I don't want to tell her we're going to check out the spot where Megan's body was found. Logan, get me out of this.

Logan put his arm around Nancy's shoulders. "Mom, do they still have the 'Sweet n' Smokey Memphis Stax'?"

Nancy smiled. "They sure do."

"I thought you only ate junk food on three occasions," teased McKenzie. "I bet they have a nice salad."

"Oh, McKenzie, they have a wonderful Greek salad. I know you'll love it." Nancy patted her arm.

Logan shook his head. "Not this gal. She's a total junk food junkier. What I don't know is if she'll go for chicken or pork." He grinned. "Maybe both." He paused. "And to answer your question, I rarely eat Sunday dinner with my parents, so it's an exception. I do allow for exceptions." Nodding toward the car, he added, "We're parked over here," and steered McKenzie toward it.

"Thank you for switching the subject. I didn't want to tell your mom we're going to the dump site."

"I understand. I knew from your face you needed help. Mom's handling all of this a lot better than I expected. I'm not sure it's hit her yet. Since the body hasn't been released, she'll still need to deal with that."

"I understand."

Silence continued to the restaurant.

Thank you Paul Bonn and the Bluesmen playing at Blue City Deli in St. Louis. They usually only have live music on Thursday evenings.






Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for a photo of a Blues City Deli. Last week I left many editing errors in my post. I hate it when I do that. I edited it many times and simply didn't catch them. I sure hope this post is cleaner.

I am back in the classroom full time with 24 students, 15 active little boys. Please say a few prayers.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement