FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 11 part 1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nancy searches for Megan's apartment key.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 11 part 1 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

Still day four of McKenzie and Logan's relationship.


Ending of Previous Post:

Joanie stood. "I forgot the buns. I'll get them." As she left the room, she added, "It's only been four days, and you're already meeting his parents."

"I'm not meeting his parents. Besides, I already know his parents. Mr. Nelson hired me. You two are reading more into this relationship than there is."

Bill nodded. "So you're admitting there's a relationship?"

McKenzie's eyes met Logan's. "Why aren't you helping me?"

"You're doing a fine job of convincing them we're in a relationship. I figured if we let it drop then it'd be over. Sort of you are protesting too much."

McKenzie hung her head. "I give up."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 11 PART 1

The drive to Logan's parents' house was silent. Eventually Logan asked, "What did Jose want?"

"He wanted me to call in a favor. It seems Whitney might have been arrested for drunk-and-disorderly the night Megan died. The arresting officer and Jose don't get along. He thought I might be able to get more information." McKenzie thought for a while before she continued, "We need to know exactly what time he was arrested. If it was before Megan was murdered, we're wasting our time. If it was after she was murdered, then we need to see if there was any blood or anything on him."

Logan continued toward his parent's. "Makes sense." He took a deep breath. "I'm not sure the police ever checked her apartment."

"I don't think they did either. There's nothing in the report about it."

"We're almost here. It's the second house on the left."

After Logan parked, McKenzie studied the house. "Why don't you go in and get the key? I'll wait out here."

"No, you won't." McKenzie opened her mouth to object, but Logan continued, "For two reasons, first, we could've been followed so it wouldn't be safe. Second, my parents don't bite and as you already stated you know my dad and we're not in a relationship, are we?"

"Of course we're not. I'm boring, not willing to compromise, or work with you."

Logan's eyes met McKenzie's. "What are you talking about?"

"Those are things you said you'd look for in a wife."

He walked around the car and opened her door. "Come on." He paused before he added, "I can't believe you memorized my list." He put his hand in the small of her back as they walked. "You're far from boring."

Logan opened the front door. "Mom, Dad, we're here."

Peter and Nancy Nelson hurried to the door as Nancy said, "Ever since you called, I've been looking for that key. I know it's in one of the drawers in the hallway."

Logan hugged his mom and kissed her cheek. "No hurry, Mom. I know you'll find it."

Peter offered McKenzie his hand. "I'm glad to see you again." He grinned. "She'll find the key. Nothing's ever permanently lost."

Accepting his hand, McKenzie said, "I completely understand. I'm sure the key wasn't used often, if at all."

Nancy continued searching drawers. "We've never used it. We gave Megan her privacy."

Peter led the way to the living room. "Exactly why do you need it?"

Logan nodded for McKenzie to answer. "I got to thinking that her cell phone wasn't listed as part of her personal belonging." She held up her phone. "I always have mine with me. I thought it was strange."

Nancy looked up from her searching. "It seemed strange to me a purse wasn't found. Mine is always on my left arm."

McKenzie tilted her head. "I don't have one. Did Megan usually carry one?"

Logan stretched his legs out. "There are a lot of things that don't make sense." He faced McKenzie. "Have you seen an autopsy report, yet?"

Shaking her head, she said, "Not yet. They said Monday or Tuesday. I'm not sure why it's taking so long."

Peter cleaned his glasses. "There are a lot of things going wrong with this. Tomorrow it will be exactly a week, and they haven't released her body. We can't even give her a decent burial." After a long silence, he continued, "I don't understand why she was in Buder Park at that time of night. The park closes thirty minutes after sunset. There's no reason for her to be there."

McKenzie bit her tongue. Unless it's a drug deal gone bad.

"Nothing good ever happens after ten o'clock. I've said it hundreds of times." Mrs. Nelson set a pile of paper aside.

"No Mom, you've said it at least a trillion times," teased Logan.

Nancy held up the key. "I found it." She joined the others sitting in the living room. "Can I offer either of you anything to eat?"

McKenzie rubbed her stomach. "No thank you."

Logan reached for the key. "Thank you Mom, but we just finished dinner and dessert with Bill and Joanie Abbott." He glanced at McKenzie. "I think we were going to visit Megan's apartment tonight, right?"

As McKenzie stood, she took Logan's offered hand. "We were."

They headed toward the front door. Good byes were said, and they walked down the front step.

Nancy watched them. "Peter, aren't they a cute couple?"

"Mom, I heard that," called Logan. "We aren't a couple. We're working together to solve Megan's murder."

"Then why are you still holding hands?"

They dropped each other's hand. "We're not," answered Logan.




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents

Recognized

Author Notes
Please remember that I write romance with a back story. I think the back story sometimes confuses the issue.

Thank you google images for artwork of looking for lost keys. My silly side won out. I guess there's a reason I teach first grade. This time I only made a couple of changes. LOL I hope I didn't make it worse. Again, thank you for your wonderful support.

Now starts the second week of sitting through training. My rear-end hurts. The children won't come back for two weeks.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement