FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 10 part 4by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie wonders about Megan's phone.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 10 part 4 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

Still day four of McKenzie and Logan's relationship.


Ending of Previous Post:

Her cheeks tinged pink. "Okay, you did well, but that doesn't mean you can handle yourself in a difficult situation. How do we know you can make split second decisions, especially under fire?"

"Are you by chance Peter Nelson's son?" asked Mitch. After Logan, nodded, he continued, "I know your dad. How many special op's missions have you been in and under heavy fire?"

"Sorry, sir. I can't answer that." Logan watched McKenzie.

"Okay, so you're some sort of special hero. You guys, it doesn't mean you guys can take over my life." McKenzie went into the house.

Logan stood. "Should I go after her?"

Bill tapped the chair. "Have a seat. My experience with Mac is to let her calm down before trying to talk with her. Joanie'll take care of it."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 10 PART 4

Bill took the brisket off the grill. "Mitch, have you had dinner? There's more than enough. You're welcome to stay. We'd enjoy your company."

Glancing at his watch, Mitch shook his head. "Better get on home. My wife's waiting dinner, and I'm already late. It's been nice discussing old times. As for Mac, I'll find somebody else. I understand not wanting her to do it. Under the circumstances, I don't either. I'm sorry I brought it up. I'm sure her dad's rolling over in his grave at the suggestion." He patted Logan's back. "You have a feisty one on your hands. Good luck." He walked inside.

Logan watched him leave. "Why does everybody assume Mac and I are a couple? Half the time we're barely on speaking terms."

Chuckling, Bill said, "Because that's how all good relationships start."

Logan opened the door for Bill. "Whatever."

Inside Joanie showed Mitch to the front door while Bill and Logan went into the dining room.

McKenzie glanced up from setting the table. "I don't want to talk about it."

Bill set the brisket on the table. "Good. I was hoping we'd have a pleasant dinner, weren't you?"
Joanie entered. "I don't know what you're arguing about this time, but put it on pause until after dinner, and then you can go to your respected corners. Deal?"

Bill sat. "Deal."

McKenzie placed the last plate on the table. "Deal." She glanced at her ringing phone and stepped into the kitchen.

When she returned, everybody was seated and Joanie asked, "Is everything all right?"

McKenzie sat in a vacant chair closest to Logan. "Yes. It was Jose. He's having a boys-night-out with Whitney. He asked me to check on something for him. It's not urgent so I'll do it when I get home or in the morning." She glanced at Logan. "Nothing has changed."

Bill picked up a large serving fork. "Mac, pass me your plate. I hope you're hungry."

Joanie laughed. "Ever known a time she wasn't?"

He placed large slices of meat on Mckenzie's plate and said, "True. Logan, help yourself to some potato salad and pass it around. You're up next."

McKenzie studied Logan a few moments. "Do you have a key to Megan's apartment?"

"No, but I'm sure my parents do, why?"

"No phone was found on her. Most young women always have their phone with them. I think it's strange there wasn't one."

Logan tilted his head. "You're right. Her phone was almost an extension of her hand. On the way home we'll stop at my parents' and get the key."

Bill and Joanie winked at each other.

McKenzie noticed. "What was that about?"

"What?" asked Bill.

"You know what, those winks. The one you and Joanie just shared."

Joanie stood. "I forgot the buns. I'll get them." As she left the room, she added, "It's only been four days, and you're already meeting his parents."

"I'm not meeting his parents. Besides, I already know his parents. Mr. Nelson hired me. You two are reading more into this relationship than there is."

Bill nodded. "So you're admitting there's a relationship?"

McKenzie's eyes met Logan's. "Why aren't you helping me?"

"You're doing a fine job of convincing them we're in a relationship. I figured if we let it drop then it'd be over. Sort of you are protesting too much."

McKenzie hung her head. "I give up."







Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy

Recognized

Author Notes
Please remember that I write romance with a back story. I think the back story sometimes confuses the issue.

Thank you google images for a photo of a brisket dinner plate. Again, I added to the story as I posts. It's these corrections that cause additional mistakes. LOL I felt some areas needed clarity. I hope I didn't make it worse. Again, thank you for your wonderful support.

This next week will be my first full week back to work after summer break. We were emailed the schedule. Two weeks of sitting through training. OUCH!!!! The children won't come back for two weeks.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement