FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 10 part 3by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and Bill say no to Mac playing poker.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 10 part 3 by barbara.wilkey
Book of the Month contest entry

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

Just a note, Again they've only known each other four days.


Ending of Previous Post:

After greetings were completed and the introduction of Logan made, everybody sat.

"I guess I need to start." Mitch hung his head. "I came to ask Bill if he'd speak with you." His eyes met McKenzie's. "I know from when I partnered with your dad, that you played a pretty mean game of poker. I'm hoping you still do."

"I do. About once a month some old friends of Dad's and I get together and play a few hands. I've been known to still win a few hands. I'm surprised you haven't joined us. Why you asking?"

"She's usually the big winner," interrupted Bill.

Logan shook his head. "Is there anything you don't do?"

"Cook." McKenzie grinned.

Bill laughed. "That she doesn't do." He checked on the brisket, before he sat. "Why are you interested if Mac still plays poker?"


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 10 Part 3

Mitch released a deep breath. "We've been doing surveillance on a man, Ivan Smart. We're positive he's the leader of a gang who's running a human trafficking and child pornography ring. He's probably also into drugs. They seem to go together. But we don't have enough evidence to make any arrests. He plays poker every Wednesday night. We're afraid he'll make us, but Mac could buy into a seat and probably nobody would be suspicious. I heard she's really good undercover. Bottom line is we need somebody to get close to him."

Logan stretched out his legs and said, "With everything that's going on right now, I don't think it's a good idea."

Bill stood. "I agree with Logan. Mac's got too much on her plate. I'm sure you can find somebody else. Besides wouldn't a male be able to get closer to him than a female?"

"Wait a minute!" McKenzie glared at Bill, who was standing by the smoker. "When did you two become my bosses?" She faced Mitch. "I'll be happy to do it. I'm sure I could get close to him. I could play up to his male ego."

A gulp was heard, before Mitch asked, "What am I missing? There seems to be an elephant in the room."

"I think the timing's off." Bill tapped the tongs he still held in his hand from checking the meat. "There have been a few threats made on Mac. I've assigned her a nightly police detail."

"Mac's safety is of upmost importance. I need to find somebody else for this." Mitch paused. "Do you know who's making threats?"

"Absolutely no idea, not even a hint." Bill took a drink of water. "That's the worst part. We don't know who we're dealing with."

"I'm sitting right here. I refuse to be held hostage in my house. I'm going to continue doing my job. I'll be happy to play poker." McKenzie held her breath. "If it makes you guys feel better, I'll take Jose with me as my lucky charm. I'm sure he could win over this guy."

"I know Jose, and he does great undercover work. I thought of him first, but he's a lousy poker player. I've played with him a couple of times." Mitch studied McKenzie. "I like your enthusiasm but I'm not sure it's in your best interest."

Joanie opened the patio door. "How close is the brisket?"

Bill got up to recheck. "Maybe another fifteen minutes."

"I can do this." McKenzie glanced at Joanie as she closed the door. "If it'll make you feel better, send Jose's partner with him."

After studying Logan, Bill said, "Mac, I know you'll argue with this idea but with Logan's training he'd better at this than Jose or his partner."

"Just because he's had great training doesn't mean he can execute it. All we really know is he has something to do with the Army's Special Forces and likes to cook. He may be a wimp."

"I seriously doubt that." Bill pointed the tongs toward Logan. "Have you noticed those biceps?"

"Okay, he lifts weights but that doesn't mean he can protect me or himself, for that matter. Logan had been sitting quietly listening to the argument between McKenzie and Bill. He cleared his throat. "Mac, did you forget yesterday we went to the gym and sparred?"

She nodded. "You kept up with me."

"If I remember correctly, I offered advice about how predictable your jabs and kicks were that your instructor hadn't noticed."

Her cheeks tinged pink. "Okay, you did well, but that doesn't mean you can handle yourself in a difficult situation. How do we know you can make split second decisions, especially under fire?"

"Are you by chance Peter Nelson's son?" asked Mitch. After Logan, nodded, he continued, "I know your dad. How many special op's missions have you been in and under heavy fire?"

"Sorry, sir. I can't answer that." Logan watched McKenzie.

"Okay, so you're some sort of special hero. You guys, it doesn't mean he can take over my life." McKenzie went into the house.

Logan stood. "Should I go after her?"

Bill tapped the chair. "Have a seat. My experience with Mac is to let her calm down before trying to talk with her. Joanie'll take care of it."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy

Recognized

Author Notes
Steven has taken this cardiac incident seriously and is starting to each much healthier. A big step in the right direction. Thank you for your well wishes.

I will keep you posted on how my new book being published is going.

Please remember that I write romance with a back story. I think the back story sometimes confuses the issue.

Thank you google images for a photo of poker game. Again, I added to the story as I posts. I felt some areas needed clarity. I hope I didn't make it worse. Please remember Ivan Smart. He's important and his name will show up again.

Again, thank you for your wonderful support.

As a teacher, I go back to work Thursday. DARN!!! The children return on the 26th. I actually do miss them.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement