FanStory.com - A True Confessionby aryr
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
contest entry
A True Confession by aryr
True Story Contest contest entry

Customs and languages are rather interesting. They do tend to present challenges and awkward moments.

When relocating to the USA as a registered nurse way back when, I found my home to be in North Carolina. I was close to the mountains, which were beautiful and provided unique day trips when I was off duty.

Because of the area I lived in, I was also exposed to some of the hill folk or what I have since learned was the hillbilly lifestyle.

It took me a couple of months before I finally asked what a 'hiney' was. I was smart enough to know it was a body part, but dumb enough that I had no clue as to what part.

It was a delight to learn that it was in reference to one's buttocks, one's bum which, of course, leads us to a different conversation. A bum, according to the other nurses was a person who slept in the streets and an ass was a donkey or mule.

Oh my, life was different.

On my time off from the ICU, if I didn't travel home to Canada, I worked a shift or two in either Emergency or Same Day Surgery.

A shift in Same Day Surgery proved to be both interesting and educational. One of my patients was scheduled for a carpal tunnel procedure, which meant having an IV heplock in both hands.
Now, the family were hill folk, and they were all there to see mama off and await her return. A husband in overalls, tee shirt and a straw hat and seven children were in attendance. The boys were replicas of daddy and the girls were in dresses.

I explained the procedure, had the Mrs. sign the necessary consents and informed them I would return in a few minutes to take care of the heplocks. (Intravenous accesses)

When I came back with the needed supplies, I found the wife in tears, the children in tears and the husband with a determined look and a hand resting on her shoulder.

"I promise she will not say another word, we will get through this surgery and not cause any trouble. You won't need a lip lock. Okay ma'am?"

I was astonished and quickly explained what a heplock was, and everyone laughed over the misunderstanding.

Her surgery was successful, and they were all happy when they left the hospital.

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you for the art work- Front Line Nurse. by Mr Jones

     

© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement