FanStory.com - Go Backby nomi338
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sample of a conversation repeated too often these days.
Go Back by nomi338

Darren Jackson was somewhat surprised when Steve Palmer, his white coworker approached him with a broad smile.
"Hey Darren" Steve said in a very relaxed and welcoming voice." I just wanted to tell you that I was very impressed with your presentation at this week's staff meeting." Darren smiled back at Steve and said, "thanks man, I appreciate it."
The very next statement made by Steve, knocked Darren for a loop. Steve said,
"You know Darren, if you went back to Africa, you could probably do really well for yourself."
After a moment of reflection, Darren said," Thanks Steve, and I imagine that if you went back to Europe, you could also do well for yourself."
Steve's face turned red almost immediately as he said with heat, "Whoa partner, I was born right here in the United States! So just where in Europe do you suppose I should go?"
Darren then replied with equal heat, "Exactly! I was also born right here in the United States, so just where in Africa do you suppose I should go?"
As Darren's clear point began to sink in, Steve in complete embarrassment, began to apologize. At which point, Darren got Steve to see that many people make rash statements like that all the time, without thinking about how it will sound or how much sense it would actually make. The worst part of which is that it led to hurt feelings and animosity. Steve swore that he understood and would not make a mistake like that ever again.

Recognized

Author Notes
This conversation is very much like one I had back in 1968. I was still in my 20's then and I worked around men twice my age. Most of these men thought very little of me as most of them had sons my age. I was sort of a guinea pig because I would talk to them in ways their sons would not. We would frequently bump heads over issues like this. The image is borrowed from the Internet.

     

© Copyright 2024. nomi338 All rights reserved.
nomi338 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement