FanStory.com - Creme De Mentheby Diana L Crawford
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
2nd Place in Consequences Contest/July 17, 2019
Creme De Menthe by Diana L Crawford
Consequences writing prompt entry


















It was a dark, misty evening.  A silvery moon peaked out from behind smoke-colored clouds. My best friend, Becky, just found out that her father was having an affair with one of our neighborhood mothers; and at age fourteen, this was quite emotionally distressing news for her.

It was about 8:00 PM when I saw Becky’s light flash on and off (we could see each other’s bedroom windows from where we lived).  That was my signal to meet her at the corner.  In order to help her deal with the current events, she took a bottle of Creme De Menthe from her parents liquor cabinet.  You can imagine my great surprise when I arrived and saw this huge bottle of liqueur in her hand. I had never drunk before and neither had she.

Becky opened the bottle, and we both took a swig, noticing only how sweet and delicious it tasted. Each of us took an occasional sip as we walked and talked about the impact of events over the last couple of days.  Soon, though, neither of us were feeling any pain, and the giggles set in.

After walking for about a half hour, we decided to brave our way to the wretched creature’s house. By the time we reached her house, the liquor had dissolved all of our inhibitions. Thankfully, she was not at home at the time.  Since we still had some time before we had to be home,  we hung out for a while talking and laughing.  

I decided to take a seat on the “creature’s” 3 foot wood fence. Becky had made some pretty funny comments, and I was laughing so hard that I fell backwards into her yard.  My best friend, equipped with the open bottle of Crème De Menthe, bent over laughing and accidentally poured some of the Creme De Menthe on me.  The liqueur landed in my hair.  Needless to say, we howled even louder!  

Soon, we made our way home, and I quietly went to my room, passing out immediately.  About three hours later, I woke up to find part of my hair standing straight up and hard as a board. There I was past midnight washing my hair!

The lesson I learned that night was not to allow your friend to hold an open liquor bottle while laughing as the consequence is a head full of sticky, icky liquor.



 


Writing Prompt
Write a STORY (no poems) of no more than 400 words describing an action or conversation and the CONSEQUENCES that followed. MUST INCLUDE the word LESSON within a sentence anywhere in the story.

Recognized

Author Notes
This story is dedicated to my best friend who passed away at 19 years old in 1976. She suffered internal injuries from a freak accident at Warren Dunes State Park on Lake Michigan. This is only one of many precious memories I hold dear to my heart.

     

© Copyright 2024. Diana L Crawford All rights reserved.
Diana L Crawford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement