FanStory.com - Workplace Conscientiousnessby Rachelle Allen
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When one goes above and beyond the call
A Fly on the Wall
: Workplace Conscientiousness by Rachelle Allen

Background
These are journal entries of people and situations I have encountered throughout my life. They are not posted in chronological order.

March 23, 2014
I am in The Dollar Store at the register, facing a wall with letters the size of Asia that read:

EVERYTHING’S!

A!

DOLLAR!

So imagine my surprise when the cashier picks up one of my items, holds it aloft, and shouts to her manager, ‘"BOB! HOW MUCH IS THIS?"

I do a surreptitious check for the Candid Camera crew because, obviously, someone is pranking me here. But no. No hidden cameras. This is my real life.

Out of compassion for this young girl, I lean in and say very quietly, because the line behind me is sizable and I don’t want her to be a laughing stock, "Um, I think it’s a dollar."

She rails on me. "WELL SOME THINGS ARE TWO FOR A DOLLAR!"

"Oh-KAYYYY then!" I retort and feel proud that I have refrained from adding the b-word, though, if I’m honest, I think it may have hung there in parentheses.

Bob shouts back. "IT’S A DOLLAR!" His tone says he considers her Employee of the Month material.

Sometimes I wish G-d did not give me so many opportunities to need this sense of humor He bestowed.


Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Rachelle Allen All rights reserved.
Rachelle Allen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement