FanStory.com - Beastby scongrove
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series
THE IMMORTAL
: Beast by scongrove

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you see any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!

Previously . . .

After Captain Hodge offered Jimmy Fratianno time off his sentence if he turns over state’s evidence, he suddenly changes his mind. Somehow, Jimmy manages to get his hands on a shotgun and tries to escape the Berkeley Precinct. In the process, he injures Detective Perkins. Before he fires another shot, Detective Manuel Sanchez takes him out with two bullets. When the detective checks to see if Jimmy is dead, something strange occurs. As Jimmy’s prison jumpsuit splits apart at the seams, coarse black fur sprouts throughout his body until a wolfish creature immerges. Taken aback by Jimmy’s newfound transformation, Detective Sanchez reaches for his weapon. Faster than the human eye can perceive, the wolfish creature swats at his gun before the detective can discharge it, and escapes a precinct full of armed men and women. 


While the ambulance takes Detective Perkins to the hospital, his partner, Detective Sanchez goes out for some fresh air. In the event of what just went down in his own precinct, he needed to take a breather. Before he could get around the corner of the police station, a black SUV tries to take him out. Taking a bullet in the shoulder, Sanchez manages to capture the shooter—in which he suspicions is connected to Jimmy Fratianno’s family—while the driver makes his get-away. When Detective Sanchez arrives at the hospital, he decides this is way over his department’s head, and calls the Breedline Covenant for assistance.  
   
                          

Continued . . .

After Jimmy Fratianno caused a ruckus at the police station, Tim Ross had Drakon form a team to go hunt him down. The tracking device implanted inside Jimmy gave them his exact location. By the looks of things, and the family’s criminal history, it wasn’t going to be easy getting into his Uncle Vincent Scarpelli’s place without a confrontation.   
    
As Drakon, Lawrence, and Roman worked their way to their destination, Jem and Jace hung back, waiting for their signal to move forward with the plan. Once they reached the rendezvous point—an unguarded passage that led to the back of Scarpelli’s estate—they would give them a thumb’s up, using a two-way radio. It wouldn’t take but a few seconds to meet the others, considering Jem had the ability to use a portal to get them where they needed to be.

A half hour later, the others finally reached a large tract of land covered with trees and underbrush. Drakon stopped to check his map. He pointed out to the others an area that ran alongside a creek. “Once we get around to the north side of that creek, we’ll be within range of Scarpelli’s estate.”

Roman looked to where Drakon had directed them and said, “You want me to radio Jem and Jace?”

Drakon nodded. “Tell them to get to the place we agreed to meet in fifteen minutes. From here, it shouldn’t take us much longer.”   
 
“Don’t you think it would have been quicker if we just had Jem take us all there using a portal?” Roman queried.

“Yeah, it would have been quicker,” Drakon replied, “but considering Scarpelli’s man-power, it’s better if we split up. We could run into trouble.” Then he added, “Plus, I’m not particularly fond of portals. Have you ever traveled through one?”

“No, I can’t say I have. Oh, wait a minute. I did when Jem took us through a portal after we battled it out with the Fury.” Roman shrugged. “Why do you ask?”

“Because, the last time, it threw my equilibrium completely off,” Drakon told him. “I felt like I was on a bender from hell for two days.” 

Roman smirked, and then radioed Jem and Jace. 

As they waited on Roman, Lawrence stared out over the woodland and said, “Keep your eyes peeled, guys. At this close range, we could run into some of Scarpelli’s men. He’s well-known for taking extreme measures when it comes to his security.”  
 
A mile out, Drakon slowed, getting his water bottle out of his pack and swigging half of the contents down in one big gulp. As he paused to put the bottle back, he heard a rustling noise coming from behind. Without hesitation, he turned with his pistol raised, but it was too late.  
       
At least a half a dozen men dressed in camouflage had their guns on Drakon, Lawrence, and Roman as if daring them to make a move. Their expressions were harsh as they seemed to weigh the opposition. And they looked way too damn trigger-happy.

“Drop your weapons now!” One of the men barked the order. 

As Drakon lowered his gun, he hoped to hell that Jem and Jace weren’t stuck in the same predicament. This could all go to shit at a moment’s notice, and he damn sure didn’t want to have to shift into his rogue wolf in front of all these humans. 

A stalky man stepped forward that Roman instantly recognized. He had a cigar tucked between his lips. “This is how it’s going to play out.” He blew out an agitated puff of smoke, and then threw the still glowing stogie to the ground. “You’re going to do exactly what I say. Anyone tries anything stupid,” he paused briefly and pointed his gun at Drakon, “I’ll put a silver bullet through his head.” Then he shifted his weapon in Lawrence’s direction, aiming it at his forehead. “Yes, I know what you all are. Isn’t that right, Mr. Roman Kincaid?”  
   
Roman straightened, his face going tight, his nostrils flaring. Anger boiled up in his throat until the bitter taste of acid saturated his tongue. For a moment, he stood glaring at a man he believed to be dead and buried years ago. At first glance, it was as though a ghost from the past had come back to haunt him. But it wasn’t a ghost he was looking at. It was Ethan Renshaw. The shady bastard had his fingers into damn near everything. Dirty politics, illegal drugs, gun running, and sex trafficking. There isn’t much he hasn’t done. And most of the shit would turn the stomach of a serial killer. He did all of Vincent Scarpelli and his cousin, Gino Beneditti’s dirty work.

Ten years ago, the military contracted Roman to hunt down the POS. He’d never forget the blistering Sahara Desert. Along with four of his team members, they spent several agonizing days tracking Renshaw through Northern Africa until finally they caught up with him and his pack of bodyguards. Their mission was to bring him in alive, but under grave circumstances, they were forced to do otherwise. During a sand storm, Roman and his men took Renshaw’s guards by surprise. Inside a tent that looked like King Tut’s, they found the dirty bastard raping a young civilian girl that he kidnapped two days prior. His dead corpse was the last of Ethan Renshaw Roman set eyes on. Now, he was staring into the bastard’s cold, evil eyes once again. He could have sworn Renshaw was dead because he had been the one that pulled the trigger that supposedly ended his life. Considering the current situation, it appeared that the asshole had nine lives.   
   
Renshaw pushed forward until he was just inches from Roman’s face and raised a speculative eyebrow. “I bet you never expected to see me alive seeing that you killed me and all,” he said mockingly. “How does it feel to be at my mercy, Kincaid?”

Drakon’s eyes widened in surprise and then looked at Roman, as if gauging his reaction to Renshaw’s statement.

Lawrence stiffened beside him, but he didn’t react.

“Go to hell,” Roman gritted out.

Renshaw laughed. “The feeling is entirely mutual.” Then he nodded at his men and said, “Cuff ‘em. And if they give you any trouble,” he pointed at Drakon, “shoot that one in the head.”

Roman glared in hatred, and turned to meet his comrades-at-arms. Lawrence stood there looking like you could break a rock on his face. Drakon looked . . . pissed, for lack of a better word. His hands wound into tight fists and his lips drawn in a straight line. 

Renshaw’s cell went off just as his men were about to secure Roman, Lawrence, and Drakon in handcuffs. As he pulled it from the inside of his jacket and answered, his entire body tensed and his expression became dark and hostile. Renshaw’s hand curled so tightly around the phone that his knuckles whitened. To Roman’s surprise, he moved closer and extended the phone in his direction.

“It’s Vincent Scarpelli,” he grumbled between gritted teeth. “He wants to speak to you.”  

Roman took the phone from Renshaw’s hand and barked, “Kincaid speaking.”

Vincent Scarpelli was short and to the point. “I have something you want, and you have something I want. If you want your men to stay alive, give me the location of a Mr. Tim Ross. He’s the sorry bastard that put away my nephew. And he’s the only one that can safely remove the explosive tracking device that’s planted in him.” 
   
Roman’s lips curled into a snarl. “You can go screw yourself.”

Scarpelli smirked into the phone. “Have it your way, Kincaid.”

In the brief silence that followed, a gun going off in the background was all Roman heard, and then Jace screaming his twin brother’s name.

Roman’s face fell, and he sucked in a wavering breath. “You, son-of-a-bitch!” he roared into the receiver.  

“Do I have your attention now?” Scarpelli asked in a smug tone.

Despite the fact that a silver bullet wasn’t lethal to Jem or Jace, it galled Roman to the deepest pit of his core that Scarpelli thought to have murdered one of his friends. He lifted his gaze and sought out Drakon, who stood as still as a statue, wondering what in the hell was going on. Lawrence had the same look of bewilderment stamped all over his face.

Then, as if gathering himself, Roman straightened. His eyes went flat and no hint of emotion reflected in the dark color. “I want to talk to you face to face . . . man to man,” he told Scarpelli, stalling the bastard. Roman knew it was just a matter of time before Jace’s Beast reared its ugly head. “Give me that,” he continued, “and I’ll tell you what you want.”
  
“I will agree, but if you screw with me, Mr. Kincaid,” Scarpelli threatened, “I’ll order the rest of your men to be put down like the dogs they are. Do I make myself clear?”

Roman nodded against the phone. “Yeah, we’re clear alright.” His voice was tight with anger. He lifted his gaze, and focused them on Renshaw.

Before Roman could hand the phone back to him, Renshaw jerked it away and put it to his ear. “What the hell was that all about?” he all but roared at Scarpelli.

Not long after, all the color leeched out of Renshaw’s face. You could hear Vincent Scarpelli’s voice thundering over the phone.

“Yes, sir,” Renshaw painfully choked out. As he ended the call, he looked at Roman with pure distaste and said, “When Scarpelli is done with you, I’ve got a score to settle.” 

Roman’s lips curled into a sneer, but he didn’t say anything. He just stared at Renshaw, his eyes seething with rage. He’d like nothing more than to shift into his Adalwolf and rip the bastard’s throat out.     
   
After Renshaw’s men forced Roman, Lawrence, and Drakon in the back of a dark SUV at gunpoint, they finally rolled up to the gates that led to Vincent Scarpelli’s massive estate.

When Renshaw spoke into the security camera, he became curious to why there was no immediate reply. As minutes passed, his curiosity turned to hostility.

“What the hell is going on?” Renshaw shouted. “Will someone open this damn gate?”

Out of nowhere, something crashed into the windshield with a loud bang.

Renshaw flinched. “What the f—”

Lying on top of the vehicle’s hood was a human head. Its glassy stare met Renshaw’s wide eyes. It was Vincent Scarpelli. At least what was left of the guy.

“H-holy shit,” said Renshaw’s guard that was sitting in the passenger seat of the SUV. He made the sign of the cross with his hand. His entire body trembled as he pointed toward the windshield. “Is that Mr. Scarpelli?”

Just as Renshaw opened his mouth to make a reply, a bone-chilling roar cut him off. When he looked away from the severed head, he caught sight of an enormous creature climbing over the gate. Covered in white shaggy fur, it towered at least seven feet tall or so, with teeth the size of daggers and a slashing pair of front claws.

“Shit!” Renshaw cursed under his breath. Without further delay, he quickly reached to the door panel. After he rolled up his window, he hit the button to lock the doors.  

“Will someone tell me what the hell that is?” said the guard sitting next to Renshaw as he fumbled with the door, checking the lock.  

“It’s Jace,” Drakon muttered from the back. “When he’s pissed off.”

The guard felt his heart pounding in his chest. “Can that thing get in here?” 

“If he’s hungry enough,” Drakon replied with a clear smirk in his voice.     
          
When the Beast cleared the gate and charged at the SUV, running on two legs, the guard checked the door one more time.

The rest of Renshaw’s men were gone. The sounds of tires squealing pissed him off. Damn traitors! Renshaw thought, watching his own men desert him.    

The Beast came up to Renshaw’s window and pressed his massive face so close, his hot breath fogged the glass as he exhaled. Renshaw stiffened in his seat, taken aback by the unholy creature before him. Yellow glowing eyes glared out from the creature’s wolfish face, and dark blood dripped from its monstrous jaws, staining its milky fur.  
 
With his eyes locked onto the creature, Renshaw reached for his weapon.  

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Drakon warned him. “Silver bullets are useless.”

 Shit! “Are you saying that thing is indestructible?” Renshaw asked, trying to keep his voice low.

Drakon cocked a brow. “Yep. I’d say all of you are pretty much screwed.”  

Renshaw ignored Drakon’s warning, and gripped his pistol. When he turned to the door, the Beast slammed his clawed-hand through the window. The immense force caused the entire SUV to bounce up off its wheels. The gun slipped from Renshaw’s fingers as he flew across the cab, knocking the guard into passengers-side window. Glass shattered against his skull, rendering him unconscious.

Before Renshaw could react, the Beast tore the door off its hinges and sunk his claws deep into his back. Renshaw howled in agony. The white beast jerked him from the SUV, and tossed him like a rag doll. He crashed into the side of an abandoned vehicle close by, denting the metal panel. When he hit the ground headfirst, pain exploded inside his skull, causing his vision to blur.     
       
Renshaw looked up and found the Beast looming over him with a hungry expression in his eyes. He covered his head with his arms, afraid to watch . . . afraid of becoming the creature’s next meal.

Someone yelled, “Jace! Stop!”

The Beast’s head whipped around as his twin brother’s voice traveled from the other side of the gates. Then his attention shifted to Drakon and Lawrence as they stepped out of the SUV. Roman stood back, anxiously waiting to be the one to witness Ethan Renshaw as he finally met his maker, and this time for good.

“I’ll distract Jace,” Drakon said to Lawrence. “You get Renshaw out of the way.”

The Beast turned toward Drakon and positioned itself in an attack stance. The muscles in its legs quivered, waiting for Drakon to make a move.  

Drakon took a step forward as Lawrence readied himself to grab Renshaw.

The Beast crouched lower and snapped its jaws.

Jem shot around the corner. “Drakon stand back!” 

When Drakon stopped moving, the Beast looked toward Jem.

“Brother,” Jem murmured with hand outstretched. “It’s me. Jem.”

The Beast’s eyes narrowed and its lips curled up into a snarl.

“Everything is okay, brother.” Jem used his telepathic voice as he approached the Beast slowly, hoping he could get to his brother and talk him down. He knew Jace was in there somewhere. 

The Beast heaved in a big breath, and then eyed Renshaw once again.

“Look at me, brother,” Jem said in a low voice. “He’s not going to be a threat to you, to me, or anyone else ever again.”

In that moment of distraction, Renshaw made a move for another weapon he had tucked behind his back. Before he could fire a shot, the Beast lunged at him.

Jem and the others immediately ducked.

The sound of the Beast’s thunderous roar went silent as he took Renshaw’s head between his jaws.

Jem turned away from the horrible killing, cringing at the sounds of flesh torn and bones crunching.

Moments later, Jem felt something nudge at his arm. Jace’s Beast was pushing at him with its wolfish paw.

Jem looked up into the Beast’s glowing eyes, and sagged in relief. “It’s okay, brother,” he said. “Now, bring Jace back.”

The Beast heaved a deep breath and dropped to its knees. There was a flash of light and then Jace appeared in his human form, lying on the ground.

Jem shrugged out of his jacket and covered Jace’s naked body as Drakon, Lawrence, and Roman rushed over.  
 
“Jem . . .” Jace said in a weak voice.

“Don’t worry, brother. I’m right here. Everyone is going to be fine.”

Jem looked up from Jace’s body and focused toward the others. “I’ll take him back to the Covenant while you guys wrap things up here.”

“I’m guessing there’s no one left alive inside Scarpelli’s estate, am I right?” Drakon asked Jem.

“Yep,” Jem replied. “After Vincent Scarpelli shot me, Jace went ballistic. Be warned before you go inside. It’s not a pretty sight.”

“It’s nothing we haven’t seen before,” Lawrence chimed in.

Before Jem summoned a portal, Roman knelt down beside Jace and said, “Thanks for saving our asses.” He patted Jace’s shoulder. “But I’ve got to say this.” He chuckled a little. “That thing you turn into. That’s one ugly son-of-a-bitch.” 

Jace smirked in triumph. “You only wish you could be as great.”

“Yeah, you said that right.” Roman stood up. “I owe you one, buddy.”

“Don’t mention it,” Jace said, heaving a deep breath. “It’s what I do.”  

To be continued . . .       
 
 

 

Author Notes
NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When two Breedlines experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. They bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants where she makes all the final decisions. This is their absolute True Law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the possibility of being shunned, and no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change into human form again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops Team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species. Enraged by his first bonded mate's death at the hands of her father, Drakon breaks the Breedline's True Law and kills him. After he is shunned by the Covenant and forced to live as a rogue wolf, he's promised his humanity back if he joins the Chiang-Shih demon's army. When Drakon discovers the demon's plans to destroy all humans and half-breeds, he betrays him and joins forces with the Breedline. As time passes, he bonds with another mate, Cassie Chamberlain.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species, and the head council of the California Covenant.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species and later discovers his birth father - who is possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon - murdered his mother when he and his twin brother were four years old. Raised by their new foster family and their Uncle Jacks, he later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast. With the help of his twin brother, Jem, and his bonded mate, Tessa, they help him cope with his rage to keep the Beast at bay. He's an IT engineer, and is the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon that gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electric energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah was murdered, and her killer never apprehended. Consumed by Lailah's death, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement hoping someday he will bring justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective - he discovers he's not entirely human, and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.
Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Captain James Hodge - He is Detective Manuel Sanchez and Detective Frank Perkins superior at the San Francisco, California Police Department.

     

© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement