FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 6 part 3by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
MacKenzie gets ready to meet Kate.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 6 part 3 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't want to believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat

Ending of Previous Post:

"Sounds good." McKenzie went to her desk. "I'm going to review some old files and see if I can find somebody who wants to intimidate me." She glanced at Logan. "A rat would indicate somebody thinks I've told on them, right?"

"Usually. Any ideas who might think you ratted them out?" Logan cracked the eggs. "Are scrambled eggs and fruit okay?"

She nodded. "Yes. I guess technically any of the husband/wife cheating cases, but nothing that would cause this extreme behavior."

"Did it cause anybody to have to pay a large divorce settlement?"

"Good question. I'd need to do some further research into that."

Logan glanced at his ringing cell. That's strange. I don't recognize the number. He took it outside. "Hello." He listened. "Yes, Bill. What question?" Again he listened. "No, we haven't discussed overnight. She just started talking to me, again. I don't think I'd better press my luck, right now." Silence. "Sure, I'll let you know when I find out. How'd you get my number?" He laughed. "Of course, Dad. I'll get back to you when I have an answer." He added Bill's number to his cell.

When Logan returned to the kitchen, McKenzie asked, "Who was it?"

"Dad. He wanted to know when we were coming to dinner."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 6 PART 3

After McKenzie parked her car in Bill's garage, she tossed a blanket over it. "Thank you for thinking of this."

Logan helped adjust the cover. "When I've deployed, I've had to store my cars. I've learned a few secrets." He glanced at his watch. "We'd better get going. We need to go clear across town to the coffee shop."

McKenzie thanked and said good-bye to Joanie. Logan passed her his car keys. "Want to drive? You probably know the shortest way."

"You sure?"

"Yes." Logan opened the door for her. "What are your plans after this meeting?"

"I'm not sure. I should contact Mrs. Whitmore and see what she wants to do with her husband's information." She watched the car in front of her switch lanes. "I don't think I'd want my husband hanging around a strip joint. But then again she is having an affair."

"I'm curious. Why not? Some men just watch and don't touch. Would that be okay?"

"I'm not sure, but something doesn't seem right about it. I guess I want to be the only woman my husband desires."

So she does have an old-fashioned streak.

"Why does that surprise you?"

"You just read my mind." Logan grinned. "It doesn't really, but you're not a traditional gal, except when it comes to this."

"Just because I don't cook?" McKenzie glanced at him. "Where'd you learn to cook anyway? Don't you live in the barracks?"

"I cook at home. Only the single lower enlisted live in barracks. I have my own place."

"With your wife?'

"Nope, I'm single." As he watched McKenzie's reaction, he added, "I've never been married."

McKenzie teased, "You're probably too bossy."

"Could be. I just figured I hadn't found the right girl, yet."

She pulled into a parking slot and glanced at her watch. "I'm about fifteen minutes early. That's good. I can find a private table so we can talk."

"Want me to come in and wait with you?" As McKenzie shook her head, Logan continued, "I'm at least going to come in and scout the area." He walked around and opened her door.

"Later we'll discuss what the right girl is."

Logan laughed. "Sure."

McKenzie watched Logan leave the coffee shop and then ordered a large coffee and a blueberry muffin. As she sat at a corner table, she smiled. I wonder what type of a woman would catch his eye. That should be an interesting conversation.



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for a photo of a St. Louis coffee shop This post is a little under 500 words. I know it's a little short but it does have important information in it and the next post starts a new chapter. Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
I am still enjoying my granddaughter's company. Last week we took a vacation to Galveston and got caught in nothing but wind and rain. So getting into the gulf was out, but we still had a lot of fun.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement