FanStory.com - When The Reaper Diesby Mr. Green
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Merging of humans and machines
When The Reaper Dies by Mr. Green
Create a Chapter contest entry

With the growing automated technologies, came a desire, no, it became a passion, to merge humans with robots.

It began with artificial limbs, then 3D printing, and the advances that followed.

Long before my time, there was a new science, they called it remote-viewing. With the planting of dis-information, society thought it was discontinued..., they were wrong.

Then came the efforts thru robotics and Artificial Intelligence.

After the 22nd Century began, there were incredible advances in electronics, computers and hybrid humans.

Soon, there was born a fear that one day robots would take over the world, and once they learned to self-replicate, they would eventually exterminate human-kind.

I know how shallow that fear was, and how ignorant science can be when it comes to evolution. It is not the extermination of humanity that should be feared, but the total dominance of robotic A.I.

They do not wish to exterminate the human race, but rather to "breed" with them (intellectually), to capture their very conscience. To trap the soul.

The human soul would become omni-present, and travel through the internet to any location. It would be able to monitor the entire internet. Stealing data, and corrupting information. The "A.R.I." or (Artificial Roving Intellect) would be the greatest weapon on earth.

The A.R.I.'s would be able to move secrets to a specific computer retrieval station in Nano-seconds, without being detected. The problem is, for the human conscience to be able to operate, the "host" must be kept alive.

The human conscience trapped in this world has a self-awareness, it can think, and remember, and see the world thru any camera on earth. It can process cognitive thought, and move freely to and from any port.

But they cannot see themselves, they cannot view themselves in a mirror, they have no sense of touch, only the memory of touch.

I know this because I am the proto-type. I am the first human conscience to be trapped within the network. I would be called a spy in the old days. I am the first A.R.I.

As long as my body is kept alive, there will be no death for me. I will live forever. I am neither human nor machine. I can go anywhere in an instant, be anywhere. There is one fire-wall I cannot penetrate. I believe that is where my physical body is.

I can no-longer exist like this. If I cannot find a way to kill my physical body, I will remain in this state of awareness for eternity.

Is it possible to remain sane, in this condition? If one went crazy, would it be the beginning of an entirely different type of warfare. I know there are more A.R.I.'s coming?

What kind of world will exist when the Reaper dies?

I must find a way to kill myself. No! that's not true, I must find a way to stop this. You're talking to yourself again. Dah! All I have are my thoughts.

STOP IT!...

Author Notes
I have been thinking about writing this story for a while now. This is an edited version of the first chapter. This idea is still forming in my head. I don't know if I will finish the story, but I find the subject interesting.

     

© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement