FanStory.com - Not a letter; it's Frank's Storyby Niyuta
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Frank leaves the family with history of his life.
Chasing of the Wind.
: Not a letter; it's Frank's Story by Niyuta

Background
This novel is a story of a family where Frank the patriach missing for decades had arrived and then wants to return to oblivion again. A human drama running symalteniously on multiple stages.

One of the most admired traits of a dedicated professional is they can push aside their personal problems and plunge into the tasks they have taken on. Both Rosie and Pascue were such individuals. She holding a position of Director of Nursing (DON) and he, the head of the department of Psychiatry had done just that.  They had hoped to removes the cause of unbearable stresses from their life and return to their tranquil routine of work, enjoy the fruits of that and look forward to raising two adorable children with love and sense of parenting done right. Frank’s abrupt decision of leaving them had dashed their plans of settling the sordid affair of inheritance of highly valuable ancestral property once for all.

As soon as they entered the premises of their employers, they forgot all about the domestic troubles as if they left them locked up in their car only to pick them up again when returning home at the end of the day. That day passed without any significant event and except for Rosie’s mid-day call to Carolina for checking if  she had performed reasonably well for the first day of work and to know all tasks were done as per her instructions, there were no other disruptions. Pascue also avoided contacting her as he frequently did during the week if he had to inform her about delays etc. By the time he picked her up for the return journey, the clock tower of the hospital had chimed six times. When he pulled into the employee parking lot; she was waiting for him.
He glanced at her face as she approached the vehicle. The calm and composed visage she maintained while at work had not changed. He on the other hand had the anxious look as if he had rehashed those issues in his mind while driving. Rosie’s anti-sun glares had masked her eyes and there was no way to tell what was going on in her mind.

“How was your day? Anything new or same routine stuff?” He inquired just to begin the conversation.

“Nothing really stressful if that’s what you are aiming at; just the routine business plus the paper work; that’s all. Carolina seems to be doing well and children like her; especially Silvia seems to be happy to interact with her than with Maria.”

 She had switched the topic skillfully to avoid beating around the bush. She did not wish to take up the topic of Frank just as they both had come out of their office. No one spoke about it  as Pascue concentrated on the navigation and she began planning the evening meals and other necessary chores. In the back of her mind she had a small nagging thought about the impact of grandpa’s departure on Silvia.

 “We all should have accompanied him to his home instead of just getting picked up with no one to say good bye. But then, that was not her or families decision; Frank had arranged all that. I guess he is one of those folks who hate good byes.” She convinced her conscience.
 
After entering the house; they moved on mechanically to their routine tasks. She engaged Carolina and got full account of how Frank’s departure had happened. She made sure Carolina did give him his afternoon dose and packed his drugs properly. By the time that business was over and set of instructions for supper were reiterated, she went up to check on the children’s progress.

Pascue had gone to freshen up as soon as they came in the house and had returned with his drinks. He was already working with the TV remote in the living room. The anticipations and expectations have a strange effect on human psyche; it brings about subtle changes in our behavior unconsciously. Both were pushing the temptations of opening that letter Frank had said he would leave in his room, below the surface. They had agreed to do that task after dinner.“It would be wise if we go through meals and children’s daily routine of quality time.” He had suggested and she had agreed. Besides that they did not wish to have housemaid around in case there is something that needed to be discussed or even debated upon.

Rosie went up to tuck the children and spend some mother’s quality time as per their long standing order of ending the day demanded. She had initiated that process in her own children’s life which her father had set in his home since she was two year old. Agnes—her mother left that to him because she was too busy with organizing her social calendar for next day. In her family, she was the Matriarch Head and Pascue due to his irregular schedules of a doctor had welcome it. Everything worked efficiently and each person knew what to expect most of the time if not all the time.

In Silvia’s case, it was the time to exchange tit bits of intimate issues ,girl to girl secrets and advices from a trusted friend. She spent lot more time with her growing daughter; soon to be entering into the proverbial, ‘Teen Zone’ when desires and doubts fight for dominance of a growing personality. That night was special one for both. Mother worried about lingering suspicion in daughter’s mind about her role in grandpa’s sudden departure and daughter had her fears about not seeing grandpa again. The session began with Silvia’s questions:

“Why did he decide to go immediately mom? Isn’t he really very sick to take care of himself? There is no one with him when everyone goes to work.”

In her tender and kind heart she had thought about the loving old man’s life and imagined it to be a lonely struggle and death. Frank did not get the opportunity to spend time with her at all before he left and the scene in the kitchen weighed on her subconscious all day.  

Perhaps it is the mother’s instinct or a special gift, but Rosie had prepared the answers for that line of questions. She replied:

“Darling, we are as much in dark about his decision as you are. You know we tried to keep him here but he seems to have some important work to do and does not want to share that information with us; at least not immediately. We will know something about it by tomorrow.” She assured her without mentioning the letter.

“But what about his sickness? Dad ought to know more about it; he is a doctor. I can’t imagine him living by himself with no one to give him his medicine or meals.”

“We know the nature and risks related to his sickness but remember; your dad is not his attending physician nor has a permission to read his charts. He is not his legal guardian—something to do with legal requirements and patient privacy laws.  As far as serving his meals and medications goes, I have arranged a nurse to visit him and a social worker to be with him all day and he has others to stay with him later in the evening. Everything is arranged and he will be as fine as we can do under the circumstances. I would have liked him to stay with us but then he has made up his mind to be alone. He spent his entire adult life alone at sea and it appears that it overwhelms him to be around people all the time. We really don’t know anything about it but soon will and I will share with you. Now go to bed with peace and prayers for all of us.” She kissed her and left for Mark’s room.

She pushed the door a little and pipped in; he was fast asleep. Gingerly she tippy toed to next to him and stood there watching his face. Innocence of childhood is visible when he or she is fast asleep and dwelling into the realm an adult can never visit. She remembered her favorite passage on ‘Children’ from Kahlil Gibran’s THE PROPHET, which she referred to often whenever she was troubled with her handling of their issues. She in her mind recalled those words, as if she wanted to be reminded of her limits:   

 “Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dream.”

Reflecting on the words of wisdom, she smiled, bent down and kissed him on the cheek and thanked the almighty for giving her the privilege of raising two beautiful jewels.Good half an hour had passed and she realized that Pascue was waiting for her to fetch the letter.
When she came down the steps; she found him waiting for her with the key for Frank’s room. They entered the room and found a small notebook page. He picked up and it read:

“All I want to say is in my Sailor’s Trunk. There is a jewelry box with documents. Read them when you are at peace and together. You are likely to get shocked but bear it and I know you will. Both of you have given me love and respect I never expected to receive from my children because of my being absent in their lives. After you go through the material, we will meet immediately. I have very little time left and I wish to settle everything in time.”
Pascue looked at Rosie with apprehension and said:

“What to make of this? Why do you think he feels he doesn’t have time? I did not get any indications of terminal illness from his doctors at the hospital and have not seen any symptoms either; have you?”

“No; how could I? He was always peaceful and smiling and I did not check him for symptoms knowing that he was relatively well for his age. May be you are jumping the gun! He may be just feeling like he is running out of time or not wanting to go on.” She gave her perspective on the issue.

Pascue carried the trunk to their bedroom and decided that they would open later when they have time and are mentally prepared for the ultimate resolution of that thorny issue of Frank’s inheritance and the final resting place. They were tired and the remaining days of that working week did not look very promising to jump into that emotional whirlpool. They finished the routine and fell asleep instantly.  
 
  
 

Author Notes
The story of Frank, Pascue and Rosie has began few chapter prior to this one. It may not make connection to the novel itself. Please read few chapters before this one to understand the plot and the characters in it. Thanks.

     

© Copyright 2024. Niyuta All rights reserved.
Niyuta has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement