FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 5 part 3by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie and Logan get closer.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 5 part 3 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.

Ending of Previous Post:

"Okay. I'll do the dishes when we're done. I want to leave," McKenzie glanced at her watch, "in about forty-five minutes. According to his wife, Mr. Whitmore leaves his house every Thursday at seven o'clock. I need to see where he goes."

"What excuse does he give his wife?"

"She says she asks, and he just walks out the door."

"That's strange." Logan set the potato salad and coleslaw on the table. "What'd you have for lunch?"

"You're nosey. I don't appreciate you prying into my life."

Silence continued through dinner.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 5 PART 3

About twenty minutes before seven o'clock, McKenzie and Logan went to her car. McKenzie shook her head. "Darn! I forgot to pick up the surveillance car." She released a deep breath. "I'll just take this." She unlocked it.

"Nobody would ever notice a purple Dodge Super Bee with a Hemi. There are plenty of them on the road."

She glared at him. "I get your point. The rental agency I use is closed. I messed up, okay? Just drop it."

"We can take my rental. Nobody will notice it." McKenzie's stare focused on Logan, as he added, "Just offering a solution. I'll let you drive."

"Okay." She relocked the door. "Drive. I'll give directions." She plopped in the passenger seat.

I see dinner didn't improve your attitude. This evening should be fun.

Logan followed McKenzie's instructions, but pulled off into a convenient store parking lot.

"What are you doing?" asked McKenzie.

"Getting snacks. We might be there a while, and you didn't eat much dinner."

"Why are you worried about my eating habits?" McKenzie paused and then continued, "I..."

"Lack of food can cause people to be grumpy," interrupted Logan. "I wouldn't want you any grumpier." He got out of the car.

When he returned with two sacks of food, McKenzie said, "I'm not grumpy."

"Could've fooled me. You're doing a good imitation. Hope you like what I got." He grinned. "I got a few donuts. If there are any leftovers, you can have them for breakfast."

"Ha Ha, you're just too funny."

"I thought so," he teased.

*****
At the Whitmore house, they watch Mr. Whitmore leave the house at exactly seven o'clock.

"It's strange. He's very precise," said McKenzie.

"I agree. Nobody is that exact. I wonder where he's going."

"We'll know soon enough. Follow him, but not close enough that he knows he's being followed."

"Will do, boss." Logan pulled from the curb and followed as they crossed the Mississippi River into East St. Louis.

About fifteen minutes later, Mr. Whitmore pulled into a gentlemen's club's parking lot.

"I never expected this." McKenzie stared at the building. "It looks like crap."

"Probably is. Most of them are."

"You've been to one?"

"Of course. I'd bet every American male has at least once." Logan grinned at McKenzie's wide eyes. "A group of us went to one while in college. We were curious."

"You went to college? I thought you went straight into Army."

"Nope, I have a degree in military history."

"Interesting." She glanced toward the building. "How are we going to know what he's doing in there?"

"I really don't want to, but I could go in and find out. Or I could just tell you what most men do in there."

"You don't want to go in?" Again, McKenzie's eyes widened.

"Why would I want to watch a middle-aged man get a lap dance from a well-used naked woman or two? He might even go into a private room and get the works."

"I figured all men liked viewing naked women."

"I'd rather sit here with you all night and eat junk food." He reached in the backseat and grabbed one of the sacks.

"I seriously doubt that."

"Honestly, I don't eat a lot of junk food. It's bad for you." He held up a bag of Fritos and a bag of Cheese Puffs. "Which one should we open?"

"Fritos, the Cheese Puffs will make a mess."

"I'm not surprised you'd know that." Logan chuckled. "What do we do while Whitmore's getting serviced?" He opened the bag and offered it to McKenzie.

She took a handful of Fritos and passed it back. "We sit and wait. He might go elsewhere when he's finished. We follow him until he's back home." She plopped one in her mouth.

After a long silence and eating, McKenzie asked, "Logan?" After he faced her, she continued, "I don't know why anybody would drug me." She faced the passenger door window as tears welled in her eyes.

Now I know what's bothering her. He touched her arm.

"Please don't."

He removed his hand. "I'm not hitting on you. I was trying to comfort you."

"I know." McKenzie wiped her tears before she turned around. "I..."

"You didn't want me to see you cry," interrupted Logan. "Why? You have every reason to be scared. It's not a sign of weakness."

"If one of your buddies cried, would you think he was weak?"

"I see your point, but..."

"Because I'm female, it's acceptable or expected," blurted McKenzie.

Logan set his jaw. I'm not the bad guy here.

"I work in a man's world."

"Mac, you're not one of my buddies. I hope we're friends. I just want to help. Will you let me?"

She nodded, and the tears fell freely.

Logan put his arms around her. I wonder when was the last time you felt comfortable enough to cry.

After she dried her tears, Logan asked, "Giving me your house key was your way of saying I'm scared, wasn't it?"

McKenzie chewed on her lower lip and nodded. "I've racked my brain all afternoon and I can't come up with anybody who would want to do this. Could I have simply been at the wrong place at the wrong time? Sort of stupid in a no stupid zone?"

"Could be. I don't know."

"But then what was that car doing at the abandoned building? Did they follow me? If they did, then they know where I live. They could've found my address in the phone book, like Simon did. Are we being watched right now? Are they just waiting for me to make a mistake?"

"Those are good questions, and I don't have the answers. My only suggestion is to be extra careful." Logan hesitated and then added, "I have your back."

She gulped. "I know."





Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for a photo of a Gentlemen's Club in East St. Louis. This post is a little under a 1000 words. I've made a lot of last minute changes. I hope I didn't make it worse.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement