FanStory.com - OMG I Wrote a Poetry Bookby Earl Corp
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A collection of my award winning poems
OMG I wrote a poetry book
: OMG I Wrote a Poetry Book by Earl Corp

Believe it or not, I'm not a poet. I do like to rhyme words, but I don't know a meter from an inch. I think counting syllables limits the creativity and doesn't give you enough to really develop a thought or topic.

I do make exceptions for Limericks, I LOVE Limericks. Can't write 'em, but love to read 'em. I think that is the true mark of a writer, you have to be a fan and like to read poetry.

I admit I don't like free verse poems and could/would never write one. I can't overcome that feeling that poetry should rhyme. I tend to gravitate towards stuff like Longfellow's Paul Revere's Ride or Dr. Seuss rather than Whitman or Sandburg.

When I look at other people's poetry I use four criteria to rate poetry--It rhymes, makes sense, is spiritual, and it invokes emotions within the reader. The last one is interchangeable with "touched me emotionally," "entertained me," or made me laugh. You don't have to hit all four criteria for five stars.

But to get five stars it has to make sense. To me that means the sentences go together and transition into the next one. If it doesn't rhyme I'm probably not going to award six stars, unless it really moves me. Limericks automatically get a sixer.

Some say my view of poetry is myopic, maybe so but it's my view. Art is in the eye of the beholder, and my eye looks for rhymes.

I guess I wanted to be a lyrics writer in another life. Shel Silverstein wrote A Boy Named Sue which was originally a funny poem. I love the rock ballads penned by Bob Seger, now that's poetry.

I'm not Silverstein by any stretch of the imagination, but when I write a poem it's a fun write for me. But I don't think I'll be packing up and heading to Nashville any time soon to start my career as a song writer.

I can tell the truth and make it rhyme, but I can't put a tune to it to save my life. I guess that's why I like Weird Al Yankovic and Cledus T. Judd's parodies so much. They let someone else figure out the tune then make up their own songs.

Without further ado....

Here we go oh boy,

I've penned poems to enjoy,

Notice that all the time,

Every poem will rhyme,

Please don't hate,

When you read and rate.


Recognized

Author Notes
Not all writing is created equal and mine doesn't compare to some of the poets here on Fanstory such as RoyOwen, JannyPan, Dolly's Poems, Robyn Corum, or BeasPeas. Now those are poets, I'm just a hack. The only reason I'm doing this is to get attention, I love positive attention.
So sit back and enjoy!!

     

© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement