FanStory.com - The Final Battleby Roxanna Andrews
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Joshua does battle with Lucas for the last time.
GULBRANDR- God's Sword
: The Final Battle by Roxanna Andrews

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
Joshua regretted his hasty decision to not allow his uncles to do battle. They were warriors and proud men. They would not live well with his order for them to stay behind. He knew as a leader, he had to make hard choices and put men in danger. That was the way of war. Had he grown as a man and a leader if he could not do that? He knew his men, and especially his uncles, would not shy away from death. Fighting for one's family and way of life was an honorable way to die.

Joshua pulled his mind back to the present and turned his attention to the behemoth who flew towards him. He flew high above the woods, and fire shoot from his mouth, setting the trees ablaze. Those in the woods ran for their lives. The horses panicked and galloped towards the mountains.

Joshua's heart fell as he knew Lyse was in the woods. He could only hope his uncles would keep her safe. His worry was unfounded as the heavy snow on the trees kept the fire at bay and it was soon out. The cold and wet extinguishing it quickly.

The behemoth then turned his attention toward Joshua and especially to Dyster. The one that had been cast out by his mate. His odd blue son with the bright green underbelly. How had he come to have such an offspring? He circled Dyster as if sizing him up. Dyster showed no fear and turned to keep his eyes on his father, he made noises as if growling, and Joshua restrained him.

As the dragon circled, Joshua saw Lucas sitting on its back. He was amazed that a man could live with such grievous wounds. How had he managed to get on the back of such a beast? It was as if he had ten lives. Joshua regretted not taking his head as well as his hand.

Lucas lifted his head and defiantly looked into Joshua's eyes as if to say, You cannot kill me.

Joshua stared back with a look of determination. He would end this man, one way or another, this night. His attention was drawn away form Lucas as dragons appeared in the sky, flying toward him.

His heart felt as if it had turned over in his chest, until he realized they were his allies. The dragons lined up on either side of him, thirty strong and would fight despite his orders to stay hidden. His uncles looked to him and he nodded, knowing he could not deny them. This was how it should be.

Lyse was beside him and Joshua shook his head at her. "You are the most stubborn female," he told her.

"Yes, I am, and you will do well to remember that," she answered.

The enemy dragon seemed to hover as if unsure of what to do. Only then did Joshua see the true size of the beast. It was half again as large as Dyster. Joshua felt fear for the first time. How could he possibly hope to best this monster? Dyster would be no match for him, nor would the other dragons. Would his family and he, himself, lose his life this day? In his exhausted state he began to doubt his abilities.

Perhaps he was not the one to lead this army. Had he done well? Should he have made different choices. If he had been wiser, would his grandfather be alive now?

He heard a voice speak in his mind, Do not be afraid. He knew the voice, it was the same as had come to him in his vision. Joshua's resolve and courage returned. Though fear lingered, he felt confident again.

In the distance another black dragon appeared, Mot-Voldmor, the enemy soldiers had called her. Joshua had to hold Dyster back as he got the scent of his mother and made to go after her.

Mot-Voldmor flew back and forth beneath them. With no prompting, Riddare jumped on her back. He quickly climbed up her neck to the head, digging in with teeth and claws. Knowing the eyes were the most vulnerable, he went for them with a ferocious vigor. The dragon flung her head back and forth, trying to throw the huge cat from her.

Riddare managed to claw out an eye and the dragon flew to the ground and rolled, trying to dislodge the cat. Riddare leaped to the ground and the dragon shot her flame hitting him in his side. He rolled in the snow to put out the fire. Badly wounded he was unable to continue the fight. Disappearing into the undergrowth he hid and licked his wound.

The huge female dragon lay with her head resting in the snow. She lifted it after a time and shook it, as if to clear the fog from her brain. She looked up at her mate hovering above her. She screamed and he landed beside her and licked her wounds. He let out a tremendous roar and took to the skies. He spied Riddare in the undergrowth and aimed his flame at him. Riddaer ran toward the woods, just escaping another blast of flame. The dragon again set the trees ablaze, but the flames were quickly extinguished, the wet wood refusing to light.

Dyster watched as Riddare ran for his life. He was enraged that his companion was being attacked. He threw back his head loading the pockets in his throat with the needed chemicals and brought it forward, shooting a flame, small but blazing hot. It was the first time he had used his flame, and it took the riders by surprise. Joshua looked to Lyse.

She smiled. "Why are we surprised he can do this? Both his parents breathe fire, of course he has the flame as well. Why did we not think of it before?"

Dyster continued to expel smoke and flame until his flame shot as far as his father's and beyond. It was blazing hot and he was sure with his aim. As his father approached, he shot it full in his face. The beast screamed and turned aside. Lucas' hair was set on fire and he slapped it out with his hand.

The warriors quickly moved their dragons in, swarming the black dragon and tearing into his scaly hide with long, sharp talons, drawing blood from his head down to his tail. The Nubian warriors thrust in their spears. The beast tried to shake them off, but they held fast.

Lucas screamed, and cursed the dragons as the frenzy went on around him. A dragon caught a talon in Lucas' coat and dragged him off the beast's back. Lucas hung in midair. Terrified, he wrapped his good arm around the dragon's leg so as not to fall.

Joshua brought Dyster up under him and Lucas fell onto the dragon. He drew his sword.

"I should have killed you long ago, when you were a child. I would spy on Wahaland and see you sparring with your cousins and uncles. I knew one day I would see you again," Lucas said with venom in his voice.

Author Notes
Heres the next chapter, such as it is. =} Thank you to those who have stuck with it.

Joshua-Meaning 'Salvation, To Save'-The Chosen One
Drake & Eric- Joshua's Uncles
Goran-Drake, Eric & Nyla's father, Joshua's Grandfather
Augdon-Trained Joshua as a warrior. Lyse's father
Jarle-Augdon and Cedric's father. Captured by the horde a year before.
Cedric-Augdons brother, Lyse's uncle. Captain of the horsemen
Lyse-Meaning 'Light'-Joshua's wife
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Lucas-Leader of the Horde
Lydia-Lucas' wife
Hamish-Wahaland Spiritual leader and trouble maker, also Lucas' brother.
Dyster- Meaning 'Blue'- Huge blue dragon reserved for Joshua.
Riddare- Meaning 'Companion'-Mountain cat, Dyster's companion.
Ond-Natt- Meaning 'Evil Night'-Huge black dragon, Dyster's brother, Lucas's secert weapon.
Mot-Voldsom-Meaning 'Fierce Mother'-Dyster's mother, huge black dragon

     

© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement