FanStory.com - Something Slinkingby Liz O'Neill
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
There is something in the mist
Be Wee With Bea Part2
: Something Slinking by Liz O'Neill

Background
We are now beginning Be Wee With Bea Part 2. We begin immediately with a new mystery for Bea and us which will carry us for quite a few chapters.

Bea woke early, and quietly did her stepstooling exercises, not dropping a drip of honey or certainly no crashing of clay pots, empty or full. The last thing she wanted to do was to wake Scruffles or Sweet Puppy.

Neither of them had been able to sleep well the night before with the terrifying thunder and lightning storms. Scruffles had remained at his usual storm station, the cave opening. And Bea and Sweet Puppy assumed their well-learned defense position, huddled together, cowering in the furthest corner in the furthest room of their cave home.

Just as they had believed things were clear, a new storm bullied its way in. And more. And another louder crash. And finally just as in fireworks, a deafening sizzle bang. It seemed endless until they could finally trust the silence.

Scruffles was not at all disturbed by the storms. But he worried about his shivering, shuddering, shattered friends. He seemed to believe that by sitting doing the on guard exercise, he was helping to keep them safe.
Maybe he thought if a spear of lightning headed their way he could reach up and knock it out of the air the way he could strike a rubber ball pushed by the wind rolling toward him. He was very good at his game of knocking a bright orange maple leaf out of the air as it fell from a tree.

Bea, herself felt quite ragged. By the time this worn out wee bear, got onto the designated path for her strolling exercise, the sun was rising and warming the land. If the temperatures are just right, there is something which predictably appears in the beginning and end of the day. They are actually clouds hanging out just above the grasses, hills, cliffs, mountains, waters, and trees. And this is where our first adventure begins.

What a very eerie sight. Strange silhouettes played off the glare in the mist. Once more her strolling exercise must halt. Bea knew she needed to do her notice and investigation exercises. The sun had begun to find its way over the treetops, through the leaves and fir bows. Because it was so hazy and quite a distance away, Bea could not make out what it was that she was looking at. It seemed to be moving all in one unit.

She was only able to watch it from a poor angle. Whatever she was seeing was distorted by the fog. The front part of this creature seemed to reach the tops of some trees. The last part of it was closer to the ground. It had one fluffy head and had a hippity-skip rhythm as it moved along across the panorama.

How fast this eleven legged mass was moving was unclear. By using the background of brush as a gage, she could tell it was indeed on the move. She had no idea what it was and it made her fear grow very fast.
That was enough strolling exercise for Bea for this part of the day. She would have to do her brain exercise without an opportunity for doing any investigation exercises.

As she strolled slowly and pensively toward home, she did her brain exercise. She'd never seen anything
like that. Was it just a distortion caused by the rising sun's rays wavering through the fuzzy fog?
But it was moving. Would the mist mysteriously move like that? What kind of blurred creature was that slinking slowly into her unbelieving sights with its eleven legs and a hippity-hip at its tail end.

She noticed that it didn't really have a tail. It had the tiniest bit of a ball stuck where a tail should be. It reminded her of the ball Scruffles had found. But she didn't think it was the same thing. By then, the creature had faded into the mist and was gone. She did know that she was not going to go near nor mention that thing until she did more brain exercises.

Author Notes
Thank you to Galia G for the perfect fog scene....I hope you enjoyed Be Wee With Bea Part 1. We are now beginning Be Wee With Bea Part 2. You will soon meet Dooley and her brood, Benny, Zoe, Annie, and Maddie. There will be new adventures with lessons for us and Bea to discover. If you do the brain exercise as Bea suggests, you will be able to wisely choose which new exercises you would like to begin to practice. Bea hopes you have already begun many of the old ones.

     

© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement