FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 2 part 3by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan takes McKenzie to her townhouse.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 2 part 3 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anybody wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.

Ending of Previous Post:

Logan handed her the car keys. "Hold these." He put his arms under her. "I carried you in, I'll carry you out."

"How'd you get my keys?"

"You couldn't drive, so I helped myself. You have a nice ride by the way. Matter-of-fact, I'm driving you home. You're in no shape to drive."

"I don't like the idea of you taking over my life."

He set her in the parking lot. "Last night I rescued your butt from probably being raped or worse. Now, I'm keeping you safe until the drug wears off. If you don't want my help, I'll leave." He started to walk away.

McKenzie took a step and stumbled a little. "Logan, please stay." She held up the car keys. "I guess I've been ungrateful. Will you accept my apology?"

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 2 PART 3

After parking at McKenzie's townhouse, Logan went around the car and opened her door. "You're going to have to go first. Goliath hates me."

"Who's Goliath?" McKenzie frowned. "Oh, you mean Edger. He's a pussy cat."

"Maybe to you, but he hates me. He told me that last night. Ready?" After she nodded, he carried her up the stairs. "The yapper's at it again."

"I'm sure they both want out and probably a walk. I run every day with Edger."

"I can help let them out, but there's no way I'm running with that dog. Are you sure he's a dog?" Logan still held her. "Can you get the door unlocked?"

"You're really worried about this, aren't you?"

"You didn't see the glare he gave me."

"Set me down. I'd better go first." McKenzie unlocked the door and opened it. She steadied herself with the doorknob, but one hand remained on Logan's arm.

At the door, stood Arlo and Edger. Arlo wagged his tail and jumped up against McKenzie's legs. Edger wagged his stubby tail, rubbed his head against McKenzie's hand, but kept a watchful eye on Logan.

"I told you he hates me." Logan was careful to stay away from the dog and close to the door. "Is he a rottweiler?"

McKenzie knelt and rubbed the sides of his large head as she hugged him. "He is and a big baby, but he tends to be suspicious of strangers." She struggled trying to stand as she glanced toward the stairs. "I need to shower. Are you going to wait around?"

He offered his hand. "Let me help." Once she stood, he continued, "As long as Goliath will allow me, I won't leave until I'm sure you're back to normal." Logan watched as she crept toward the stairs. "Can you make it up?"

"We'll see." She took a step. "If I go slowly, I should be all right."

Logan nodded. "I'll wait down here. Take him with you."

"He usually follows me everywhere. They both do." McKenzie hesitated. "I forgot. They need out." After she completed that task, she attempted the first step and then looked back at Logan. "I might be awhile. So don't worry."

"Why would I worry?"

"You look like the worrying type."

I meet this broad, Logan did the math in his head, seventeen hours ago. I've ready rescued her and then played nurse-mate so nothing else happens. Why would I worry? He searched through the refrigerator and kitchen cabinets. She must not be much of a cook. I need breakfast. He yelled up the stairs. "I'm going out for groceries." He shook his head. "I'd better let Goliath in. Who knows what trouble she'll get into while I'm gone?"

Edger studied him a few moments and then he followed Arlo up the staircase.

*****
Hours later when McKenzie entered the kitchen, Logan smiled. "You clean up nice. Your eyes tell me you're feeling a little better."

"I soaked in the tub for a while." Her cheeks tinged pink. "I think I fell asleep." She scanned the kitchen. "It looks like you've been busy."

"I was hungry and didn't see much in the way of food so I went to the store. I hope you like omelets and coffee."

"I do." McKenzie sat on the kitchen stool. "They smell great. Thank you."

Logan took a few bites. "Any idea who did this or why? Could it be case related?"

"I don't think so. I'm working a few cheating spouse cases, checking out a witness for the District Attorney, and then your sister's murder. Things are slow right now."

"Question, why do you have your office out of your house?"

McKenzie avoided his eyes as she sipped black coffee. "Dad's office was right downtown, only three blocks from the stadium. Mom helped part-time with the paperwork. As they were closing after dark, June 12th, 2018, they were both murdered. I was doing surveillance on a cheating husband or I probably would've been killed too. Anyway, I closed down that office. Every time I walked inside, it brought back too many memories."

"Did they catch their murderer?"

McKenzie nodded. "Yes, John Benson was arrested but died in prison before the trial, actually only a few days ago. He and his family claimed his innocence."

"What was his motive?"

"He worked for a large contracting company. Dad worked with the police and found evidence he embezzled from the company. He also laundered drug money for the 49 BAD Bloods street gang. They transport drugs from Phoenix to St. Louis. Dad was going to be a witness at his trial." McKenzie set her fork on her plate and drank the last of her coffee. "I don't know that much about it. Dad tried to keep me away from that part of our business. I really need to get busy. I can't sit here and talk all day."

"Do you mind if I hang around? I'm still not sure you're a hundred percent."

"You're using that as an excuse to be a pain-in-the-butt, aren't you?"

Logan grinned.







Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images of a Rottweiler . This post is just under 900 words. Spring break is over and I never found the time to work on the book summary. It takes me forever to finish a novel so I have plenty of time. I'm sure something will come to me. It has been brought to me attention that I have my characters looking often, I have been working on that and still don't have it under control. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you for the encouragement.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement