FanStory.com - Olympia, Washington, Territoryby Mr. Green
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The train has arrived. A suprise is waitig for Levi
The Convict Train
: Olympia, Washington, Territory by Mr. Green

Background
The train has arrived in Olympia, and the prison guards will transfer what they need to another train that will continue on, to the Seatco Prison.

A long line of smoke billowed into the air, rolling and spinning along the spine of the train as it rumbled down the iron rails, making its way through the Cascade mountains. The gray of the early morning hours had long disappeared, and Levi was looking through a small window. He was taking in as much of the Cascade rainforest as he could, before the train moved on to something new.

It began rounding a wide curve, and Levi moved closer to the window. It was puzzling how the eastern part of the territory had so much desert landscape, and yet, as if a magical line had been drawn across the land, he was now looking at the spikes of tall fir trees, lush green shrubs, and a rainbow of flowers in a far off meadow. He glanced upward at the caps of rugged mountains, covered in a blanket of snow. At the highest peaks there were places where the snow clung to the mountain cliffs like veins of pure white gold.

Badger made his way down the small isle between the seats and sat down behind Levi. "Beautiful country ain't it son." Levi smiled. He slid away from the window and looked at his old friend, "It's easy to understand why you love the mountains so much. "

"Look..., there!" The old trapper pointed out the window at the rocky cliffs in the distance. "Mountain goats." Badger said. Levi stared in amazement, as three of them effortlessly moved across the sheer cliff. The old man laughed quietly, "Them critters can stand on the end of a needle and not one of them would fall off."


Levi's attention left the window as he asked, "Have you spent much time in these mountains, Badger?"

Casper Hayes was sitting near-by when he heard the question. He looked at Badger, their eyes met in silence as Casper waited. He wanted to hear how Badger would answer the question. What had brought Badger into these mountains so long ago were events the old trapper had buried deep inside. Casper Hayes rode with Badger during those violent days and he was the only other man on the train who understood that dark time in Badger's life.

"Well son, I come into these mountains many years back to hunt, I did just that, and when I thought my hunting days were done, it was time for me to move on."

Badger glanced out the window again. "If you stay long enough you'll find all kinds of predators trying to live out their lives, in this forest. I've seen wolfs, bobcats, cougars, and grizzlies."

Then he looked out the window and pointed to the clear blue sky. " Have you ever seen two Eagles battle it out up there? Fighting over a newly caught salmon." Badger smiled a reflective smile, "What a sight that is. You'll never see a more beautiful dance. But you'll also find a lot of beauty in the mountains, the meadows, the lakes, rivers, and streams. Once you enter this forest, you become part of the food chain, don't ever forget that son, but it's a beautiful land.

Casper caught Badger's glance, there was an understanding between them. It was a respect born out of surviving tough times. Badger had been hunting alright, but only Casper knew, it was a two legged predator he was hunting, all those years ago.

Those days were done now, they were to be left in the past. Casper Hayes would ride into hell for Badger, and he would keep those days buried deep in the shadows. It would do no good to speak of them now.

"Levi!" Warden Justice called from the back of the train car. "Another hour and we will be coming into Olympia."

The conductor pulled the line twice, and the train whistled loudly as it approached the depot. It was mid-afternoon and there was a lot of work to get done for the guards from the prison. They would transfer the horses, and equipment to the other train. Then the guards would have to walk the entire length of that train, checking each train car. Making sure that all was secure before it left Olympia for the small town of Seatco.

Badger had been through the area before, he knew the name Seatco was an Indian name meaning Ghost Place, or Devil. It was an odd name, it gave a person pause to wonder why it was chosen to build the first Territorial Prison, but the prison sat just outside the town, and the citizens of this community made their living from the forest in which it set.

Governor Semple was waiting inside the train depot when it arrived. He sent word to Superintendent Paine that he would like to see him and the Warden, to discuss the next leg in their journey. Superintendent Paine thanked the messenger and then he asked Levi, Badger, and Casper Hayes, to join them in the conversation.

"The guards will handle the transferring of our stock, and equipment. I would like to introduce you to the Governor while we have the time."

"Do you have everything you need Mr. Paine?" Governor Semple asked.

"I believe we do Governor." Paine replied.

"Good! I understand you will be staying in Seatco tonight."

"Yes sir! We won't get there until sometime this evening. The prisoners will be loaded onto the train tomorrow morning, and we will be heading back to Walla Walla as soon as we can."

"Send me word, when you get back to the prison. Within twenty four hours of your return I would like a report sent to me, informing me of how many prisoners were transferred and your assessment of their condition."

Badger was restless. He had met the governor, but he had no interest in the conversation taking place with all those important men. He had a pressing matter that needed his attention.

"Governor, I'm glad to have met you, but would you mind if I go check on Sallie May?"

The look of curiosity on Governor Semple's face brought out a quiet laugh between Levi, and Casper Hayes. Getting the governor's attention, Levi said, "Governor, he wants to check on his horse. Her name is Sallie May. The governor looked at Levi and a smile crossed his face.

"Of course Badger, you go check on your horse. I won't keep your friends much longer."

Badger thought he had been patient with these important business men long enough. Keeping his manners in-tact, proved to be a challenge when it came to what was really important to him, at that particular moment. With a smile of satisfaction, he looked at Levi and rubbed his hands together, as if he were standing over a warm fire.

"By Gum, the ole girl is probably scared to death." Badger said, as the old trapper spun on his heels.

Sheriff Cooley walked into the depot about then. "Governor!" Cooley spoke up as he approached the small group of men standing near-by. "My deputy told me you were here at the depot. Is this the train you were telling me about in your letter?"

"Sheriff Cooley, Yes it is. This is the train that will be transferring the convicts from Seatco Prison to Walla Walla." Cooley looked at the other men. "Well, you certainly have your work cut out for you. I'll say that much."

Semple took a step back and began to introduce the other men. "Chas, this is Superintendent Frank Paine, and Warden Justice. I just met these other men."

Casper took a step forward, extending his hand, "Casper Hayes." he said. Levi waited his turn, then he stepped forward. "Levi Sawyer. I'm the sheriff over in Walla Walla. were here at the request of the Superintendent and Warden Justice."

Cooley held Levi's hand a moment longer. "You say your last name is Sawyer?"

"Yes! Why?"

Cooley stepped back and looked at Levi, "I recently met your brothers."

Levi looked curiously at the Sheriff. "What do you mean ?"

"John Barnabus and Kyle, right?"

"Are you telling me they're here, in Olympia?"

"Well no. Not now. They left this morning. They're looking for an outlaw who has been seen in this area recently."

"Are they coming back?"

"Yes, but I couldn't tell you when. They rode out to the Blackburn Ranch, a few miles southeast of here. They're looking for a kid named Samuel Blackburn. He grew up on that ranch, until he started down the owl-hoot trail. He began robbing trains, then he disappeared.

The family disowned him a long time ago, but I've been told he's back, and word is, he's riding with some dangerous men."

Levi was hopeful knowing that his brothers were close by.

"Sheriff when they return, would you tell them that I will be going back to Walla Walla in a couple of days and they better find their way over to visit us. "

Sheriff Cooley acknowledged Levi's request. then he looked at Superintendent Paine. "You be careful out there. Knowing there are train robbers riding through this area makes me real uncomfortable.

"We'll have nothing on this train except for the convicts, sheriff. There's nothing for them to steal."

"All the same, You be careful." Cooley said, then he bid his fair-wells and left the depot.

Casper walked over to the window to check on the train, when he saw Badger walking in his direction. Upon seeing each other, Badger raised his arm, indicating it was time to leave. " looks like Badger is calling us back" Casper said as he stepped over to the door and waited for Levi.

"Why would your brothers be looking for this Samuel Blackburn, Levi ?" Levi stopped for a moment to ponder the question.

"I don't know, Casper."

Author Notes
This book has been professionally edited. Writing chapters on FanStory allowed me to get valuable feedback in order to work out the details. So what is read here may not be exactly the same as what ended up in the book. This book was published on Oct. 4th, 2020.

     

© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement