FanStory.com - Behind the Badgeby Y. M. Roger
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Things are definitely not always what they seem...
Behind the Badge by Y. M. Roger
Size Matters! contest entry

“You change your workout routine or something, Bash?”  Gwendolyn Travers eyed her partner of nearly five years now as he downed his third Mega Burrito from their favorite Mexican food truck.
 
There was a slight pause as he both swallowed that bite and frowned at her.
 
“Why Neo? Is there a problem?”
 
She had ceased to be Gwen the day she was assigned to him. He’d worked countless years without a partner and was not at all on board with the Lieutenant’s assigning him one – especially not a female. But times were what they were, and it was either that or move on. And since he was actually enjoying this particular career choice, a partner it was. Didn’t mean Detective Thomas Bashari had to like it.
 
“You’re just awfully hungry these past few weeks. Surprised they” She nodded toward the little bakery they’d had staked out for the last few days – “haven’t made us with all your food trips.”
 
Bash’s only response was to glare daggers at Gwen. Damn female was a busy-body from the word go. He’d molded her into a pretty good partner, though. She was a tough Japanese-American with a quick wit and tongue to match. And she could physically hold her own, which had helped when they’d been in a few tough spots as a team.
 
Not that he would ever have trouble getting out of any spot, tough or not.
 
The silence lingered in the cramped car just long enough for Bash to swallow and motion for Gwen to look at the bakery.
 
“Customer.”
 
A lithe, rather tall, young woman clad in deep blue tights and matching jacket stopped outside the small shop door. She took a moment to lower the matching hood she wore, revealing some unnaturally bright red hair. In fact, that hair seemed to be laced with the same blue in her outfit. Her next movement, to part the front of her jacket to reveal some gorgeous cleavage, had his pants tightening.
 
Thank the gods Gwen was focused on the blue woman and did not notice his discomfort. He so did not need this right now, of all times. Just no. He rubbed his chest and took a shallow, soothing breath.
 
Eyes fixed on the woman now turning to enter the bakery, Gwen spoke toward the window.
 
“How do you want to play this?” She was definitely in ‘get the perp’ mode.
 
Bash tried to reposition himself in the seat for comfort and took a big swallow of his soda.
 
“You go in the front, see what‘s up.” He crumpled the burrito papers, swiped his mouth once for good measure, and pushed them through the cage and onto the back floor. “I’ll cover the back.”
 
He reached for the Bluetooth device in his ear and pressed ‘signal’.
 
“Shit!” Gwen’s hand immediately covered her ear with the mated device. “I hate it when you do that! It’s working, already!”
 
Bash chuckled, the sound almost sinister, as they both exited the old sedan, Gwen taking time to adjust her clothing and run a hand through her short bob. Bash did not, although, as always, he and his clothes looked perfect.
 
Traffic would have run over Gwendolyn Travers had she tried to cross the busy street alone. In fact, it’s pretty safe to say that most drivers would have missed her not quite five feet until it was too late. However, Bash’s extremely well-built, six-and-a-half foot frame easily intimidated most cars, not to mention their drivers.
 
Walking in the front door, she saw both the blue woman standing at the order counter and the cashier turn to face her.  Gwen nodded in a casual manner and wandered over to the wedding cake display, appearing to browse.
 
The blue woman paused in her musings with the cashier and sniffed the air – specifically, the air in Gwen’s direction. Blue woman halted her conversation and walked to stand right behind Gwen. Once again, the woman inhaled the air around the much smaller Gwen.
 
Gwen spun around to face her. The young detective that had never been daunted by any of the males or females in the police department or elsewhere, suddenly felt the need to cower under that deep emerald gaze.  She did not allow herself to do so, but it was a major struggle. The blue woman took another deep breath, narrowed a threatening stare at Gwen, and started to speak.
 
“Where is th-”
 
Two handsome men appeared from the back store room to confront the blue woman who placed herself between them and Gwen. They carried with them, for lack of a better term, a very dark aura.
 
Wondering why in the hell Bash hadn’t given her a heads up on the two guys’ entrance, Gwen slowly moved to the other side of the display to get a better view of the three-way conversation. They all began speaking a Slavic-sounding language that Gwen couldn’t quite place.
 
Thanks for the heads-up about more people, Neo.
 
That was Bash in her earpiece. But, shouldn’t he have known…?
 
Seems they’re discussing some missing package. Deep voice says the red witch has it.
 
Bash translating in her ear again – they had yet to encounter a language the man did not know. And ‘deep voice’ was the taller of the two intimidating fellows. The other guy just seemed to be along for the ride as he did not contribute much except agreement with the tall one now and again.
 
But blue woman did not seem to be intimidated in the least. If anything, Gwen would say she practically glowed with confidence which, of course, made no sense, but that’s exactly how it appeared. Then, blue woman held up a small bag with the bakery name on it and happily offered it to the taller gentleman. Happily was a relative term – the woman’s smile looked more like it promised the tortures of Hell, but who was Gwen to judge.
 
The proffered bag of goodies did not make ‘deep voice’ happy in the least.
 
Well, now he’s threatening to cut her into bits and feed her to the hell hounds…what is going on in th-
 
Before Bash finished his question, Gwen saw ‘deep voice’ lunge at the blue lady and the cashier run out the back – the same way these two had entered – almost simultaneously. Her reaction was to holler to Bash that he had company coming out the rear and then attempt to intercept the huge dagger that ‘deep voice’ had drawn on blue woman.
 
And that was the last thing she remembered before her world went dark.
 
On his end, Bash didn’t wait for the ‘company’ to arrive before kicking in the back door, gun drawn. The high-pitched whine and ensuing screech that filled his Bluetooth were all the motivation he needed to proceed without caution. Not passing anyone on his way through the tiny work/kitchen area, he entered the bakery shop that was now nothing like he remembered it from their look in the windows this morning.  
 
The wedding display table was splintered, and all of its contents were distributed everywhere – against the walls, on shelves, and all over the floor.  Other tables and decorations and such had to be part of the mess because there was far too much debris for just one table.
 
Then, there were the bodies. One unknown male’s entire torso was inside the large display case near the register – legs sprawled at unnatural angles on the floor in front of the case. Another male lay flat on the floor – the weight of his body having broken one of the small customer tables such that the top was underneath him. There, blue woman’s inviting backside was displayed in quite the delectable fashion for Bash as she was bent over and withdrawing a large, jeweled dagger that protruded from the body’s torso.
 
Bash shook his head to clear the lust that began warming his being again.
 
“Freeze!”
 
Gun pointed at blue woman’s back, Bash took a step toward her – one eye on the dagger and one looking for Gwen. Blue woman turned in a slow circle to face him – knife held in a straight arm away from her body.
 
“Drop the knife!”
 
She didn’t move, but she didn’t drop the dagger either. With her head only, she indicated a pile of debris onto which some curtains had fallen.
 
“Your pet is there.”
 
Her eyes were so green they practically burned through Bash’s when their gazes met. He rubbed his chest and purposefully slowed his breathing. Glancing over at the pile, he noticed Gwen’s running shoe sticking out. Listening intently, he could hear Gwen’s strong heartbeat – she would live.
 
He then focused his full attention on blue woman.
 
“I said. Drop. The knife!”
 
Blue woman sniffed the air again and smiled. Her entire body relaxed, her stance becoming more casual as she leaned over to place the dagger on the one remaining table.  She then held both hands behind her head, once again displaying those milky-white invitations below her graceful neck.
 
“It’s mine.” She smiled without much emotion to back it up, her eyes indicating the dagger.
 
Keeping the gun trained on blue woman, Bash stepped over, took a handkerchief out of his pocket, and lifted the dagger to slide it across the floor behind him.
 
“It’s evidence,” Bash retorted, holstering his sidearm and stepping to handcuff blue woman.
 
She made no resistance as Bash methodically cuffed her and began reciting her rights to her. She might not have put up a struggle, but her scent and her body in this close proximity sure made something else struggle to be free – what the hell was wrong with his libido?
 
Blue woman chuckled and physically leaned her back against his front angling her head up toward him. She took another deep breath.
 
“You’re oooold.” Her voice sounded confident and seductive – his being reacted accordingly.
 
Bash pushed her away from him, needing the distance.
 
“You have no idea, sweetheart.” Annoyed at himself for being distracted, he yanked the woman around and pushed her forcefully to sit in the chair.
 
Gwen began to stir, pushing the debris off slowly at first, but then she struggled in haste to stand. Bash stepped over to grab her arm and help steady her.
 
“Oh, but I do, dee-teck-tiiiiive.” Blue woman’s slow, deliberate pronunciation of his title gave Bash pause, and, although he still held onto Gwen, he took a harder look at the fire-haired female. ‘Your pet is there’ Those words…
 
His mental evaluation hadn’t gotten further than approximating her at about thirty or so years of age with a strong heartbeat when Gwen yanked her arm out of his grasp – it must have tightened during his distracted thoughts.
 
“Damn, Bash!” Gwen’s lovely disposition would be on full display for a while after having been knocked out. “You tryin’ to break my freakin’ arm?”
 
Bash centered his breathing and rubbed his chest as he tore his eyes away from blue woman. She chuckled again, but Bash ignored her as he stepped to examine the bodies.
 
“Call it in, Neo.” Bash felt around the body for a wallet or some form of identification. Finding none, he turned to Gwen. “You sure gave them a good fi-”
 
“I didn’t do jack-shit, Bash.” She pressed speed dial and waited. “I fu—yes, this is Detective Travers, badge number…” She walked away, speaking.
 
Bash stood and walked around to face the seated woman in blue. He didn’t stand too close, having just gotten his desire settled after their last close encounter. In fact, he didn’t say anything at all, only looked from one male body to the next and back to her, raising an eyebrow in question.
 
She held his gaze and Bash swore he saw a twinkle in one of those emerald gems.
 
“I told you.” A smile almost broached her lips, but she held it firm. “The dagger is mine.” They stared at each other a few more seconds until she finished. “Old maaaaannnn.”
 
She let herself grin then, if only in the slightest, and winked at him. For the first time in a very long time, Bash got a suspicious feeling deep inside. He rubbed his chest in reassurance and took a few shallow breaths as he stared down at this….female.
 
Gwen stepped back up right then.
 
“Am I interrupting something here?”
 
Blue woman responded, “Yes.” Although Bash simultaneously asked, “What happened here, Neo?” He ignored blue woman and motioned at the disaster that had been a small Slavic family bakery.
 
Gwen looked between them briefly and frowned, but she settled on Bash.
 
“Honestly? It’s hard to say. These two” Gwen motioned at the sprawled  bodies – “seemed to be threatening her” She pointed at the woman in blue who sat as if Gwen did not exist, her entire attention focused on Bash – “and when the big one pulled some fancy-ass knife, I st-“
 
Bash turned his attention toward the female again.
 
“Thought you said the knife was yours?”
 
She smirked, her glance momentarily thrust toward Gwen then back to Bash.
 
“It is.” She indicated the body of the larger one on the floor from which she had extracted it just moments ago, her intense gaze never leaving Bash’s. “He was returning it to me.”
 
Gwen’s face turned to one of complete skepticism.
 
For his part, Bash was still trying to place the female. He was sure he had never seen her before – he would definitely have remembered his reactions to her. He needed to stay away from female trouble or any trouble, for that matter. It had been far too long since he’d found a compatible romp before this latest run-in a few months ago, and he for sure wouldn’t be ready for another for a helluva long time, especially…well, he just breathed a few soothing breaths and let it go for now. He tried to focus on what Neo was saying.
 
 “Yeah that was not a friendly ‘here I picked this up for you’ tone, lady.” Gwen glanced up at Bash, shook her head, and stepped away to get a closer look at the bodies as she continued. “In fact, I’m wondering how in the hell he’s here” She stopped next to and pointed at the body on the floor – “and you’re stiii– holy shit, Bash, have you seen this guy?!”
 
Gwen’s voice seemed to snap Bash out of some sort of staring contest with the woman. The woman, for her part, was enjoying Bash’s fascination with her, and she smiled up at him in an almost demure manner. She leaned forward and took another deep breath, closing her eyes as if enjoying…something.
 
“Go ahead, detective,” she said under her breath, her eyes slowly opening to focus on him again, “your pet calls, and I’m certainly not going anywhere.”
 
Luckily, Gwen had heard none of that. She was squatting down beside the body as Bash stepped across the floor. He should have been surprised, but he wasn’t. The body looked to be in the advanced stages of decomposition – flesh and sinew pulled away from the bone leaving only the gaping maw of an emerging skull. There was no blood on the shirt where blue woman had extracted the knife. In fact, as Bash stared at the corpse lying at his feet, he felt a whole lot of really old memories come streaming forward again.
 
He glanced up at the female again as all those thoughts raced in through his head, and she nodded at him. Suddenly, the term ‘red witch’ used by the now-dead guy earlier took on a whole new meaning beyond its usual surface implication.
 
It was at that moment that two squad cars pulled up outside. Bash shook his head to clear it – saved by the black and whites.
 
“Let the uniforms and the wagon handle it, Neo.” Bash ordered, stepping away from the body. He didn’t want to even look at the state of the body hanging out of the bakery case, he could already see the pants and shoes had begun hanging on it in an odd manner. “Get the suspect in the ca–”
 
“But Bash,” Gwen insisted, “this was a damn good-looking guy when he walked in here. Felt evil as hell, but stil–”
 
The first two uniformed officers walked in the door.
 
“I said, they’ll handle it.” Bash motioned to the uniforms as he stepped toward where he’d slid the knife earlier. “You get her to th–”
 
Blue woman jumped to her feet and stated firmly in protest, “No!”  
 
Everyone froze, their attention drawn to her presence. She smiled, somewhere between an apology and an I-will-have-my-way grin that was mesmerizing to everyone except Bash, even though it was him on whom her attention was focused.
 
“I will only go with you.”
 
Her intense green stare met Bash’s across the room. Bash let the silence in the store linger for a few moments as he broke their stare and searched for the knife. He was the elder here, and he would not let her dictate terms, no matter how small they appeared. He took a few purposeful, soothing breaths and rubbed his chest as he scanned the floor area near him. No knife.
 
Then, he had a thought. He spun around and took in the blue woman again, now standing defiantly facing him. Sure enough, there, strapped securely in a sheath on her thigh, the very dagger for which he had been searching. The one he’d slid across the floor away from them.
 
With his gaze locked on hers and everyone else in the room watching them with intensity, Bash took two large strides toward her, putting their bodies front-to-front – her ample breasts brushing against him just below his ribcage area. Her scent seemed stronger than before, and his being reacted accordingly. But this time, he was very aware that her body reacted to his proximity as well. A satisfied, barely detectable growl rumbled from somewhere inside of him as he looked into those emerald eyes and bent his knees, his mouth coming dangerously close to her forehead. He felt the sharp intake of breath that she tried to suppress as he ran a searching hand along her thigh until he encountered the sheath. He then roughly yanked off the entire leather apparatus and step back from her.
 
“I told you, it was mine.” Her eyes narrowed at him and she smirked just in the slightest. “Old man.”
 
Defiant and intoxicating.
 
“Neo!” Bash’s stare remained in line with the blue woman’s.
 
Gwen, who’d stood speechless at the interaction before her, was nearly shocked by the sound of his voice. In fact, she might have even squeaked just before recovering and responding to an authoritative and menacing tone she’d never before heard her partner use. And the look on his face…
 
“Yeah, Bash. Is everythi–”
 
“Take her to the car.” Bash left no room for question or argument with his statement, but he saw the momentary flash of panic across those green gems currently locked on his face. He rubbed his chest to calm the response there, and his tone softened. “I will be right behind.”
 
He pulled the dagger from the sheath and examined it before re-sheathing and stuffing it inside his shirt. He stepped over to the four uniformed officers. They had begun to mark up the scene before his harsh order to Neo, but now they all stood just looking at him with something akin to fear etched on their faces. Bash sighed and made himself dial it back. His entire demeanor relaxed into the Detective Bashari that everyone knew and only sometimes feared. Delivering his instructions for scene processing, he stepped out the door and took a slow, intense look at the surroundings before jogging toward their car where Gwen was just shutting the back door.
 
He rubbed his chest once again as he opened the car door and tossed an evidence bag containing a plain, bare dagger onto Gwen’s lap. Gwen only opened one eye to look at it and quickly returned her head to leaning back against the headrest, eyes closed.
 
Bash started the car and began speaking as he pulled them out into traffic.
 
“We need to pass by Charlie’s on the way to the sta–”
 
Gwen’s head immediately came to full attention and shot-gunned in his direction.
 
“You have got to be freakin’ kidding me now! You cannot already be hu–”
 
The face that had accompanied his uncharacteristic voice just moments ago in the shop returned, only this time it was focused on her. In what could only be described as an instinctive retreat, Gwen bit off the remainder of her complaint and focused her attention out the window as Bash navigated the rising traffic.
 
“Fine. But I’m thinking we should get you tested for a tape worm cuz something else is obviously sucking up your food.”
 
Bash just grunted in response and glanced in the rearview mirror at the beautiful red witch who took a deep inhale and winked at him.
 
‘You’re oooold’ Forcing his eyes back to the road, he began a mental re-evaluation of his initial thirty-year-old estimate.
 
********
 
They arrived at the station just as Bash finished his burger and fries. He pulled up to the no parking zone near the front steps.
 
“You run in and start all the paperwork.” He took a quick look at their collar in the back seat who had just startled awake when he’d shifted the car into ‘park’. “I’ll park and get her to holding.”
 
Gwen looked askance at him, eyes drifting momentarily to the blue woman but then re-focusing on him.
 
“Since when do I get front door, red carpet treatment?”
 
A small, feminine snort from the back seat drew both their attentions.
 
Both Bash and Gwen looked to find the woman fixing her hair using the rearview mirror as her looking glass. She paused momentarily, although her smiling gaze didn’t leave her own reflection.
 
“Don’t you always get fr–”
 
“No!” responded Bash and Gwen simultaneously, though each one’s outburst obviously surprised the other.
 
Immediately, Gwen followed that up with, “Hey! How the hell did you get out of the cuffs?”
 
Bash’s cold, harsh stare returned as he turned his head in slow motion toward the female, an intense, questioning eyebrow being raised in the process. Blue woman froze, lowered her arms, sat back in the seat, and shrugged in a nonchalant manner – her focus again solely on Bash.
 
“My latest boyfriend liked putting them on me.”
 
Gwen’s focus pin-balled between the two of them as she opened the door and stepped out. “Whatever.” Looking back inside, she asked her partner, “You got this?”
 
She knew Bash could over-power both her and blue woman, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t surprised at the brashness of the woman’s defiant act. And, to be honest, Bash was acting a bit out of character although his glare returned to normal as he turned his head back to face her.
 
“Yeah.”
 
Gwen stepped away, evidence bag in hand, to shut the door but then leaned back in.
 
“What the hell name am I even processing?” Gwen was looking toward the back seat again.
 
Bash glanced back at their collar – a simple glance this time – and, again, raised an eyebrow in question.
 
Blue woman sat up on the edge of the seat to get closer.
 
“Jane,” she responded, “Jane Doyle.” The difference in blue woman’s words this time was that they were solely focused on Gwen, the green in her eyes increasing in their intensity.
 
Bash’s eyes narrowed, but Gwen simply nodded at the woman and shut the door. As Gwen jogged around the front of the car toward the station door, Bash powered down and removed his earpiece. He then put the car back in drive.
 
“Wanna try that again, Jane.” Bash sat, foot on the brake, waiting for a break in traffic.
 
“Kandra.” She finished fixing her hair – “with a ‘K’. Kandra Valkuso.”
 
“Hmmmm.” Bash was concentrating on the passing cars. “And just how much about you will Neo remember by the time she hits the front doors, Kandra?”
 
He managed to get them into the traffic flow as Kandra simply chuckled rather than answering Bash’s question. Instead, she countered with one of her own.
 
“Does she know?”
 
Bash took his turn at not answering her this time as he steered into the parking garage. Kandra only smiled at the silence that was an answer in itself.
 
“She doesn’t know.” A bit of brightness returned to her face as she spoke. “Then she’s no–”
 
“Correct. She is not my pet.”
 
Kandra bit her lip in thought as they took the curves in the garage in silence.
 
“Do you ha–”
 
“I don’t need one – no trouble finding it when I want it.”
 
“Mmmmm.” Kandra licked her lips and leaned up, resting her forearms on the back of the front seat up against the cage. She let her eyes roam over Bash through meshed steel. “I can see that, … Bash.”
 
Her scent once again wrapped around him, confirming that he really had no idea of her age. But that didn’t change the effect she had on him, and he tightened his grip on the steering wheel as his entire being responded to their proximity. Again.
 
“My name is Tomas Bashari. And I haven’t had a pet in a few centuries.” Bash focused on her reflection in the rearview mirror. “Probably since before you were born.” He was fishing for information.
 
Kandra’s attention flashed to his eyes in the mirror. Her eyes narrowed at him, and she removed her forearms.
 
“You don’t know my age, Old One.”
 
She sat back again. Her defenses were rising, and he really didn’t need that. Bash raised an eyebrow again – a friendly one this time.
 
“No, but I do know that you’re older than any other witch I’ve met.” Bash pulled them into a parking place. “Why did you surrender?”
 
Bash was sure he saw fear or even hurt flash across her features before she broke their connection and looked out the window. He put the car in ‘park’ and waited.
 
“I hate that word. Witch.”
 
She swallowed hard, and, by the time she turned back to him, any emotion that might have been there had disappeared.
 
“Because I knew I would be safe in your custody.”
 
Bash narrowed his eyes at her in the mirror.
 
“Is that an appeal or an assumption?”
 
This time her answer was fast, unguarded. In fact, she initially leaned forward with a bit of excitement just before mentally and physically catching herself, her body returning back to her stoic countenance as she spoke.
 
“I would never assu-…well, your kind have always remained neutral yet abhorred the violence. So, perhaps, call it a hope?”
 
Bash took his hand away from the keys before turning off the engine and pressed the button to lock the doors. He turned around to look into Kandra’s beautiful face and reached through the cage – his hand like that of a mirage as it appeared to open around and re-form on the other side of the metal fencing, his wrist and forearm following suit.
 
Kandra leaned forward, eyes closed, to bury her face in the small cloud of mist that his hand had become. She held completely still as the mist streamed slowly over and through her hair, up her nose and into her ears and back again.
 
“Your father, a wizard….Belchor” Bash’s words were whispered – “Met him once. He was a complete ass.” Bash chuckled before continuing. “Your mother,” he paused, but that was followed by a slight intake of breath and, “Your mother was a Valkyrie.” Bash took a deep breath and rubbed his chest at the response there. Although Kandra could not see it, he nodded his head just before allowing his hand to re-form and brush her cheek.
 
Kandra sighed when he withdrew his hand back through the cage. But there was something unusual, perhaps, about his lingering essence. Wait, no, it was more like unsettling, almost stimulating, to her magical senses like a fresh, new…
 
She launched her face toward the cage, hands splayed on either side as she spoke in an excited tone.
 
“Excellency!”
 
Bash raised his hand to silence her as he turned back toward the front and put the car in ‘reverse’.
 
“Tomas.” He corrected – he didn’t need to be reminded of the bigger picture right now.
 
He was sure what he was about to do would lead to all kinds of trouble, but he was in a no-win situation already. No jinn had ever been in his predicament – he had only legends and vague sacred prayers to the now-silent pantheons of old for reference. And soon, he would no longer be able to contain the young one within himself. The fact that, after a millennia and a half, he was drawn to this flame-haired, magical enigma whose lifespan matched his specific needs right now had to be an omen….he just hoped to the gods it was a good omen. The stirring in his chest and the acceptance it radiated answered for him.
 
“Tomas, you ar–”
 
Even though he could feel her excitement and knew she must have sensed the other presence, he interrupted her. 
 
“I would make a bargain with you, Mage Kandra Valkuso.” Bash looked at her in the mirror as he began their slow exit from the parking garage. He saw that the use of that title was well-received. “I will grant you protection.” Bash concentrated on keeping the authority in his voice, but that exploration of her mind had attuned his being even further to hers, and her excitement ebbed through all that he was. “In exchange, you will be avowed to the service of my household for no le–”
 
“Stop the car, Tomas!”
 
Bash hit the brakes just as they were about pull out into traffic. Kandra opened the back door – which, as a rule for police cars, had no exit handle on the inside – shut it and opened the passenger door. She made herself comfortable in the passenger seat and held her left hand, palm up, to Bash. Bash just looked at her hand and then at her, raising his eyebrow in question and, perhaps, some amusement.
 
“My dagger?”
 
Bash ignored her, hit the accelerator, and continued speaking as he steered them out into traffic.
 
“In exchange, you will be avowed to the service of my household for no less tha–”
 
Her hand on his thigh brought him up short. He reached down and encircled her wrist with his hand. He put her hand on the console and held it there. Of course, he wanted much more than a simple hand-holding from her, but his bargain must be met first – it was required. Bash swallowed his lust and continued.
 
“Although it has no form as of yet, it is at peace with the dag–”
 
Kandra laughed and tried to yank her hand out of Bash’s grip. The jinn held fast.
 
“With my dagger.” She emphasized her ownership – “And already you indulge it.” She shook her head just in the slightest. “You so need a Nanny, Excellency.”
 
Bash was speechless as she reached over with her other hand and stroked his wrist, the implication of that motion not lost on him.
 
“You have my vow of loyalty to you both, Tomas Bashari, until you choose to release me.”
 
Bash hit the brakes and turned his full attention to her, their gazes locked as multiple car horns began blaring from behind them.
 
“I do not bargain for it indefinitely.” Bash allowed his hand to become his true form again, the mist wrapping and rolling around both her wrists so that they could not move.
 
Kandra looked down at their point of connection and blew a soft breath into the mist that was part of this old and powerful jinn. His soft intake of breath was all the confirmation she needed that the companion she had sought for tens of lifetimes had been found. She returned her gaze to his.
 
“I give it willingly.” She winked and smiled warmly. "Old maaan."

The honking increased and was now accompanied by some shouted obscenities.
 
Bash’s gaze turned dark and sinister, and the car’s interior suddenly felt very cramped with his power. Kandra could feel the pressure of his magic as it pressed outward. He uttered a single, indecipherable word under his breath, and the rising cacophony behind them was instantly silenced.
 
Immediately, his gaze returned to normal as did the feel of the air around them. His ‘hand’ re-formed to pat hers in reassurance as a brief smile graced his lips for the first time. He re-gripped the steering wheel.
 
“Then you have my protection, Mage Kandra.” Bash pushed the accelerator, and they headed toward home. “You belong to us now.”
 
Kandra felt her entire body relax for the first time in over century.
 
Behind them, dozens of cars with dead batteries remained in traffic formation and a good number of once-vocal drivers wandered around, unable to comprehend why they could no longer speak.

Author Notes
'made us' - investigative speak or slang meaning 'figured out we're watching them' or 'figured out we're cops'.
Collar - suspect under arrest
Uniforms - uniformed beat officers
Wagon - refers to the coroner's vehicle

Image of 'Jinn - Print/Poster Wall Art' from Google Images via Etsy [www.etsy.com]

     

© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement