FanStory.com - Evading the Lawby Mistydawn
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Berryvillle Pd is closing in
Eyes on You
: Evading the Law by Mistydawn

Jimmy is sprawled out across the couch, the TV blaring in front of him. A recess commercial comes across the screen. That sounds good, he mumbles as he drifts off to sleep. Someone pounds on his door, startling him awake. The intruder bangs again. He glances at the clock and sees it's nearly midnight. Who'd stop by this late? Jimmy asks as he struggles to get to his feet. He then remembers Tommy's promise to check on him after his big heist. He's such a good friend, worrying about me when he has so much going on. Yawning, Jimmy hobbles towards the entryway. The intruder pounds again.

"Berryville PD, open up." 

What does the police want with me? A horrific thought suddenly comes to mind. I hope Jen and Tommy are alright. In a state of panic, he throws the barrier open.

The two officers reach for their guns. Realizing he's unarmed, they lower their hands to their side. "We'd like to speak to Tommy Campbell, please."

"Tommy doesn't live here."

"We were told he was here." Jerry peeks his head through the door. Jimmy steps in front of him.

"He was here, but he left."

"May we come in?" The detective pushes past him before he has time to answer.

"Sure, come on in. Make yourself at home. Would you like something to drink? How about I fix us a little snack?"

Jerry spins around. "I don't appreciate your sarcasm, son."

"Well, I don't appreciate you barging into my home. There is a thing called invasion of privacy you know."

Jerry steps in front of him leaving a mere centimeter between them. Glaring into his eyes he asks: "Do you know where Tommy went?"

Feeling uneasy, Jimmy takes a step back. "He's probably visiting his wife at the hospital."

"Where else would he go?"

"Home, to his boys."

"Anywhere else?"

Jimmy throws his hands in the air. "Hell, I don't know, I'm not his damn keeper."

Jerry watches his movements, his expressions for a hint of a lie. "Have him call us if he shows up again, alright?" Jerry hands him his card. He starts to walk out the door when a thought occurs to him, he turns back around. "If I find out you're hiding him or helping him evade justice, I'll lock your ass up, got it?"

"I don't know where he is, honest."

"I hope for your sake you're telling the truth." Stepping out of the house, Jerry slams the door behind him.

***

Antonio Hernandez and his crew shuffle into the dank warehouse. Flipping on the lights, Antonio spins around. "You idiots! You stupid idiots! I told you to wait for the signal, but you didn't listen. No, you got all gung-ho and ran in before we were able to disable the alarm."

"Sorry, boss." The crew simultaneously mumbles.

"Do you know how much money we lost tonight? Do you, well, do you?" He asks, throwing his hands in the air.

"No, sir." The crew replies in unison.

"I'll call you when I have another job. That's if I don't decide to replace you. Until then, I don't want you to come back here and don't be hanging out together, especially not in public places."

"Yes, Sir." The crew trudges to the door.

Seeing Tommy walk past, Hernandez reaches out for him. "I need to talk to you a minute."

This day keeps getting worse, and worse, Tommy thinks as he turns to face him.

"I want you to know that I'm not blaming you for any of this, alright."

"I appreciate it, sir."

"How would you and your friend like to work for me exclusively?"

"We'd like it very much, sir."

"Good, meet me back here tomorrow morning around nine."

"Will do, and thank you for this opportunity."

"Thank you for being such a great worker. Now go home and hug those kiddos for me."

"I will, sir."

"And Tommy, please stay away from the canines."

Tommy laughs. "I plan to, sir."

I can't wait for this damn day to be over, Tommy thinks, as he heads out of town. I'll check on Jimmy, tell him the good news and then head home. He's almost to Jimmy's house when two cop cars zoom past him. "The donut shop must be closed tonight." He laughs.

An unsettling feeling comes over him when he pulls up to Jimmy's house. Running down the sidewalk, Tommy burst through the door.

"I didn't do it," Jimmy yells as he throws his hands in the air.

"It's only me." Tommy chuckles.

"Oh, Tommy, you have to hide, man, you have to hide." Jimmy anxiously replies.

"What's going on?"

"Jen called, said the police are looking for you. About a half hour later the police show up at my door asking if I know where you might be."

"Did they say what they wanted?"

"No, they just said I should tell you to call them when I see you again."

Tommy runs to the window and anxiously peeks out. "You didn't tell them I'm coming back here, did you?"

"Of course not. Why are the cops after you?"

"It probably has to do with the house I broke into today."

"The one with the vicious dog?"

"Yeah, when I broke in I found three people dead. I got scared and ran out the back door."

"You didn't tell me about that, man."

"I didn't want to get you involved." The totality of his situation suddenly hits him. "Oh, Jimmy, what am I going to do, what am I going to do?" Tommy collapses on the couch.

"The first thing you need to do is call Jen, tell her you're alright." The ringing phone startles them causing them to jump. "I bet that's her now," Jimmy says, reaching for the device. "Hello, he just walked in. Do you want to talk to him?" He starts to hand it to Tommy when he hears a clicking noise on the line."Jen, he has to go, he says he loves you and he'll call soon." Hanging up, he turns towards his friend. "You have to get out of here like now, man!"

"Why?"

"The police was listening in on the call. Here, take my cell." He grabs the device from the table and tosses it to him. Pulling the keys from his pocket, he slides them across the table. "The car out back is registered to Aunt Thelma. You'll be better off taking it instead of mine."

"Thanks, Jimmy," he yells, running for the back door.

"Stay safe man and keep in touch. " Tommy waves.

Jimmy nervously glances out the front window, Then hobbles to the one in the back. He sees Tommy climbing into the car. You better hurry, man. Hearing shuffling outside, he anxiously glances towards the front and then back at Tommy. Hurry man, hurry. His front door flies open. He looks towards the noise and then the alley. He sees Tommy's tail lights fading out of sight. He made it.

A tall well-built officer stomps towards him while the remaining crew scatters through the house." Where is he, Jimmy?" the brawny officer demands.

Taking a deep breath for courage, Jimmy anxiously turns around. "Where's who?"

"Your friend, Tommy, where is he hiding?"

"I already told you he's not here."

"We know he stopped by just a few minutes ago, so where is he?"

"I swear he's not here."

"He's right, sir, Tommy isn't in the house," another officer replies.

"Did you tell him we're looking for him?"

"I didn't get a chance."

"What do you mean you didn't get a chance?"

"He walked in when I was talking to his wife. I told him Jen was on the phone and he took off."

"Is he on foot or did he take his car?"

"His car, I guess."

"You guess?"

"I didn't actually see him jump in and leave, but his vehicle isn't in the drive."

"Whose car is out front?"

"That's mine."

"Why wasn't it here earlier?"

"My neighbor just returned it."

"If you see Tommy, tell him to give us a call. Don't think about helping him, because I won't hesitate to throw your ass in jail for accessory after the fact." The officers storm out the door.

Jimmy picks up the phone and dials Jen's cell. "Jen, it's Jimmy..."

"What's going on?"

"Tommy says he loves you and he'll stop by as soon as he gets back from Maryland."

"Maryland, what's he doing there?"

"A special job, one that will pay for your aftercare."

"It's not illegal is it?"

"Of course not. You get some rest I'll see you real soon."

"OK, Jimmy, good night. And Jimmy, thanks for letting me know."

Hanging up the phone, he grabs his keys off the table. That'll teach them to tap my phone, he snickers, heading out the door.
 

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement