FanStory.com - Unicorn Dreamsby Heather Knight
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dreams do come true.
Unicorn Dreams by Heather Knight

The meadow is so big that nobody knows where it ends. And very few people know that near the stream north of Heather Mountain there is a school. It's not your average school, it's a school for horses.

Sugar started studying there when she was a very young filly and most of the time she loved it.

One day, Mrs Hay asked the little foals what they wanted to be when they grew up.

'I want to work on a farm like my dad,' Jason said.

'I'll join the circus as soon as I can,' answered Lily who excelled at PE.

'What about you?' Mrs Hay asked, looking at Sugar.

'I'll be a unicorn.'

Mrs Hay and all the other foals started laughing.

'Unicorns don't exist, dear,' Mrs Hay told her in a condescending tone of voice that cut through her worse than any knife could have.

Sugar swallowed her tears and didn't speak again till it was time to go home.

Time passed and, even though she never mentioned unicorns again, not even to her parents, she continued believing. But then she turned five and she realized they had just been a figment of her imagination.

Sugar loved reading and she often went to the forest with a book and spent hours there.

One day, after having a serious conversation with her father about marriage and children, and telling him she wanted to stay single, she took her tattered copy of Black Beauty, a couple of apples and stormed out of the stable she shared with her family threatening never to come back.

After trotting for ten minutes, she reached the trees and sat down to read and munch on her fruit.

She was so absorbed in her story that she didn't notice the sound of hooves approaching her.

'Hello there,' a slightly hoarse voice said.

Sugar looked up and found herself staring into a pair of silvery blue eyes. Her stomach did a somersault even though she wasn't sure why.

Standing opposite her was a beautiful white horse, the most gorgeous she had ever seen.

'Hello,' she answered, her voice shaking like a baby leaf in a winter storm.

She stared at him and, despite her agitation, noticed he had a shiny horn on top of his head. He was not a horse... he was a unicorn....

'I have never seen you before,' the unicorn told Sugar.

'I come here quite often,' she said. 'I'm Sugar. What's your name?'

'I hate my name. I'm called Agele. I wonder what my parents were thinking...'

They talked for a while and when it got dark, Agele offered to walk Sugar home.

'Your parents must be worried,' he said.

After that first encounter, they met every day and became really close. Sugar realized she had fallen in love.

'I'd love to kiss you,' Agele said one day.

'Then, why don't you?' Sugar asked, blushing.

'Because if I do, you will become a unicorn and maybe you don't want that.'

'I've always wanted to be a unicorn. Ever since I was a little filly.'

Agele kissed her and the world stopped moving and at the same time twirled like mad.

The next day, Sugar went to see her parents to tell them what had happened and wrote a note for them to take to Mrs Hay.

Sugar's Dad looked at the note. It simply said, 'Dreams do come true.'

'What does this mean? he asked his daughter.

'She will understand,' Sugar told him, a mischievous smile dancing on her lips.

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement