FanStory.com - The Potentate Plummetsby LisaMay
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A moral fable repurposed for our times.
The Potentate Plummets by LisaMay
Write a Modern Fable writing prompt entry

The mega-rich, alpha-male Overlord of a mighty nation decided he needed a sumptuous new palace and an impressive new throne from which to address his subjects while pontificating on all matters. 

He sought the best architects, designers and artisans to create these two masterpieces. They drew up plans for him based on what he had indicated his taste to be: multi-story, plenty of bling, neon lights and shiny artificial surfaces. 

The huge throne was built first, using the strongest quality heavy-gauge teflon, superior grade stainless steel, designer diamonds, flashing spotlights – you name it, it had it. It was enormous and very attention-grabbing. It was bedazzling: the spotlights bounced off its mirror finish. It was big. It was great. Everyone said so.

When the throne was finished, work got underway on the palace and new residence, but it was soon discovered that the plans had to be modified because there was no concrete left, or stone or trees for lumber either. Every available construction material had been used in an extensive building project down south.

This won’t be a problem, thought the Potentate. I’ll do a deal and get those designers to build it out of grass, there’s plenty of that still available, unless all the peasants have eaten it. So a multi-storied extravaganza was built and it looked rather nice. It embraced the natural look more than the Leader had previously admired in his edifices. 

He thought the best place for his monstrous new throne would be the top floor, so he arranged for a crane and a team of workmen to manoeuvre the weighty object into position. The throne was carefully settled into position and the illustrious Ruler climbed aboard. 

With a mighty whoosh!! the grass parted and the throne and its inhabitant plummeted many stories all the way through each floor right to the bottom. And the moral of the story is: people in grass houses shouldn’t stow thrones.  



Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed.

Author Notes
The Potentate probably got a 'grassy arse'. Thankfully, no Mexicans were harmed.

     

© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement