FanStory.com - Change of Plansby Mistydawn
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An intruder changes Tommy's quest
Eyes on You
: Change of Plans by Mistydawn

Summary
Finding out his pregnant wife Jen needs a costly operation, Tommy turns to a life of crime. They're in the middle of one of their jobs when the owners come home. Tommy is taken to the station for questioning then released. He's trying to rob a house on his own when a dog attacks him.

Tommy is trying to install the lady's satellite, despite the agonizing pain that continues to surge through his leg. Of course, her bickering over every little detail doesn't help his fatigue a bit.

"Wipe off your feet, don't move that, be careful," she screeches, scrutinizing his every move. The perfume she bathed in this morning makes him gag.

"You shouldn't be working if you're sick," she spouts as he's hacking up a lung.

"I'm not sick," he wheezes, blocking his nose, hoping to get away from the smell.

"Then why are you coughing so much?"

"Your perfume makes me gag."

"I wouldn't expect someone with your caliber to appreciate the finer things of life." Raising her nose in the air, she storms out of the room.

People in my social status wouldn't be stupid enough to spend money on half the shit you rich folks do, he thinks as he gazes around her collection of goodies. "The uglier the piece, the more they seem to be worth." Hernandez once said. Ain't that the truth? he thinks as he packs up his equipment.

Stepping into the hall, he quickly glances around. Finding the coast is clear, he tiptoes towards the den. You deserve to be robbed after all the shit you've given me.

He'd just set the camera in place when he feels a sharp pain radiate through his lower leg. He looks down to see a small ferocious beast clamping down on his calf. He reaches for the dog, hoping to pull him away. Tommy loses his balance, stumbling into an oak bookcase. Knickknacks crash down all around him as he slides to the floor. The dog continues to tear into his leg. Using his other foot, he thumps the dog in the head. The mutt yelps as he scampers across the room.

"What is going on?" the lady asks as she steps through the door. She notices the broken keepsakes scattered across the room. "My trinkets, you've broken my precious trinkets." She scoops up a few of the salvageable pieces as Tommy pulls himself off the floor.

"I wouldn't have bumped into the shelf if your mangy mutt hadn't attacked me." He points towards his torn pant leg.

"You must have provoked Pookie to make him attack you."

"I didn't do a damn thing to your vicious mutt outside or in here."

She opens the front door. "I want you out of my house, now."

"Gladly." Grabbing his stuff, he storms through the door.

Tommy is loading his equipment in the truck when his cell phone rings. Realizing it's his boss, he quickly answers.

"I just received an alarming call from Mrs. Ford. She says you purposely broke a shelf full of valuables is that true?"

"I fell into it trying to get away from the mutt."

"Get away from her dog? I thought the attack happened outside?"

"It did, then the dog saw me in the house and decided to finish the job."

"Are you able to drive?"

"I think so."

"Go to the hospital, I'll meet you there."

Throwing the equipment into the truck, Tommy climbs inside. "You're going to be sorry you ever met me." He sneers as he spins out of the drive.

***

The sergeant finds her detectives working at their desk when she steps in the door. Surely, they've found something by now, she thinks as she walks towards them.

"Do you have any news for me, guys?" she asks, plopping down at her desk.

"The school claims John Harris returned to campus late last night."

"So, he isn't our shooter. Have you found anything on the Honda Accord?"

"I didn't find anyone locally, so I'm going statewide."

"What about the list of volunteers?"

"None of them drive a Honda and they don't fit the neighbor's description. The manager doesn't believe any of them worked when the Harris' did either." Jerry reaches for his phone.

"What about the material?"

"We haven't heard back from them yet, sergeant."

Jerry hangs up his phone. "Sergeant, that was the lab, they said the DNA from the blood found in the yard isn't in their data bank, but they did determine the victim is a healthy white male. They said they'll try to determine an approximate age as soon as they can."

"I bet we'll find out if it's a thirty-something the neighbors saw driving the Honda."

***

Tommy is sitting in the hospital waiting for his turn. He was supposed to be next, but a car accident bumped him to the end of the line. I wonder if any of these guys have money. He quickly scans the room for possibilities. His analysis is interrupted by his boss.

"How are you feeling, Tommy?" he asks as he sits down beside him.

"As good as can be expected, I guess." He pulls up his pant leg and shows his boss his leg.

"He did take a chunk out of you."

"It could've been worse." He grimaces as he lowers his pant leg.

I'm about to make it a lot worse, the man thinks, glancing at Tommy. "The customer claims you purposely broke her valuables and is threatening to file a lawsuit against you and the company. She says she'll forget the incident if we reimburse her for all the broken items and if you don't press charges against her."

"It wouldn't have happened at all if she'd put the dog up like she was supposed to."

"She claims he was locked up in the den, and you opened the door without her permission."

"I was bitten in the den, but the door was wide open when I walked in."

"Why were you in there?"

"I thought I saw another TV, so I was going to connect it to the satellite. When I didn't see one, I started to leave and that's when the dog bit me."

"He just came up and bit you? He didn't bark or growl first?"

"He didn't make a sound, boss, honest. He came up from behind, grabbed a hold of my leg and hung on for dear life."

"She also claims you were rude to her, used foul language and moved things that didn't need to be moved."

"The old bat had it out for me the moment I stepped in the door. Making snide remarks about me and my wife just to get me riled."

"That may be true, but until we can figure out what really happened in the house, I have no choice but to suspend you."

"Suspend me, but boss you can't do that. I have a wife and four kids to support."

"I don't want to do this, especially not to you." What he's going through. "But I have to follow company policy, otherwise, my ass will be on the line."

"I won't press charges and I'll reimburse her for everything I broke just please don't suspend me."

"I'm sorry, Tommy, but I don't have a choice in the matter. You can pick up your last paycheck tomorrow." Standing up, he slowly walks towards the door.

***

After being released from the hospital, Tommy decides to visit his pals at the warehouse. He had decided against working for Hernandez but now that he's suspended, he's going to need some type of money coming in.

"Tommy old buddy, what brings you by?"

"There was a problem on one of the jobs. So my boss wants me to take a few days off, to rest up." Tommy shows him the bandaged leg. "I was hoping you had some work for me."

"What did you get yourself into, lad?" He looks at his extremity again.

"A damn ankle biter came after me, tore me up pretty good."

"I see. Well, we don't have anything planned this afternoon, but meet us back here around seven thirty."

"I will, sir."

Hernandez glances at his watch. "I hate to cut this short, but I have somewhere I really need to be."

"I'll come back tonight, Sir," He replies as he's being escorted out the door.

***

Jerry sees the sergeant walking by when he looks up from his desk. "Sergeant," he says, motioning her over.

"What is it, Jerry?"

"I wanted to let you know that I've called all the hospitals in a 60-mile radius and only one person came in with a dog bite today, it's a guy by the name of Tommy Campbell."

"Is someone picking him up?"

"He's not our shooter. He was attacked during a routine satellite installation."

"This is a strange coincidence, sergeant."

"What is, Kirk?"

"Tommy Campbell is thirty-two and he has sandy blond hair." He points to the screen.

"Does he own an Accord?"

"He doesn't own a car, but his in-laws have several and one of them just happens to be an old Honda."

"Talk to the customer see what she can tell us about the dog bite and call his in-laws, see if they still have the car."

"I'm on it, sergeant."

"Sergeant, the lab confirmed the blood found in the bedroom belongs to the victims."

"What about the fingerprint?"

"I've run it through every system imaginable and still can't find a match."

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife
Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.

Berryville PD

Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective

 

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement