FanStory.com - One Regretby Mike Stevens
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My 'ead banging days!
One Regret by Mike Stevens

I'm proud that once upon a time, in the swirling mists of time, I was lead screamer of the biggest metal ever, Held Under--okay, the five of us and maybe a parent or two thought so. Oh, we had dreams of sleighing the giant Grunge Beast that roamed the Earth, stomping on the hapless heads of heavy metalers from around the globe who were fast becoming an endangered species. I had visions of a kind of zoo, where there would be a plaque proclaiming us to be "the last of a vanishing breed of young people who once thrived in bars everywhere" along with a second plaque warning, "Warning! These creatures have been known to chew the heads off bats, and urinate in public."

From my rapidly approaching old age, I look back on those heady days of youth and alcohol with amazement that I was a part of the Rebellion Machine-O-Fire-And-Damnation (non-metal Grungers description). I have only one regret--well--including not being able at times to remember my own lyrics a bit later on, my deer-in-the-headlights facial expressions, and the overwhelming feeling of being a short-haired fish in an ocean of long, better make that four regrets, and that is penning a song that took an absolutist view of a serious subject. "Cross To Bear'
was about someone's close relative committing suicide. I actually knew someone this happened to, and listening to it now makes me embarrassed that I was ever came across as unfeeling. Not that I was, mind you, but how could I think that would make a good subject for a song? Other than that, the fact we sold over five records, and bankrupted three taverns and a Chinese restaurant, it was a groovy, GOOD time!



     

© Copyright 2024. Mike Stevens All rights reserved.
Mike Stevens has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement