FanStory.com - I Am Not...by Y. M. Roger
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sometimes, it's not the appreciation that matters
I Am Not... by Y. M. Roger
A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry

“You sit right here, Mr. Shannon. I’ll be right back.”
 
Mr. Shannon looks at me like I’m an alien. That’s okay. Some days, my volunteer work at the Senior Memory Center makes me feel like anyone but myself.
 
I am not Mr. Dowden’s step-daughter who used to come on Sundays. We’re not open Sundays and, according to his son who drops him off each week, the step-daughter stopped coming around when Mr. Dowden ran out of money for her. I do find his slippers regularly and let him give me a few dollars in exchange. Of course, I give the money to his son when he picks up his dad.
 
I am not Sheila Mae, Mrs. Thomason’s sister, who apparently always took her jewelry from the case on their blue dressing table. Okay, so there’s no blue dressing table here and Sheila-Mae - according to Mrs. Thomason’s husband who drives her to and from the Center - died in prison a few years back. But I make sure to stop by Good Will each half-price Tuesday and pick up a few different brocade pins for her - I tell her I ‘got them back’ from her sister for her.
 
Oh, and I am definitely not Mr. Pierpont’s hot, little Katie that he says should be wearing a lot less than my volunteer jumper. And, yes, he is a complete inappropriate embarrassment to both of his daughters that take turns bringing him to the Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I still sing his requested ‘Earth Angel’ to him before his nap each day just like Katie used to do.
 
And I’m well aware that none of my Companions appreciate the things I do while I’m trying to help. But, then again, that’s not why I do them.

 


Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300

Author Notes
Not sure if this is the 'intended angle' of the contest, but without more specific directions than those given, it's my angle. :) :) Let's just say, I did it my way - lol! I hope you enjoy!

Image from Right Choice Adult Care and Activity Center [rightchoiceadultdaycare.com]

     

© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement