FanStory.com - Rocklands Reservoirby Chrissy710
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My current place( Approx 400 words)
Rocklands Reservoir by Chrissy710
Sense of Place Short Story writing prompt entry

Today, the first of January 2019, sees me sitting in the sun’s warming rays.

I have just enjoyed a cooked breakfast and now sipping on my coffee, I look around.
 
How can I describe this place?
 
A distant cawing of crows can be heard, while in my immediate space, buzzing bush flies attract my attention.

Green leaves upon tall gum trees sway in the gentle breeze, their follage glistening in the sunshine.

Saltbush grows profusely along the reservoir edge, encroaching into the foreshore and beyond. Black branches support their thick green growth.

Spinifix bush grass sprays out along the ground. 

Dry leaves and twigs form mosaic patterns upon the orange sandy dirt.

The sky, a clear blue, not a cloud in sight. The only occupant the sun’s globe.
.
Peering through the salt bush I see  water sparkle and shimmer like bright stars dancing as the waves sweep the water along.

Throughout the water, stands tall, dry, dead tree stumps, marking their territory.
.
A dragon fly hovers before it takes off at helicopter speed.

Catching my eye is finely spun spider threads attached between thin twigs. Unbroken these threads flicker and dance while small insects dart in and around, keeping me mesmerised within this simple beauty of nature.

The peaceful ambience of this bush campsite allows my otherwise busy persona to relax and enjoy my free time.

Selected after a day travelling along rough pot-holed bush tracks this site offers exactly the required perception of isolation.

No other people around.

Self sufficient our small campervan, annex, and outdoor cooking facilities allow the ‘comforts of home’. Solar powered panels catching the suns rays generate power to batteries that keep our refrigerator cold.

A cool beer and a glass of wine the order of the afternoon.

A gas generator fires up to heat water for a shower and the portable loo negates the need for shovel toilet requiements.

Oh yes we do not go without.

But for now to enjoy being free to read, write, draw, eat, drink, sunbake, walk the dog, paddle in the shallows, and be together with my husband with no other commitments to either family or friends is my idea of a perfect getaway.
.
The serenity is appreciated and the opportunity to enjoy this beautiful small selection of my homeland is unsurpassed.

The moment is now.

I will soak in the sun (no strap marks for me)

What a way to herald in this New Year.

 


Writing Prompt
Write a 400 to 700 word essay describing a place. This should be a descriptive short story, make sure you describe the place very well. This place you are describing can not be a place in your imagination, dreams, ext. It has to be a real place, preferably a place you know very well. You do not have to have been to this place, and this can be a made up story. Be creative and descriptive!

Author Notes
Currently in the bush having trouble loading my images of the reservoir onto this post so I thank SheryleG for the image I love A Sunburnt Country
i hope my prose will describe my location adequately without the need for image I will add one as soon as I can and meanwhile Thank you for reading my work
Cheers

     

© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement