FanStory.com - A Very Merry and Happy Christmas in by poetwatch
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A short story of fact and fiction.
A Very Merry and Happy Christmas in by poetwatch
Christmas Magic contest entry
Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Snow furies are keeping the people in the Northern part of the country from venturing outside. The smell of wood-smoke fills the comfort of their homes, while we find ourselves toasting in the blazing sun. It rarely snows in South Texas, the last time was about 100 years ago.

 

My friends and I are outside drinking tequila and making our own smoke. It's the twenty-third of December 2004. It was hot earlier, but the temperature has been dropping. It's getting cold. We build a fire of mesquite and ebony wood to keep warm. As we huddle together over the blaze of the fire, we share stories of our Christmas past. We joke about  dressing a mesquite tree with Christmas decorations, about spending the day in our wooden, cardboard insulated homes, singing Christmas carols,  and  drinking hot chocolate with family and friends. Yeah, those were the days when Santa Claus was a belief, now we drink beer, tequila, and whatever spirit that lies in front of us. It's getting colder and I add a log on the fire. The weather forecast has a cold front coming South and we all wish for snow.

 

"Hey Joe, what do you think? Could it really snow?" Alex asks, a wishful dream mirrored on his face.

"Nah," replies Frank, "If we get anything it will be hail like we got last week." He's always the pessimist.

"I don't know about that, Frank," I reply. "The weather is not up to the weatherman it's up to God."

"Ahh, come on Joe. Next thing you'll tell me is that you still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny."

"No Frank, I believe that Christmas is meant for our Lord Jesus Christ. Santa Claus in his red suit is the hardships we endure because of man's desires. Yet, we know so little of what transpires in this existence we call life. The Father and the Son know all."

"Joe, I also believe," say Alex.

"You guys are dreamers. I believe the only thing we will get for Christmas day is hail. Hail from hell."

I just look at Frank and smile.

"That's why we are friends because we all have and say our thoughts. We all have the choice to believe in whatever we choose. Now, sourpuss, light up that smoke and pass it on."

 

We are silent for a while as we examine our beliefs and stare at the fire. I add another log. As the flames rises I see an image of... wings? It looks like a bird. A phoenix? New life emerging and disappearing only to come back and live forever. Just like the Lord Jesus, He came and died and yet, He still lives in the hearts of many.

 

"Man, this shit is good," I think to myself and take another hit.

"Hey Joe," says Alex, " don't hog it all. Pass it on. Here, have another drink of tequila."

 

That's how we spent that day. As the evening wears out, we call it a day and go home.

 

I feel  restless, and not wanting to go inside I go out back to stare at the stars.

My eyes stop on the Archer, the center of the Milky Way. He seems to be pointing his arrow in my direction. It's so captivating. I sense my spirit rise into the center of those stupendous sparkling stars. I want to touch them, for they touched my soul. They are all around me, big and beautiful.

"Where am I?"

"You're at the center of all that you can see. Would you like some star-milk or some hot tea? Or would you prefer an arrow through your heart?" a voice resonates in my mind.

"Whoa! I'll take some star-milk if you please, for an arrow through the heart will kill the love within me."

"Wise choice. The hot tea is punishment, the star-milk is wisdom. What would you like to know? You get one answer."

"With all the mysteries of the universe I only get one answer?"

"That is correct."

"Let me talk to myself for a minute, Ok?" What would I like to know? There is so much. I don't want to know the future or when the world will end. I don't want... Man, so many things are running wild in my head... Wait a minute-- why not? Ok, I'm ready."

"What would you want to know?"

"There are many things I would like to know, but I'll settle for this. I would like to know if we will have snow on Christmas."

The stars begin to glow as thunderous laughter echoes through my spirit and then... a calming peace.

"You are an innocent child. No wonder the Lord of Light smiles on you. The answer to your question you shall see."

 

I find myself on the ground, gazing at a cold and clear night with the stars twinkling in the heavens. I go inside and to bed.

The next day the forecast appears the same. It's cold, so I go next door and continue partying with my friends. We finish the tequila and start on some  mescal, searching for the worm.

 

"Hey dudes, I had a weird night, didn't get much sleep. Can't recall much except that I drank some milk and went to sleep."

""All you had was tequila, Joe. Did you get the worm later," snickers Frank.

"Piss off, Frank." 

 "I'm only kidding dude."

"Yeah, I know."

We build a larger fire, finish the mescal, and pass the joint around. As it gets dark, the rain starts coming down and it is cold. We put out the fire and go home. About midnight, I'm awakened by all the yelling and laughing. I get up to see what's causing the commotion. I don't know if it's ice or snow falling hard, but it's covering the whole area. By Christmas morning everyone is out, building snowmen in their yards. Some guys place theirs in the back of their trucks and cruise with them around town.

"Merry Christmas," whispers a voice in my ear.


Author Notes
It snowed in Brownsville in 2004! That was a magical time for us. The story is as true as I can recall. :) That was a long time ago, but I still feel the cold and beautiful snow. May you all have a wonderful Christmas or whatever you celebrate and a great and prosperous New Year.

     

© Copyright 2024. poetwatch All rights reserved.
poetwatch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement