FanStory.com - Scene at a Boat Rentalby Bill Schott
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a one-scene script
Scenes
: Scene at a Boat Rental by Bill Schott

Pallas and his older brother Pez stand on an old dock next to a half-sunken, wooden, fishing boat. The peeled and faded BOAT RENTAL sign is behind them.


Pez: This one should rent cheap.    Points to the swamped boat in the water.

Pallas: I wonder why that one is still here.

Pez: The rest might be at the bottom of the lake.

Pallas: I barely recall going out in one of these boats. Dad was duck hunting.

Pez: Oh yeah! That was the only time he hunted on a boat out in the lake.

Pallas: I think he fell in.

Pez: Yeah! He told us that he spooked some mallards from a sand bar. He stood up and shot, but the blast made him lose his balance.

Pallas: Then he did fall in the water. I barely remember. Gosh, I must have only been a toddler.

Pez: I guess you were three or four. Not in school yet.

Pallas: Why would I be in a boat in the middle of the lake.

Pez: I think Dad was working third shift. He was babysitting you while Ma was working.

Pallas: I remember it a little better. He was swearing and smacking the water.

Pez: He lost his shotgun in the lake. Oh god!        
Pez's eyes snap wide open.

Pallas: What is it ?!           Pallas looks around and sees nothing.

Pez: That's when he found the body.

Pallas: What?

Pez: Yeah. He fell in the water, lost his shot gun, then tried diving down for it.

Pallas: You said he found a body?

Pez: Oh yeah! It was some guy who was murdered.

Pallas: Murdered!? How?! What?!

Pez: The guy was only under the water a dozen feet, but a rope was around his legs and his hands had been tied. Somebody dumped him with a couple cement blocks to hold him down.

Pallas: And I was there?!

Pez: Yeah, but I'm sure he wouldn't have told you; a dumb kid.

Pallas: I was there?!

Pez:  He never did get his shot gun back.

Pallas:  What about the dead guy?

Pez:  I don't remember.

Pallas:  Was he someone anyone knew?

Pez:  Sheriff Shawn knew him.

Pallas:  Sheriff Shawn. That guy shows up when people die.

Pez:  Yeah. Somehow we weren't surprised that law enforcement was interested in a killing.

Pallas:  Who was the dead guy?

Pez:  I never found out, really.  It was all handled on the QT.

Pallas:  So we never knew who this guy was?

Pez:  Maybe, but who remembers? It was a lifetime ago.

Pallas:  Where was I when I was a kid?  I feel like I must have had blinders and earmuffs on.

Pez:  People protected kids back then. They didn't have to know all the crap in the world.

Pallas:  I must have lived in a bubble.

Pez: Bubbles are good. They mean life. It’s when the bubbles stop you’re done. Then it’s just time to take the boat into the shore.




 

Author Notes
Image from Google

     

© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement