FanStory.com - Angelic Work of Artby Y. M. Roger
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
There's more than meets the eye...
Angelic Work of Art by Y. M. Roger
Flash Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

This July’s art show had been extremely busy, and, at half past ten, Colin was ready to call it quits. His was the only pavilion that had not closed for the night, but he always hated running off potential customers. He wiped the sweat from his brow as he answered this last customer’s stream of questions.
 
Yes, he had painted all of them himself. No, the wheelchair did not hinder his abilities to reach his canvas. Yes, he’d been paralyzed from the waist down in Afghanistan over a decade ago.
 
“But you look so tan!”
 
Amazing. Were people in wheelchairs not allowed to get some sun? But, instead, he swallowed that retort and smiled as broad as he could manage.
 
“Well, time at the ocean with friends will do that, I suppose.”
 
She looked a bit perplexed as she gazed down at him and back at his painting, but she let it go.
 
“I’ll take this one of the young girl or is it a fairy or, perhaps, an angel sitting on the beac-”
 
“No, ma’am. See the sign here? This one’s not for sale.” Colin had a genuine smile on his face as they gazed at the painting together. “I would be happy to commission one for you, though.”
 
Her face screwed up in consternation. “No, I need it for my brother’s party tomorrow night, and he requested your work in particular.”
 
Unflustered, Colin rolled himself over to a collection of beach scenes. “I have a few other beach landscapes over here. They are certainly my favorite subject.”
 
She lingered at the other one a bit longer before finally joining him. She chewed her lip as her eyes scanned the scenes and looked back at the other one a few more times.
 
“Are you sure tha-”
 
“I’m sure, ma’am.” Colin kept smiling. There was definitely no changing his mind on the matter.
 
She finally conceded. Colin wrapped her purchase and signed the package as he always did. Bidding her a good evening, he went through all of his displays, covering and tying things down for the night.
 
He rolled back to that painting and relaxed. He felt the ocean breezes begin to buffet his face, heard the waves begin to lap at the beach. Just as the salt air filled his lungs, his Miriam stood and stepped to the edge, reaching her hand out to Colin.
 
“I thought she’d never leave!” Her smile was as radiant as the day they had met on the beaches in Ireland when he’d been but a boy, “Come on, handsome, it’s too hot out there!”
 
Colin leaned forward in his chair and, closing his eyes, took the hand of his angel that had not only saved his life in Afghanistan but delivered him from the bondage of his wheelchair every evening since.
 
Standing with his feet in the sand, the setting sun warm on his skin, and Miriam pressed up against him, Colin contemplated not going back.
 
Just as he did every night.

 

 

Recognized

Author Notes
Exactly 500! ;) :) Thank you for reading... :)

Painting "Beach of the Angels" by Denise Worisch [www.deviantart.com]

     

© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement