FanStory.com - Tanka11/04(curvaceous barbed wire)by Pantygynt
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
5-7-5-7-7=31 Syllables
Tanka11/04(curvaceous barbed wire) by Pantygynt
Tanka Poetry Contest contest entry

 



curvaceous "barbed wire

can be a beautiful sight"


twisted spectacle

where captivity's symbol

gropes for votes in freedom's land





 

Recognized

Author Notes
The illustrious president of the United States made the remark quoted in this tanka while addressing a Republican rally in Montana 3rd November 2018. His idea of beauty does not tally with mine, but they do say that it lies in the eye of the beholder.

IMPORTANT NOTE

I have stumbled on some helpful guidelines to tanka writing put together by FanStory instructor Ray Griffin. I realise that some of my tanka this year have not always come up to this standard, but I promise to try harder in future. Here are those guidelines.

1. The haiku-like first three lines establish an EXTERNAL FOCUS often through the use of nature to set the tone and tenor for the tanka. The first two lines should be grammatically connected.
2. The last two lines serve to deliver EMOTIVE IMPACT to the reader. These lines should be grammatically connected.
3. The third line of the tanka must SERVE AS A SATORI on the first two lines AS WELL AS A PIVOT to begin the last two lines. It is this feature of tanka that most often fails in entries for FanStory tanka contests.
4. Tanka may not exceed 31 syllables but it may have fewer in short/long/short/long/long format.
5. Personification, metaphor, simile are permitted in tanka. Note wording here. This does not mean their presence is essential
6. Capitalisation and punctuation should be used only when necessary. i.e. proper nouns etc.
7. No end rhymes.
8. Alliteration should be avoided, or used sparingly if deployed.

     

© Copyright 2024. Pantygynt All rights reserved.
Pantygynt has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement