FanStory.com - Man Lost by michaelcahill
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
when to set aside pre-conceived notions
Short Stories and Flash
: Man Lost by michaelcahill
    100 Word Story Contest Winner 


First light reveals to me a breakfast of wishes, whisked to the horizon on a floundering ship of hope. What I wouldn't give to hear the irritating clanging of an alarm clock, or receive a phone call telling me this has been an elaborate prank.
 
I often think, now, I could slip off this raft and sink like a rock to my merciful demise. I'm not that kind of brave though, as I continue my courageous attempt to survive.
 
I am not the Ancient Mariner. The stars tell me nothing, the sun merely mocks me.  I'm lost at sea. I have water and there's food swimming around me in abundance. I'm no fisherman either.
 
I feel neither joy nor dread as a canoe approaches from an island that appeared from nowhere. There are several people on board who I once would've called primitive tribesman. As they approach, I redefine civilization.


 
tribesmanincanoearger44


Writing Prompt
Write a story that is between 100 and 150 words. The trick is you must use the following words: breakfast, light, rock, phone, clock
100 Word Story
Contest Winner

Author Notes
150 words exactly, Microsoft Word and Fanstory Editor.


     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement