FanStory.com - A Night Like No Otherby HarryT
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A once in a lifetime happening.
A Night Like No Other by HarryT
A Strange Summer Night contest entry

It was a night like no other in my life. It began when my wife and I journeyed down south to Asheville, North Carolina to spend time in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We love being among the peaks that venture though the blue mist that rolls like mellow, ocean waves. Hiking among the evergreen forests dotting the majestic mountain range is a favorite past time of ours. Breathing in the exhilarating mountain air brings refreshing renewals to our souls. When we are in the Blue Ridge all seems right with the world.

After spending the day on the trails, we cook out at our rented cabin. After unpacking hot dogs, buns, and accoutrements for the preparing of "Chicago dogs" from our battered blue and white cooler; I went to the car and brought the bag of marshmallows we had planned for a campfire dessert. My wife reminded me that she liked her marshmallows singed brown and not a burnt ash black.

After we finished our meal, we sat and watched a flame orange sun wink out as it slid behind a western peak. Tired from the hiking adventures of the day, we decided to turn in. I fell into a deep sleep.

It was strange, before long I saw a gauzy image of my father, who was back in Chicago, hovering at the foot of our bed. I bolted upright, bumping my head on the headboard. Dad stood there, a whitish glow emanating about him. He didn't say anything, then he gave a slight nod and vanished. I slipped from under the bed covers and shuffled to the foot of the bed. Just empty space. I looked about. I paced the floor. I questioned myself. I began to dress.

My wife sat up and said, "What in the world are you doing? It's the middle of the night."

I said, "I'm scared, I think something happened to my father."

"He was perfectly fine when we saw him on Sunday."

"I know, I know, but I had this dream or something. He was standing at the foot of the bed. I have to find out if he's okay."

This occurrence happened years before cell phones. The only telephone was a couple miles away near the entrance to the park. I hustled myself into the car and sped down the road. I stopped near the lone phone booth next to the closed camp store. I dropped in a dime and dialed the long distance operator. I asked her to connect me with my father's phone number. I dropped in three quarters and my dad's phone rang and rang. I let it ring ten times and then hung up. Maybe he's out, he sometimes plays cards, I reasoned.

I picked up a book, pulled out my flashlight, and sat on one of the rockers on the store porch. I called again, and again there was no answered. I began to panic. Not knowing what else to do I called my sister, she was sobbing as she picked up the receiver. She said, "We didn't know how to reach you. Dad passed away tonight. He had a massive heart attack."

     

© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement