FanStory.com - Michelle doesn't ride side-saddleby CD Richards
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A poem
A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities
: Michelle doesn't ride side-saddle by CD Richards


When young Michelle was booked to ride "The Prince",
it made a lot of fellow jockeys wince.
Imagine if at racing's hallowed Cup,
a girl should win, and thereby show them up!

And so it was, in two-thousand-fifteen,
Miss Payne was duly crowned the Race's queen.
The boys, determined not to shed a tear,
all vowed that they would try again next year.

They'd better practice hard right up 'til then,
to challenge this esteemed equestrienne.
 

Recognized

Author Notes
Today's word: equestrienne (n.) a female horse rider.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm not a fan of horse racing. Still, when Michelle Payne won the Melbourne Cup in 2015, riding Prince of Penzance, it was a big deal, as she became the first female rider to do so. "Ride like a girl" is a movie due out next year about her story.

In terms of prize money, the Melbourne Cup is the richest turf race in the world, and second in total prize money only to the Dubai World Cup, which is run on dirt. In comparison, the Kentucky Derby ranks nine, and the Grand National ten, in prize money.

Worldwide, that's a lot of blood money.

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.

Thanks for reading.

Photo by Tmaggs1 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons.

     

© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement