FanStory.com - Reinstate Pluto!by CD Richards
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Some wrongs must be righted...
A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities
: Reinstate Pluto! by CD Richards

 
The astronomers went with a hunch,
just as reason had stepped out to lunch;
for it seems so contrary,
we're no more a denary,
I would bet that they're all proud as punch.

For they gave poor old Pluto the heave,
that's an action quite hard to conceive;
but our friend could still win,
be permitted back in,
giving Pluto, and sense, a reprieve.
 

 

Author Notes
Today's word: denary (n.) a group of ten.

In 2003, a planet of slightly larger size than Pluto was discovered in a far-out orbit. Originally designated 2003 UB 313, It subsequently became known as Eris, and brought the number of planets in the solar system (briefly) to ten.

In a moment of insanity (in what must have been a very slow year in astronomy circles), Pluto was downgraded to "dwarf planet" status in 2006. However, there is some discussion of restoring the planet's proper status. In case anyone fears that scientists are about to accidentally commit a sensible act, the same recategorization which allowed Pluto back into the fold would also cause other bodies (more than 100 of them) -- in particular moons, such as our own, and Jupiter's Europa, to also gain recognition as planets in their own right.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/03/is-it-time-to-restore-plutos-status

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.

Thanks for reading.

     

© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement